Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 15:57   #1

Spanish for Sailors

Once upon a time I read about a book on Spanish for sailors. Does anyone know what the title or author is? Or maybe you have another book to recommend for someone with a little knowledge of Spanish and heading down to the Sea of Cortez (this fall).

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 16:31   #2

Got Mine

Google Kathy Parsons' Spanish for Cruisers. My new one is on the couch right here next to me. In total, more than I use, but if I need to say "5/8 inch transmission bolt" it's in there.

Only one gripe: to keep the size of the book small, pages are about half the size of a sheet of letter-sized paper, all the better to throw in a bag; consequently, the print is just a bit small for these 50-yr old eyes.

Maybe see you in the Baja,
Jeff
Old 14-06-2010, 20:58   #3

Fantastic

Jeff,

Thanks for the title. It's exactly what I was looking for.

If the type is small for 50-year-old eyes, then my 60-year-old eyes are really going to be tested. I guess I might need the magnifying glass that I use to read charts!

I'm hoping to be crewing on Si Bon, a Beneteau 411, out of San Diego. I live near San Francisco. The owner will be down there for the long term, eventually on his way to the Caribbean, but I will probably jump back and forth to the U.S. ... family obligations.

Thank you again.

Cheers.

Marcus Libkind
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 04:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Also check out Kathy’s online “Freebies”
LANGUAGE GUIDES for Boaters who Travel ... : SPANISH FOR CRUISERS and FRENCH FOR CRUISERS

And her Women & Cruising site
WOMEN AND CRUISING - Advice, Resources and Inspiration for Women Cruisers

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 05:13   #5

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Amazon.com: Streetwise Spanish : Speak and Understand Everyday Spanish (9780844272818): Brenda…

This book can be very useful also. A word meaning one thing in Cuba can have a total different meaning Mexico. This book helps sort all of that out.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:52   #6

I would recommend looking for the audio CDs by Michel Thomas. I have used his system to learn French, German, a bit of Italian, and now working on Spanish. His system gives you a very quick, basic introduction to the language. If you want to speak a language well you will have to go beyond his introduction. But as a starting point, I have found his CDs to be excellent.

What's more, I have found his CDs at my local library, so up to this point I have not had to actually buy any of them. I borrow them from the library, rip them to my hard drive, copy them from there onto cassette (because my car does not have a CD player), and then listen to them as I drive back and forth to work. After going through each tape 3-4 times I find myself quite prepared to move onto more advanced lessons on the language.

Good luck!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 10:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m certain there plenty of good language books, tapes, & etc (as well as a lot of crap); but nothing can compare to Kathy’s books for CRUISERS!
Where else do you find stuff like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sfc2-plumbing_610x395.gif
Views:	206
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	17055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zarpe-ExitClearance.gif
Views:	181
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	17056  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 16:30   #8

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Also this reference book, the Oxford Picture Dictionary for Spanish, quite useful for all variety of situations:
Oxford Picture Dictionary, Oxford Picture Dictionary Program Series, Norma Shapiro, Textbooks - Barnes & Noble
And for getting the hang of Spanish quickly and easily:
Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish: A Creative and Proven Approach by Margarita Madrigal - BestFreePPT.com

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote