Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 14:46   #31

Re: ROUTE from FT Lauderdale to New orleans in end of August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
I have done the trip from Key West to Pensacola several times now. Your route looks generally good, but depending on how much time you have you may be missing some real nice stops. Consider Naples or Venice before Tampa. Also, its quite a long way in to Tampa - stage your Gulf crossing from either Clearwater or Anclote Key to minimize the distance on the Gulf crossing (and Tarpon Springs is a great stop if you have time!).

Here's my strategy for the Gulf crossing - of course there are many ways to think about this, but this is mine:
- leave from Clearwater or Anclote Key
- if there weather is good and you like how things are going, head for Pensacola (likely 2 days, 2 nights)
- if you are not comfortable, have "bail-out options", in case of weather changes, equipment failures etc. These are: Dog Island, Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin. You can get into all of these on your boat and they make great stops.

Personally I prefer to skip Destin as in the inlet is variable and at this time of year infested by jet skis, Pirate and Dolphin tours etc. If you take a look through our blog, you will see more information on the routes we have taken in the past. Good luck! Let me know if you need an extra hand!
https://midnightsunii.blogspot.com/

Neil
his air draft will not let him into Clearwater
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 15:33   #32

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yep. This time of year, that's what I would do. Wait in Key West for a good weather window and then directly for the Mississippi barrier islands. Avoid the delta and the oil rigs.

That 72 foot mast is going to be a pain in the ass everywhere in the southeast U.S. I can't believe anyone would buy a boat with a mast that tall without even knowing what the bridge heights are in their area.
Wow! That's a little harsh considering he has access to the gulf from his own dock with no bridge problem and further considering he is leaving to sail the world! Their beautiful Leopard 45 "Freebird" will enjoy 72'mast. What mskes you think he doesn't know bridge heights in his area?
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 15:45   #33

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Bear in mind that the hight of hurricane season is end of August to mid to late September. I would not make that trip until after end of Sept.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:10   #34

Boat: Paceship, Mouette, 19 ft.

I live in Apalachicola. You can stay on the hook just inside the town bridge and dock along side for the day at the city park dock. Lots of great restaurants and interesting art galleries, and live music all day. Like Key West was in the 70's. A very pet friendly town!
There are a couple of marinas if you choose to hail them on 16. Scipio Creek and the new Apalachicola Resort Development.The intercostal is well marked except for the small channel makers entering the Apalachicola river headed for the bridge. The river is tidal well up to the 100 yr. old old train bridge as you head towards the ditch to Panama City. There may be a strong current in the river at times. River Sand bars are great for swimming deep water up to the sand.
Enjoy your Travels,
Seabat 1
Fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new orleans, route