Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: MOST TIRED THREAD TOPICS
Advantages of Multihulls over Monohulls 18 51.43%
Guns-Take them or leave them 11 31.43%
How to fend off Pirates 0 0%
Other-Please post other tired thread topics below 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2008, 11:45   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

One thing this forum lacks are repeat threads saying how great things used to be on the forum. Cue for tired old joke.......

Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 12:06   #32

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
I voted "Other-Please post other tired thread topics below" because you didn't give an option of "none of the above".

As an Administrator on another site (using the same software as this one)... our rules completely disallow the editing of messages except 1) If the user requests it (users have 10 minutes to edit a message, after that they can't change it), 2) removing content from a posted message unless (C)opyrighted or 3) a deliberate spam message.

Even then we remove entire messages and not "sections" of a message. That's us though, and they have different rules here, but if those particular things are specifically verboten then, that's the rules.

Otherwise, my suggestion (as I would suggest to folks on my site) would be to disregard threads you're not interested in reading

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 12:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Nobody is being forced to read, or engage in a thread. If it is tiresome to you then simply move on. I have seen new point of views after you think everything that could be typed has been typed. Then all of a sudden it starts up again. Mostly it's whiners that bug me, and second is know it alls.........
HEY!

I'm a "know-it-all" and I admit it. lol (ok, on CERTAIN subjects!) - and oh, I hate whiners too.

Old 29-09-2008, 13:04   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
One thing this forum lacks are repeat threads saying how great things used to be on the forum. Cue for tired old joke.......
Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be
I’d be happier to be viewing questions about what most interests our members, than I am this “negative” proposition.

I suppose I’ve read (or at least, scanned) something like CrusersForum 200,000 posts.

Not surprisingly, I’ve seen many of the same basic questions & comments repeated many times, in many varying ways. Many of those posts didn’t particularly interest me - some did.
Like a library with hundreds of thousands of books, it only takes a few interesting volumes to keep me coming back.

I scan everything, read (for comprehension) some, and contribute to a very few threads. Even so, I spend many happy hours (some days are more happy than others) perusing the forum, and contributing where I can, and choose.

In 2003 ALL the threads were "new"; but (even then) some were more interesting (to me) than others.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 13:20   #35

I had an additional comment.

In years past I was the Forums administrator for a site called "The Anomalies Network"... it concerned things like Bigfoot, UFOs, alien abduction kind of stuff... not that I'm a believer in that stuff, but the owner contacted me an asked me to run the forums specifically.

Over the years we had literally thousands of posts and reposts of similar (and sometimes identical) material. No matter how many times we admonished the posters to "Please search first before posting" and then to "stick to already started threads on similar/same topical material, it was really irrelevant.

Essentially as GordMay is saying the site has 200k plus messages. I've not read all of them, and in fact far from it. I'm a long way from doing so on this site. Only been reading the site a couple months and registered much less time.

But, if you're a poster here and you've been here a long time ( a couple of years perhaps?) then you're going to see repeats as new people come and go.

On the site I currently handle (it's a geo-politics related site) I don't even know the message count offhand, but even I have posted over 8000 messages by myself in about 2 years or so. We repost news articles so most of the stuff posted is "new" messages, and news. Myself and others constantly remark on various aspects of anything from what the Russians are doing to hobbies and other things as well... even though the site has a very good focus - we will allow other threads and like this site we have forums set up for specific things.

At the same time, we do pretty much allow anything-goes discussions in some areas of the site, with the caveat that thread topics remain on-topic and material be properly posted, copyrights cited etc.

This site is not much different from ours in this respect, and we don't allow "advertising" directly on the page, but if someone has ads on their site, that's ok, they can still post a link. (Apparently here that's not allowed....) - Our site has NO advertising at ALL (except for a tiny thing in a news scroller).

When it comes down to it, I don't really see the necessity telling people NOT to discuss certain topics even when it comes down to a search for those topics. (They can certainly resurrect some subject threads here as on my site...and what harm is there in doing so?)

Those of us new to sailing have more questions than we're likely to have answered in the rest of our lifetimes... but if we get some of them answered and learn the rest through rote or experience, what harm is there in continuing "tired" discussions for the benefit of those new?

