Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 17:24   #46

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Re: Sailboaters Stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
When I was growin up in the Appalachian Foothills in the 1950's we didn't have Ramen, we ate Gummint food, the free stuff: canned beef, powdered milk, 5 lb. blocks of processed cheese and stuff. It kept us from starving. I worked from 10 yrs old till 66 and enjoyed it, but griped alot, too. I ain't in the 1%, but the 47 or 53% or whatever. I don't understand the 99% folks that want Gummint everything handed to them. I like to stop in marinas as well as swing on the hook. I don't eschew marinas with megayachts. I pulled my little 31 footer right up beside a 150 ft megayacht at Charleston Municipal and enjoyed the same services as they did and I didn't apologize for being middle class. The people that defend our country are middle class. I don't believe rich folk are all bad. Just a thought......
I will agree for the most part. It seems to me, if you look deeply enough, "everbody" is "you" on some level. People who are comfortable with themselves have less desire to berate others for being different. I'm so tired of people hating that which is Different If you like yourself and know yourself, it seems a waste of time to point out flaws in others. I got flaws galore and I'd love to change things about myself, and I suspect most everybody would change aspects of themselves too if they could. The rich guy in the mega yacht, the bum in the row boat- their boat's sinking I'd throw them a line and if my boat was sinking they'd throw me one. Life is short and we all choose how to spend the time we have in our own ways. I believe we're all rediculous. Ain't so bad if you don't make it bad.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:57   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction

When I was growin up in the Appalachian Foothills in the 1950's we didn't have Ramen, we ate Gummint food, the free stuff: canned beef, powdered milk, 5 lb. blocks of processed cheese and stuff. It kept us from starving. I worked from 10 yrs old till 66 and enjoyed it, but griped alot, too. I ain't in the 1%, but the 47 or 53% or whatever. I don't understand the 99% folks that want Gummint everything handed to them. I like to stop in marinas as well as swing on the hook. I don't eschew marinas with megayachts. I pulled my little 31 footer right up beside a 150 ft megayacht at Charleston Municipal and enjoyed the same services as they did and I didn't apologize for being middle class. The people that defend our country are middle class. I don't believe rich folk are all bad. Just a thought......
And a good one at that...im not big on hand outs so I eat the cheapest on the menu.. id rather wrk ...actually id rather sail...lol
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:37   #48

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

Trailerpark with sails!
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 13:22   #49

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

There sure are some trash types you wouldn't anchor downwind of, and they sometimes get us all tarred with the same brush.

To most landlubbers we are seen with a touch of envy... bohemian free spirits with wet sandals.

But when anyone gets snippy, I just like to remember... "We're the view they'd pay millions to have"

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 21:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond
There sure are some trash types you wouldn't anchor downwind of, and they sometimes get us all tarred with the same brush.

To most landlubbers we are seen with a touch of envy... bohemian free spirits with wet sandals.

But when anyone gets snippy, I just like to remember... "We're the view they'd pay millions to have"
Right on man
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote