Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 08:55   #31

Boat: lancer 36
Re: sailing with arms and ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxaction View Post
I'm a retired U.S. Marine myself , I wonder how your daughter will look back on her violent sexual assault , that big bad daddy , couldn't stop with his iron fist ? .
don't worry a lick about my daughter. she was a marine too.
Old 21-08-2016, 08:57   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I've checked with the U.S. State Department , you may indeed travel on a U.S. flagged vessel carrying whatever arms you choose , as long as they would be legal while in your home port. You must declare them when arriving to a foreign port. Having said that , I was looking for someone who may have RECENTLY traveled while armed. Will definitely have my AR 15 and Glock 22 aboard , just don't know if it's such a good idea to bring my 50 BMG ?
What a joke ... You asked a question about whether your USA laws apply in a foreign country. If you really do travel then you know this is a silly question, but I and others tried to answer reasonably. (And Mark put it in the context this question deserves.) You have the rights granted to you by the country you visit, not some dog-given right to do whatever Uncle Sam or your state department grants you.

So sure, you can leave with whatever you want. You can float around outside the jurisdiction of foreign countries. When you come to shore most countries will confiscate your handguns, semi-autos and large magazines. Either that or you'll get turned away. Sorry that reality intrudes on your illusion.
Old 21-08-2016, 08:57   #33

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

When travelling abroad, might I suggest you skip the Belgian and Dutch coast? That's where I do most of my sailing and I don't think I like overly aggressive types with guns in my neigbourhood.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:03   #34

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
By the way , before leaving the U.S. , must register all weapons with DHS , if not , they will be confiscated upon return.
statute?
Old 21-08-2016, 09:15   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
And to the idiot who thinks I would try and carry in country , NO ! Talking about the sea , GOT IT ?

Sorry sir, it is you that needs to get it.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:16   #36

Check Noonsite, they can help.
Some countries you must surrender your firearms, which means if you want them back you have to clear from the same port. Bit of an inconvenience for some of the larger countries.
Visitors to a foreign country fall under the host nation's rules. Only pers exempt are diplomats and some military if there is a SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement).
To put it in context for the OP, if foreigners sailed into your city would you agree if they broke your local laws without consequence because of what the law was in their parent country?
Old 21-08-2016, 09:19   #37

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa

If you need guns stay at home. Please.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:36   #38

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I cannot believe you would come on a forum, ask a question that has been discussed hundreds of times, then insult people who answer. Please stay in the US. The world does no need more examples of belligerent Americans.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:37   #39

Boat: Island Packet SP Cruiser, 41 feet

Check Noonsite.com for a summary of the laws regarding firearms in countries you wish to visit.

Bahamas is pretty easy. Last time I cruised there ('14 - '15) one was restricted to total of three firearms on board. Strictly prohibited to take them ashore (no private citizen in the Bahamas is allowed to legally carry a firearm). You must declare the firearms and all ammo when you clear customs, but that's all there is to it (unless you are forced to discharge a weapon, in which case all bets are off).

Can't speak from personal experience about any other countries. Check Noonsite.com.

Shunpiker
Old 21-08-2016, 09:42   #40

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Mike O', and bvander have the right of it. The English anti-piracy bunch I mentioned earlier, fell under bvander's previous comment,
' Only pers exempt are diplomats and some military if there is a SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement).' I don't know if they are back on home soil, and that has probably permanently marked them as not welcome in a whole list of countries

So unless you wish to be labelled 'Agent Provacateur' or worse, please re-think this.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunpiker View Post
Check Noonsite.com for a summary of the laws regarding firearms in countries you wish to visit.

Bahamas is pretty easy. Last time I cruised there ('14 - '15) one was restricted to total of three firearms on board. Strictly prohibited to take them ashore (no private citizen in the Bahamas is allowed to legally carry a firearm). You must declare the firearms and all ammo when you clear customs, but that's all there is to it (unless you are forced to discharge a weapon, in which case all bets are off).

Can't speak from personal experience about any other countries. Check Noonsite.com.

Shunpiker
Bahamas has the most lenient laws on wpns aboard. Even so, a US boat this spring ran into major problems because skipper failed to declare all the ammo and weapon, which was discovered on an inspection. Last I heard he was very lucky, got away with major fines and expelled from country. Could have lost boat and spent time in Fox Hill.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:55   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks for not answering my question. I have traveled the world very extensively . I lived in Mexico , Central America , and Asia for 21 years , between 1993 and 2004. I think I have a right to protect my family when traveling , no matter what country. Problem is , one CANNOT be armed in any capacity while traveling foreign countries by land. However , the sea is another animal all together , as there are no local police. I was hopping to receive a knowable reply , not just some leftest opinion. Thanks , Mr Relaxaction
I answered your question. The answer is not "leftist" (I'm somewhere to the right of Atilla the Hun). To boil it down, don't bother. Being on your boat is very little different from being on land, where firearms are concerned. At BEST, you might be allowed to keep them on board in a sealed locker, but normally you would have to give them up until you clear out, and pay for them to keep them. Immense hassle, and very unlikely you'd be able to use a weapon to protect yourself anyway without ending up in a dirty third world prison for a very long time. It's just not a practically feasible way to improve your safety. As Group 9 said - our ideas about self-defense and self-protection are not shared by most of the world.

There's an immense amount of information in the archives of this site including a lot of first hand experience; use the search function.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 21-08-2016, 09:57   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

This thread is just going down hill.

A link to the rules has been published, the OP can seek the answers to the countries he intends to visit with his guns, although I suspect he hasn't travelled abroad before.

Therefore I am going to close the thread.

We should discuss anchors, they cause less arguments on here

Peter
Closed Thread

Tags
sail, sailing