Update: Just found the exact number of posts and stuff on the site I admin now...
Threads: 5,050, Posts: 26,157, Members: 129

We have no where NEAR the number of posters there we have here. The other site I mentioned at times had several thousands of posters and more messages than I cared to read too! lol

Old 29-09-2008, 13:36   #36

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I am tired of the Mono better than Multi based threads.

Sailing by definition is the art of controlling a sailing vessel. By changing the rigging, rudder and dagger or centre board, a sailor manages the force of the wind on the sails in order to change the direction and speed of a boat. Mastery of the skill requires experience in varying wind and sea conditions, as well as knowledge concerning sailboats.

Aren't we all sailors and sharing the sea.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 13:56   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’d be happier to be viewing questions about what most interests our members.
But most of what interests me is banned on CF.com.

Quite rightly as well

I think the "cure" for getting fed up with seeing repeat threads is time off - done it a couple of times myself. And I feel another break coming up.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 18:40   #38

Most tired... how much to expect to pay under a listed boat price.....
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 22:49   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I am tired of the Mono better than Multi based threads.

Sailing by definition is the art of controlling a sailing vessel. By changing the rigging, rudder and dagger or centre board, a sailor manages the force of the wind on the sails in order to change the direction and speed of a boat. Mastery of the skill requires experience in varying wind and sea conditions, as well as knowledge concerning sailboats.

Aren't we all sailors and sharing the sea.

I don't agree. And if I did agree, which I don't, I could tell you emphatically, but I won't, that mono multi mono multihulls do my boat does it better...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 08:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I don't agree. And if I did agree, which I don't, I could tell you emphatically, but I won't, that mono multi mono multihulls do my boat does it better...
There you go saying that your boat is better. What does it do better, sink when holed, heel over when the wind is blowing more that 10 knots, gives you more pleasure.

I am not one of those who tell others how bad there possessions are or what they "need", because generally that is a hurtful and mean response.

So "Relax Lah" and have a great sail, that's what I do. My wife and I go sail sometimes by ourselves and other times we take friends and enjoy being on the water. I wave at powerboats and monos, just like when I use to live in the country and everyone waved at each other as we passed each other on the road.

Unfortunately I see Monos out there that never wave back, I just assume they are mad at the world.
Old 30-09-2008, 19:18   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
There you go saying that your boat is better. What does it do better, sink when holed, heel over when the wind is blowing more that 10 knots, gives you more pleasure.
My bad. I should have used a couple of smileys. My post was in jest...

Apologies for any offense.

And so far my boat has not holed and I hope it doesn't

Quote:

Unfortunately I see Monos out there that never wave back, I just assume they are mad at the world.

Probably our hands are too busy trying to keep the stick pointed up -
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 19:53   #42

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
the gun threads are getting annoying because there are so many different laws......... SO GET A POTATO GUN, THERY'E NOT ILLEGAL
Old 30-09-2008, 23:05   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I'm tired of people reading things into posts that just aren't there and then getting grumpy over the not-there things. Sadly a bit common lately.

Come down here for a visit and everyone will wave at you. If you are a yacht (anything with 1 thru 4 hulls is equally fine) it will be a big full hand wave. If you are a powerboat the full hand wave is somewhat truncated to about 1 finger

One of my young fellas at work built a Spud Gun a few weeks back. Arrived at work monday and said he leaned it against the front of his car to fire it off with an extra bit of charge. He's now having to wait until payday to buy 2 new headlights. He'll be straightening the grill and bits himself He's not one of my smartest lads
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:24   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
My bad. I should have used a couple of smileys. My post was in jest...

Apologies for any offense.

And so far my boat has not holed and I hope it doesn't

Probably our hands are too busy trying to keep the stick pointed up -

All OK here,

and not being a one hull sailor I must remember that some of you guys have your hands full.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:42   #45
w42

Boat: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Oh NO, You just started another anchor thread.
I must say I have never seen an anchor thread. Is that like "whats the best oil to use?" thread on motorcycle forums?
Lighten up people!
w42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll