Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 10:19   #196
Eternal Member

Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow409 View Post
Just recently saw a thread with comments from the USCG about when they would actually stop a trip. My sense is that they would much rather pick people up out of the sea(their job) than become the determiners of who is allowed to go offshore and who isn't. That said they do occasionally stop people- But in this case I doubt that the USCG had been given a specific departure time. If the Sedona crew just told the USCG "as soon as we get a weather window" as their departure date, the Coasties would have given them the all clear. My guess is that you just have to sound mildly sane, very little drool, limited twitching, etc.Maybe they should also start administering an IQ test...
OK, here's a bit more clarity on that from gCaptain:

Quote:
A gCaptain source who had worked on the Sedona over the past month had directly warned the McGlashans against the trip.

“You know how when you go back into the steering quadrant of a boat and it’s really dark? It was bright as day back there,” our source says.

He was referring to the thickness of the fiberglass in the hull.

“I wouldn’t sail that boat from Newport to Jamestown,” he notes.

The previous owner of the boat was allegedly facing significant hull delamination issues which prompted him to list it on for sale on eBay.

Our source further notes that the father and son pair had planned to sail their boat around the southern tip of Africa and through the Southern Ocean, instead of the much easier route through the Panama Canal and the along the Pacific trade winds.

The U.S. Coast Guard was informed prior to their departure of their foolish plans and subsequently gave them a final warning that departing for the open ocean from Newport on Friday with a blizzard forecasted was a very dangerous plan.

150 miles later, with their sails in tatters and hypothermia setting in, they called it quits and requested rescue from those who had advised them against going in the first place.

Australian Lunatics Narrowly Avert Death Off Nantucket - gCaptain Maritime & Offshore News
Quote:
Anybody know if they left with that inflatable on deck? I'm surprised they didn't just decide to tow it... It sure must have made working on the foredeck fun!
it just gets worse, and worse...

According to someone posting to the CG video "Comments" section, apparently from Jamestown and familiar with their plans, the inflatable was also serving as their liferaft...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:23   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
The only racing I've ever done is Wednesday night Beer Can races but I always believed any boat that does open ocean racing has a full compliment of sails, for any type of weather. I thought I read the former owner raced Sedona so when I read the story about the rescue and torn sails I thought, "Why didn't they hoist a trisail?"

I've read a number of books about open ocean sailing, including a couple about the 1998 Sydney-Hobart. Some boats were in far worse shape than Sedona yet the crew saw no reason to call a Mayday or set off the EPIRB.

I realize the crew of Sedona was no racing crew but you'd think anyone taking on a semi-circumnavigation would have proper storm sails. The day they left I would have thought a double reefed main and a storm jib, at most, would be ready to fly before departing the harbor. Could they have not been aware of the conditions?
Most racing boats, when new, are lavished a complete set of sails. This becomes an "inventory" when sails get worn and replaced as long as the owner(s) remain interested in being competitive.

Twenty years later, wishful would-be cruisers learn the hard way that this well-worn inventory of sails are not suited for going the distance.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:23   #198

Boat: Saga409 'SPARROW'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Have you ever tried towing an inflatable in heavy winds? It does not work, certainly not if it is light.
I was being snarky... The place for an inflatable when heading offshore is deflated and stowed....
sparrow409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:31   #199

Quote:
I was being snarky... The place for an inflatable when heading offshore is deflated and stowed....
Ok... sometimes text alone does not convey correctly the meaning of a comment

If Jon is correct and that was the "safety" liferaft that was mentioned in the article then
Old 16-02-2015, 13:39   #200

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I've read a number of books about open ocean sailing, including a couple about the 1998 Sydney-Hobart. Some boats were in far worse shape than Sedona yet the crew saw no reason to call a Mayday or set off the EPIRB.
This has got to be one of the most rediculous comments so far on this thread! and Blatantely untrue.

I picked the following up off another thread from a Newspaper I think. Can't verify it's accuacy but he has some good comments.

"That boat was rotting at the dock for near a decade at my club up the bay from Newport. And rotting for near another decade in Jamestown. I know people that have sailed on it, I've tied up near it on the dock many times and had a closeup look at it before , I know the prior owner and I motored out past the boat for years.

The engine, according to people I know that knew the boat well, never worked reliably even when it was new. All the gelcoat had peeled off the hull and it had delamination issues. The sails were old, the standing rigging old. The through hulls - can you imagine the condition they'd be in after 20 years of not being moved?

What is a "substantial amount" of money in this case? Did they buy any new sails? Did they at least drop the rig for a thorough inspection? Clean the sludge that would be in the bottom of the fuel tank and probably killed their engine? Haul it out and replace through hulls that don't open (or worse, don't close...)?

The "substantial amount" of money that needed to be spent on the boat was not needed just to ADD things like autopilots and wind generators, but simply to bring many things on the boat back to a minimal level of safety. Rig drop, haul out, all that stuff....costs more than adding a wind generator.

When a boat doesn't get used regularly Bad Things Happen. Corrosion, seizing, rot (dry and wet) all sneak into the boat. Things don't get lubricated, checked, moved or used with any regularity. Using a boat puts regular wear and tear on it, but leaving it unused for years is worse and more insidious.

No one that knew the boat would sail it to Block Island, never mind halfway around the world, Not unless you put "serious, serious" money into it. There is nothing you could do "in a few weeks" with a lot of visits to West Marine that would make that boat ready for that sort of trip."
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 13:47   #201

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Most racing boats, when new, are lavished a complete set of sails. This becomes an "inventory" when sails get worn and replaced as long as the owner(s) remain interested in being competitive.

Twenty years later, wishful would-be cruisers learn the hard way that this well-worn inventory of sails are not suited for going the distance.
I once inspected a Bristol 39 for purchase that claim to fame was it was in an early Marion-Bermuda race and carried a 12 sail inventory. Nice boat for back bay sailing, but it's M-B race was one of worst years in history of event. So despite a new engine, paint and 12 sails, I passed on a well stressed and distorted hull and rigging.

Quite pleased to put in a 2 year refit on the only sailed on Sundays to church boat I eventually purchased. So can not even imagine taking a well worn racer to Oz in the New England winter blizzard series of current.

Thank god for the CG risking their lives to save such dreamers. Too bad the CG will not get reimbursed for their efforts. Glad all safe despite.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 13:50   #202
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Julie.. you'd be amazed what's out there.. less storm sail.. and just a main and furling genny..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 14:45   #203

Some final thoughts.....

Jason's Interview:
After Coast Guard Rescue, Australian Defends Doomed Sea Trip - NBC News

Also:
Yes, they were cautioned. Pretty much everyone they had contact with prior to their departure expressed their concerns.

"They had acknowledged the risks ahead before they left"

Aussies abandon ship - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Page One

I don't know these men. But I do want them to know that despite their misadventure & the justified anger over the danger they put themselves & the CG in, that we wish them well. And that they and others learn from this. This story could have been truly tragic with lost lives but now its over.
These men are reading these comments & other forums online. As well they should, they should certainly be aware of the severity of the situation. But they're getting a real non-stop & in some cases outright hateful bashing & it's enough for anyone.
Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:13   #204

Boat: Mariner 36

Those stains on that boat put some hard driving, base jumping, lady killers in great peril. USCG swimmers, sailors and pilots. Get Some. Thankful for men like them saving fools like us. Semper Fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:28   #205

Boat: Melody 34

That's Semper Paratus.

strangertides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:33   #206

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
Some final thoughts.....

Jason's Interview:

Also:
Yes, they were cautioned. Pretty much everyone they had contact with prior to their departure expressed their concerns.

Aussies abandon ship - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Page One

I don't know these men. But I do want them to know that despite their misadventure & the justified anger over the danger they put themselves & the CG in, that we wish them well. And that they and others learn from this. This story could have been truly tragic with lost lives but now its over.
These men are reading these comments & other forums online. As well they should, they should certainly be aware of the severity of the situation. But they're getting a real non-stop & in some cases outright hateful bashing & it's enough for anyone.
Well, reading the above interview doesn't instill me with confidence that he's learnt a lot at all.

And it also appears he's down playing any Coast Guard concerns about their departure. No Coast Guard anywhere would 'approve' a departure. It's not their role to do so and would I suspect put the organisation in quite a legal difficulty if they were to do so.

They may be getting a 'hateful' bashing elswhere, not that I've seen, but CF has been I think quite respectful so far. Given time and it will probably disintergrate, but so far the comments have been very respectful.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:39   #207

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangertides View Post
That's Semper Paratus.

Wasn't Semper Paratus a Roman senator ? He had a dog called Semper Fido.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:47   #208

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

It is all over the local media in Australia, especially in Port Macquarie, their home town. The father is active in the volunteer Marine Rescue (Australian equivalent of USCG but only in close local waters), so he obviously has sea experience, but probably not in a yacht.

They apparently phoned the mother back home (so must have had a satellite phone) and she called MR who called USCG as they could not contact anyone via radio. They may have also set off their EPIRB.

The son has also posted in Sailing Anarchy forum without saying it was him giving some indication of what happened (see previous link to that forum).

All in all, they are very lucky to be alive and should also take a few courses to brush up on weather forecasts.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:48   #209

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
Some final thoughts.....

Jason's Interview:

Also:

Thank you.

BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:51   #210

Boat: Mariner 36

Nah I said what I meant.

mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, England, new england, sail, sailing