Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2017, 08:14   #31

Re: New Mainsail with existing furling Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricator-ken View Post
The boat is 47ft
North full vertical batten main.
Furlway hydraulic in mast furler.
Reef any time in any direction in all wind conditions.
Hi all I am new here. BDSA ( Andy ) from Australia...
I have just purchased a Jarkan 10.5 mtr Centre Cockpit sloop.
Like your vessel, Ken it has a hydraulic Furlway in mast system that needs maintenance and potentially a new main sail.
Does anyone know where or how I can obtain a maintenance manual or even engineering drawings on how to remove / reinstall / replace a new main that is somewhat damaged. I can not see any halyards as one reasonably expect .
Yes you guessed it this is the first in main furler I have encountered.
BDSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 12:35   #32

Boat: Woodward 47

with the Furlway the halyard runs in a groove on the outside of the furling section. When you unfurl the Sail you should see it lashed at or near to the tack of the Sail. The furler is very easy to disassemble. There is a bush at the base which the furler turns within. This and the internal plastics the rotate on the internal stainless stay wire are the only wear factors. If you need further detail on removal contact me.
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 05:45   #33

Boat: J/88

When shopping for new sails to help my racing efforts, one of the sailmakers pitched this idea to me also. The concept was that we could hank this main on race nights and completely remove it to use the furler on normal sails. Implicit in this would be the fact that the furling main would be used when the winds are at levels requiring reefing.
I, too, discarded the idea so far but I have read these responses with interest.

Dan
Old 22-11-2017, 06:47   #34

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

I'm one to over-complicate things too often, but I think this idea goes too far. I just can't imagine the complications of this new mainsail in a questionable track with the need for new reefing system, etc. Ugg. If the problem you're trying to solve is downwind performance I'd put more focus on headsail options/configurations, not the mainsail. A storm trisail for the track is as far as I would go with what you have (although I've never used mine since I can furl my main to a tiny whisper easily and instantly.

I have a Hood mast with their Stoway furling system. I had an old Dacron sail with no battens and two years ago replaced it with a North laminated sail with vertical battens. The performance difference was remarkable, at any point of sail, and the furling ability remains effortless. It could be the best bang-for-the-buck improvement I've made on my boat.

Without deep thought I'd say buy a furling mainsail with vertical battens and have the old sail cut down to a storm trisail. Then add some sexy downwind solution to your headsail kit. That's the subject of many other threads.

Good luck,

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 19:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSA View Post
Hi all I am new here. BDSA ( Andy ) from Australia...
I have just purchased a Jarkan 10.5 mtr Centre Cockpit sloop.
Like your vessel, Ken it has a hydraulic Furlway in mast system that needs maintenance and potentially a new main sail.
Does anyone know where or how I can obtain a maintenance manual or even engineering drawings on how to remove / reinstall / replace a new main that is somewhat damaged. I can not see any halyards as one reasonably expect .
Yes you guessed it this is the first in main furler I have encountered.
I have just bought a boat with a hydraulic Furlway system. The mainsail is seriously stuck.
If anyone has any ideas on how I can unfurl it I’d appreciate it greatly. Or, if anyone has a soft copy of an operation manual they can shoot me that would be awesome, too. 👍
Thank you in advance.
pstrohkorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 20:37   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^
I think you will have better results if you start your own thread on this issue rather than hitching on to a thread last posted to in 2017.

good luck with the solution.

Jim

Tags
furling, mainsail, sail