Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 18:52   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecotoad View Post
But the pitot tube and anemometer do not work on the same principles.

The pitot tube measures the dynamic pressure of the air relative to the pitot tube by slowing the air to zero movement and measuring the pressure.
Both are converting the energy into work. They do look very different but if you aligned the pitot tube into the wind the pitot tube and the anemometer would read the same value due to the same physics.

Quote:
The anemometer balances the drag on the cups facing into and away from the wind. They are built with practically frictionless bearings and remove a negible amount of energy from the air.
That's very true but only by the conversion of energy to work could we read anything at all. The amount of energy converted is irrelevant.

At this point I think we'll just settle on round-worlders and flat-worlders.
I have never seen anyone change their mind on the internet, including me, so why should this be any different?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 19:47   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
At this point I think we'll just settle on round-worlders and flat-worlders.
I have never seen anyone change their mind on the internet, including me, so why should this be any different?
Then we'll have to leave it at that. We did get pretty off topic by the end here.
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 20:10   #153

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Quote:
But the pitot tube and anemometer do not work on the same principles.

The pitot tube measures the dynamic pressure of the air relative to the pitot tube by slowing the air to zero movement and measuring the pressure.

The anemometer balances the drag on the cups facing into and away from the wind. They are built with practically frictionless bearings and remove a negible amount of energy from the air.

Check this link for the equations of motion. See page 33 or so. http://www.ieawind.org/Task_11/Recom...econdPrint.pdf

Todd

Indeed the equations to calculate rotational torque do include air density. If you note the requirements for calibration all require the precise knowledge of the air density or barometric pressure so that the anemometer can be calibrated. Note the density variables in the dynamic equation of motion on page 35, and the mean wind speed equation on page 41. It is clear to me that the air density at 10000 feet is substantially less than the air density at sea level. In actuality it is about 2/3 sea level density.

The cup anemometer differs substantially from the pitot tube, but is still affected by air density. The cup anemometer is essentially insensitive to wind direction in the horizontal plane, which makes it highly useful in a boat. I guess those of you who sail those tippy boats do have a bit of a calibration issue at times. The Pitot tube is very sensitive to direction and would be essentially useless in a boat. Also the Pitot tube works by comparing the dynamic pressure of the air entering the the pitot tube to the static pressure of the air in the static system.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 05:23   #154
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey Ex-C, you are seriously under selling CF, mate. This is one site where I have learnt some stuff including, would you believe, that I actually don't know everything and that there are some people by the way of reasoned and logical argument can lead me to consider another way of understanding - but perhaps I am just a internet bunny....

But I suspect your post was partly tongue in check .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 11:16   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hey Ex-C, you are seriously under selling CF, mate. This is one site where I have learnt some stuff including, would you believe, that I actually don't know everything and that there are some people by the way of reasoned and logical argument can lead me to consider another way of understanding - but perhaps I am just a internet bunny....

But I suspect your post was partly tongue in check .

Keeping my tongue in check is something I still have to learn...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 13:25   #156
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Reminder to self, proof read posts better - cheek - or use TLA's like TIC
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety