Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 10:43   #166
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Solo cruising vs crew cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
DONT GIVE UP THE SHIP! I'd rather be stranded in heaven than cruising through hell.

is how i roll... lol rebuilt engine in absolute pairadice
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 10:48   #167

Does a fuel polishing system save fuel filters? Or does it use filters as well?
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 11:22   #168

Quote:
Does a fuel polishing system save fuel filters? Or does it use filters as well?
polishing system is a series of filters and pumps to clean up your fuel so it doesnt foulup your engine and injector pump.
if within 5 miles you are finding engine fail and black filters, you have a problem.
if your fuel is black, you have a fuel pump issue and you may find engine playing the runaway song, and you rename your engine ka lunk, as did i.
if fuel is clear and filters are black, you need to maintain your fuel with bio bor. lovely stuff. keeps algae from growing in fuel. awesome stuff.
but you have more than merely algae.
you have crud. you need to find large jugs to fill with the crud fuel, clean your tank interior manually, and then pump and filter your fuel back into the now pristine tank. it will then be usable diesel fuel. lovely stuff.
AND your filters for engine will be a lot cleaner and your injector pump will thankyou.

oh yeah if your fuel is black, check your oil level --it should show that you have a lift pump failure-- allowing oil into the fuel return. oops. if your oil stick shows too much oil in pan, you need to rebuild lift pump--diaphragm is ruptured, and oil and fuel are mixing. oops not good. kiss your nerves and wallet goodbye, as runaway is soon....serious
Old 27-04-2016, 14:45   #169

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
polishing system is a series of filters and pumps to clean up your fuel so it doesnt foulup your engine and injector pump.
if within 5 miles you are finding engine fail and black filters, you have a problem.
if your fuel is black, you have a fuel pump issue and you may find engine playing the runaway song, and you rename your engine ka lunk, as did i.
if fuel is clear and filters are black, you need to maintain your fuel with bio bor. lovely stuff. keeps algae from growing in fuel. awesome stuff.
but you have more than merely algae.
you have crud. you need to find large jugs to fill with the crud fuel, clean your tank interior manually, and then pump and filter your fuel back into the now pristine tank. it will then be usable diesel fuel. lovely stuff.
AND your filters for engine will be a lot cleaner and your injector pump will thankyou.

oh yeah if your fuel is black, check your oil level --it should show that you have a lift pump failure-- allowing oil into the fuel return. oops. if your oil stick shows too much oil in pan, you need to rebuild lift pump--diaphragm is ruptured, and oil and fuel are mixing. oops not good. kiss your nerves and wallet goodbye, as runaway is soon....serious
Hmmmm this is interesting. My fuel was black. My first filters I changed were 'dark black'.

I was surprised at the amount of dirt in the tank because only in December did I clean out the tank with petrol and a vacuum cleaner (wet one). So I wasn't expecting to have any problems with fuel on this trip. Now, on the trip over I needed to add about half a ltr of oil and on the way back my oil alarm went off when I changed the first filters, and I was surprised I'd used half a ltr again. So I topped it up then. I just assumed I was dripping oil. But come to think of it, whilst the engine bay has an annoying amount of oil around it, there is not a ltr of oil in the bay. And my engine doesn't smoke. So you may very well be right. Oil mixing with the fuel would make sense.

The engine is stuffed. It needs (without the oil issue) between $4 and $5k spent on it and then it's a risk. I'm not going to sea again with that kind of risk.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 18:51   #170

sorry. you were fortunate not to have experienced runaway diesel as i did from this. the black is your oil. oops.
rebuild EVERYTHING and keep on keeping on.
you will be ecstatic with newly rebuilt everything. i love mine!!

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 08:08   #171

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:

The boat is for me! I've narrowed it down to: Swan, Islander, Pearson and Ericsson. All great 30 footers from what I gather.

I wish I could see these boats all in one place, first hand.
Looked at a few pearson 31s a few months back. Was my first choice. Very roomy. 6'2" headroom. Great layout. I wound up purchasing a Tartan 30. Nice boat, just not as roomy as the Pearson.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:19   #172

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

One of my best friends did a circumnavigation on a Tartan 30 with his wife. A great boat.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:30   #173

Quote:
I'm a loner but I love people. Or rather, meeting people. Im a do it myself type. I want to be free from people and their issues after too long and experience a need to get back to nature. Trying to find a boat that will help me escape rather than tie me down to human necessity
This was something out of my head - which makes me wonder how many of us are hermits at heart. I like to meet people, when it suits me, and I admit that living aboard appeals partly because I can up and leave. Everyone gets lonely sometimes, but solitude suits me...and I often wonder how people can tolerate living aboard and cruising with other people - I mean, without pushing them overboard.

I'm also a wandering heart... and love to explore, but I would think so many of us do.
Old 03-05-2016, 20:22   #174

It's nice to recognize your kind of crazy in someone else isn't it. Cheers buddy.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, cruising