Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2019, 13:57   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Lower Chesapeake Bay Wind

The lower bay was a hand full last night and this morning coming back South from the York River.

I almost laid the boat on it's side but the wind laid down just a bit at around 1030-1100.

Started back South at around 0815.

Hint: Don't leave anchor with a jammed furler and a mainsail with only one set of reef points (with a fouled halyard I found out when I decided to try and raise it)

Gusts were near 29 knots (15-20 predicted) and I was very concerned with my old rigging and a jib that was flopping around. I lowered it in Little Creek after about 25 miles.

It's all about the wind gusts...…..I needed to steer more starboard but that really upset things and the boat wanted to head up hard so I headed down wind and hoped for the wind to lay down before I got near the bridge. I didn't want to have to go out into the ocean because that would have made for a very long day and possibly night trying to get everything right after the wind came down

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 23:05   #2

Re: Lower Chesapeake Bay Wind

The anchorage was nice but windy also. The good thing was the front had already passed thru.

One thing is sure though in this type wind with too much sail up and repairs to make while underway, small boat sailing will give you a workout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00386.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	193932   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00399.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	193933  

Name:	DSC00397.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	193934  
Old 16-06-2019, 13:02   #3

So we had another big wind day today, but I was at the dock having a beer or two and finishing boat repairs.

I replaced my 120 jib which ripped the foot of the UV cover off on Friday on my sail back with what the PO labeled the storm jib. It's almost new and pretty near a 100% jib.

Soon I hope to have a main with at least two sets of reefing points.

The thing is what you realize after a strong wind sail like this is what if something else broke.

Two weeks ago my tiller broke in half about 2 miles offshore, but I had both sails up to steer with.

On Friday, I only had a stuck jib most of the way out and a jammed furler. Had I broken my new (used bought on Ebay tiller for $75.00) I would have had a mess to fix while being pounded by the waves.

I was also tired from lack of sleep (on a boat) and my normal Wednesday workout which includes a 2.5 mile run, pull ups, pushups and yoga stretching. I'm old 60 plus

I paid $2,000 for my boat in 2011 and haven't replaced the rigging or anything structural

On Friday after a couple big turns by the boat to windward exposing the beam to the wind, I realized my hatch was wide open so I put in all the boards. And closed my one port. Then hooked up my tether not knowing how much stronger the wind would get

Then I hoped the wind held true because I was running South., Had the wind changed I may have run out of running room. To the South, I had 20 miles and I could have headed East out into the Ocean but the tunnel crossing my have been dicey

From racer to cruiser to me means the following: anyone can sail in light winds with big sails, but when it gets heavy, it's nice to have a good smaller set of sails and possibly a backup tiller.

These are the things you learn by buying your boat years before you cruise it and getting caught out in some pretty strong winds

My good ole boat which is said to be well equipped to sail offshore has earned my respect over these past 8 years

I could have heaved too I guess if there was a problem but in the bay with it's closely spaced steeple wave the boat and I would have been beat up pretty badly I'm thinking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00359.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	194019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00360.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	194020  

Old 16-06-2019, 14:40   #4

So, I only saw three other sailboats during my 25 mile plus sail back down to Va Beach.

One headed South maybe 2-3 miles to the East and ahead of me and two other ones headed North.

The two headed north were close to each other within a mile of each other I'd say. I passed between them

They were all at least 40' I'm thinking.

The wind by this time was NNW close to it. It was more Westerly earlier

One of the ones headed North was an older design and his course was more Northerly and closer to the wind. He was hobby horsing a bit in the big waves. His sails were a bit rounded out and reefed

The other one was headed more off the wind maybe NNE and was really looking good. It was a newer design but not a totally plumb bow. There was not a lot of movement except forward with this boat. I should have recorded them both but was busy just trying to stay away from them

If anyone knows who they were, I'd like to know the type of boats. I'd guess I met the northerly heading boats maybe 12-15 miles North of Norfolk/Va Beach at around 1000. The one headed NNE was probably going to Cape Charles
Old 16-06-2019, 18:05   #5

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

Friday was bumpy. I waited and left little Creek sat morning and the southwest winds dropped me in deltaville before noon. Met 3 other sails from Norfolk in Jackson Creek today. Been a great weekend here and looking forward to the next few weeks on the bay and Potomac.
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 03:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
Friday was bumpy. I waited and left little Creek sat morning and the southwest winds dropped me in deltaville before noon. Met 3 other sails from Norfolk in Jackson Creek today. Been a great weekend here and looking forward to the next few weeks on the bay and Potomac.
I'm thinking you made the right move waiting for the SW Wind rather than trying to beat into that NW- NNW Wind exactly where you wanted to go. The buoy reports are where I read about the strong gusts right at 28-29 knots. Speed was probably nearer to 25

(When I anchored Thursday afternoon I had almost 5' under the keel. I awoke at 1 am to see my depth finder flashing 1'. The strong West Wind had really blown a lot of water out of the bay. Luckily the tide change was about that time)

When I got inside Thimble Shoal Channel a ways the wind went more west and there was a strong out going tide. I was being pushed hard to the East. I came into Little Creek sideways being sure to favor the port side/West side in case my engine decided to shut off right at the entrance of Little Creek near both rock jetties and no mainsail. I had lowered and started the outboard near Thimble Shoal Channel where the wind had laid down somewhat

I'm thinking if you had been North though you would have had quiet the sleigh ride South on your boat on Friday. I raced beach cats for many years and loved strong downwind sails. (my last two boats both had spinnakers)

A big cat like yours I'm thinking would have just cruised along nicely in those winds and waves and the speed would have increased your control.
Old 17-06-2019, 06:51   #7

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Great video & downwind run - is that a porta-bote dinghy strapped to the starboard bow?
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 07:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Great video & downwind run - is that a porta-bote dinghy strapped to the starboard bow?
Thanks.

As for the kayak it's a Folbot (foldable) Cooper Kayak! (bought in 2009)

I thought I was going to be a kayaker but decided to get another boat

This particular kayak came in a pack. When assembled it's 16'6" long. The Sun is starting to really put a hurtin' on the skin/covering now though

I paid $1800 for the kayak then two years later $2,000 for the sailboat, but the sailboat required quite a bit more to get it where it is today. (and) It still needs new rigging.

After seeing those other two sailboats going to windward on Friday, I have now come down with two footitis! (or 10-12' itis)

Especially that newer design boat that was off the wind a bit. He was rolling along quite well......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B27@ Marina.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	194068   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	194069  

Old 17-06-2019, 14:54   #9

And speaking of the SW Wind which I sailed North on last Thursday, this was about the end of it before it turned. It was nice the squall passed a ways away

Photos were taken a couple hours before the video.

I'm about 200 yards or so off the beach in what had been 5' of water.

The good news was the temperature is upper 70's.

A good dodger is well worth the money! $2,000 boat; $1200 Dodger.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00385.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	194123   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00379.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	194124  

Name:	DSC00380.jpg