Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 18:35   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: PNW bull rail docking

I often see bull rails up here in the PNW, but I much prefer cleats. As Stu explains the procedure in his post above (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2180495), I also like to use a midship spring line that I can drop over a cleat as I come into a slip, or alongside a dock. This way there's usually no need to get off the boat before it's secure. With bull rails there's no good way to tie up from aboard the boat.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 18:47   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
There is a big difference between step and jump. I never jump, I will step.
The same goes for us.

The whole idea of trying to do everything from the boat itself without a crew member on the dock -- unless you've got a really low freeboard is just not practical either.

We unclip the midships guard wires (aka lifelines) when putting out fenders/preparing to dock so there's nothing in the way.

The deck person usually then just sits on the deck midships, with both (lengthy) midships lines in hand, and with their feet on our rubrail (it's 6" wide and about 16" below deck so a perfect height and good place for feet while sitting on deck waiting for the stepping off moment). Then, when the boat is close to the dock they STEP off to the dock. The act of sitting helps prevent people from JUMPING, too. The whole idea is to SIT and WAIT for the dock to be right there. No reason to jump.

With varying dock heights that STEP down can be 24" from the rub rail (low dock) or even with the rub rail (dock used for big fishing boats or mega-yachts). In Alaska, the bull rail tended to be the same height as the rub rail or a teeny bit below it.

Once the person is standing on the dock, they're still holding the long midships lines and have plenty to work with if the boat is being blown off. Our boat has a seriously cutaway forekeel and high bow so if it is being blown off it will be the bow with issues.

Even in very windy conditions and with a lot of current, the only times we have ever had problems docking have been when somebody is trying to "help" by taking a line and yanking the bow close to the dock. At rest, with our 15' beam, the bow tends to be, well, about 8 ft away from the dock. People who have little boats with 8' beams are trying to hold our boat with the bow about 3 ft from the dock. That makes it very difficult to bring the stern in. So, we do everything we possibly can to keep our lines out of the hands of anyone on the dock unless we really know that person and feel we can trust them. When traveling, you never know who is going to be standing there on the dock but they're typically a stranger. We two people manage the entire process happily.

PS this one minute video shows a fellow taking a bight of the line and looping, making a half hitch as I was trying to describe https://youtu.be/neEVkss3ZlI
Old 20-04-2017, 09:11   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Glacier Bay

Look for the EZ Docker on google and watch the YouTube video to see how it works
Kemosabe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 09:17   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Glacier Bay

Look for the EZ Docker on YouTube and see how it works
Kemosabe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 10:45   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I don't understand the problem. Bow line and stern line both led to the midship and loosely laid on the life line in large loops.A mid ship line fastened to a midship cleat. Step off the boat- the bull rail will be at least 6-8" higher than the dock- take a couple quick loops around the rail with a clove hitch. Reach up and grab the bow and stern lines that are right in front of you, and finish up. Single hand and have never had a problem. Plus I don't have to rely on someone else who's not paying attention, pulling in my bow or stern and messing up.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 16:03   #36

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

There is never a good reason to leave the boat until docked. Use your engine to stop and your boat hook to drop a line on the stern pile. If wind/current pushes your bow around, walk forward, use you hook to push off the forward down wind pile and drop a loop over the forward dock pile or cleat. No need to rush or panic. Once the stern is secured you are in control.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking