Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 21:51   #1

Suggestions For Pirate Ship Looking Boats

The first time I saw a picture of a Formosa, I fell in love, and that was the beginning of my interest in sailing.

I have yet to own my own boat, but I am to the point that I am wanting to start getting serious about finding the one for me.

So here is my question... What other boats have a similar 'pirate ship' look that the Formosa has? I am aware of the Vagabond, and honestly am leaning more toward a Vagabond than a Formosa (I get told repeatedly, 'Formosas are leaky boats. Don't buy one!'), but surely there are others that I can keep my eye out for that have the similar look. I have cone across one or two Ta Chiao, but most of them that I see stray from the feel.

Anything pop into your minds? And a sidenote, any reasons that I should possibly NOT consider a Vagabond?

Sorry it's such a broad question, and that my experience level is low, but with all the wisdom on here, maybe someone can point me in the right direction. It's truly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
travy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 22:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Suggestions For Pirate Ship Looking Boats

Wooden hull, gaff rigged, bowsprit.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 22:42   #3

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Cheoy Lee made some piratey looking ketches
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 23:46   #4

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

My old dock partner had a Westsail 32. A lot of folks thought it looked like a pirate ship.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 00:18   #5

Boat: Tops'l Schooner
My boat

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2820511173.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	86630
Wattsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 02:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Travy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 02:47   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
It's in the eye of the beholder, but I think some of the black hulled Freedom designs look a bit piratey.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 04:29   #8

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Wattsailing,

+1.
Old 15-08-2014, 05:14   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I think most German home built boats are like that. And they are mostly painted in black which adds to the pirate styled imagery.

So if you want a black heavy tank that sails like one have a close look at marinas in the Med: Ibiza, Barcelona, etc..

Beware their disillusioned owners tend to think their floating pieces of furniture is worth $$$ due to the most unfortunate factor of being hand crafted ;-)))))))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 05:15   #10

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

From one big boat newb to another, check out particular boats and their construction. For instance I think this boat is quite cool.
Used Timber Cruising Yacht for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Sure, cut off the hideous dodger.

Apart from that it is a splined carvel plank construction. From what I understand the method has some good advantages in that it is nice and watertight and doesn't require recaulking often like a normal carvel build.

However due to the fact that it has different timber spliced into the seams of the planks (usually epoxied) it can split the seams if it is left on the hard for a month or more due to the different expansion properties of the timber when it dries…

That being said from research I read about numerous boats that were 30+ years old with that construction method, purportedly maintenance free and it is probably an irreplaceable piece of workmanship.

The Formosas you mention have screwed teak decks (from what I have read). Having played with stainless steel screws in fibreglass and timber I would be very frightened of dealing with x,000 aged ones punched into the deck and leaking. From my experience it would be like trying to preserve the shape of butter while removing embedded spoons.

Disclaimer - I am not experienced in either of the things mentioned above, just relating some real world experience of materials combined with research and best guesses. Please if I am off tangent someone else correct.
Old 15-08-2014, 06:04   #11

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Whatever you buy, add ratlins, a proper jolly roger and enough 10 gauge cannons to be considered a formidable threat to all but the most powerful navies. And forget the 10 gauge blanks, arm your ship with the real thing.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-08-2014, 07:07   #12

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I think the George buehler Archemedes designs looks down right shippy and piraty. It looks a bit like Wattsailing's boat.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 07:20   #13

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Whatever you buy, add ratlins, a proper jolly roger and enough 10 gauge cannons to be considered a formidable threat to all but the most powerful navies. And forget the 10 gauge blanks, arm your ship with the real thing.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1408112351.200638.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	86635

All we need now are rations and cannons!
Old 15-08-2014, 07:25   #14

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

We have a modern design, sloop rigged, very little brightwork, and we still hear kids holler "Look at the pirate ship!" as we glide by.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 07:27   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
pirate Re: Suggestions For Pirate Ship Looking Boats

sorry, but vagabond does NOT have a WOOD hull, but is FIBERGLASS..
it seems more folks denounce formosa and hardin and ct and sea wolf and hudson without knowing thing number one about them. rodlmffao.
there is no reason NOT to buy a formosa or vagabond or other of these marques. all the alleged deal breaking items normally complained about do not exist on these, as they are more easily repairable thaan in the more sleek looking performance cruiser styles (except the really pricey ones)
they are easily repairable under way if necessary-- all of the drive components are readily accessed even under way. i cannot say that for many other designs.
they are specifically designed to sail tradewinds.
they are excellent boats. solid. no oilcanning and minimal weather helm even when ye screw up and trim "wrong". no cored hull bs, either.
and i willbet a nice cold ocho of modelo negro these are much more comfortable in stormy and bashing conditions than your sleek performance oriented cruising sloop. dryer also. in a heavy bashing situation, we will make faster way than s sloop or cutter, as we can keeep more sail up longer without compromising boat and comfort.. (i LOVE this part....lol)
they have encapsulated non lead keel. goood tracking while under way, and excellent comfort factor.
no they dont race well, but they were not designed for that.
if you have marque specific questions, please pm me and i will answer factually and realistically, as i am actively cruising one at present , and i will not trade for anything... (unless someone dies and wills me a 47 vagabond, or 51 formosa or the like...LOL)

these things are awesome characters and sail quite nicely. they were not designed to pinch or sail way close to wind.. but they can be trimmed to sail effectively and fast.. they LOOK awesome cool and AARRRGGHH when cutting nicely through water.
buy what makes your heart throb, and the perceived defects will be repaired and you will love her as i love mine despite and because of this one leaving me stuck in strange places, it is the best boat i have ever sailed, bar none. even better than my old perry...
uhoh did i say that out loud??!!

as for hull material-- formosa/ct/seawolf/hardin/hudson all have fiberglass hulls. pre 1970, there were some wood hulls but those were made in yokohama and hong kong, not in taiwan, and were special order custom.

omy

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote