Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 14:13   #16

Boat: Bystedt, 30
Re: Leaving in July for solo Circumnav!

I made a cute little 3d animation of my route around the globe for my Kickstarter page. Thought i'd post it here...

click here to see my animation

The only part of the route that i'm seriously considering changing is sailing below Oz. I've never had a good feeling about it. Call it sailorly instinct. It's a part of the world I know the least about. I've spent most of my time researching and rigging the boat for the Horn, and far less on southern Australia.

If I go the northern route then I'll flake on my original goal, but at least I'll be safe. I have friends in that part of Australia and I can experience places I've always wanted to visit. It also gives me a few safety net options. Yeah... I'm really considering going north....
Catpainzmcspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 15:12   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpainzmcspice View Post
Hi!

After three mad years of raising money, networking and holding crappy jobs, I'm finally leaving Seattle in July to begin my 2 (or more) year single hand circumnavigation of the globe!

It's wild to think of how far I've come since 2009. I was 29, I'd just moved back to Seattle and I had nothing in my pockets but a list of goals to accomplish over the next three years. The last one on the list: "sail alone around the world and write a novel."

So that's what I'm doing!

Anyhow, I know I haven't posted much on here the last year. I've been pretty busy. Not cool, I know. Gotta keep my cruiserforum network strong.

Anyhow, if anybody will be between Seattle and Australia after July, let's meet up and have a drink!

Here's my blog: Broad Reach » sailing the planet for humanity

and here's my kickstarter page (for the novel): Sailing Alone Around the World and Writing About It by Alexander Clark — Kickstarter

-alex
If your going to Hawaii first, let me know. My plan is to sale there solo in July. Hilo will be my first POC.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 15:16   #18

Yeah, I'm stopping in Hawaii to wait for the next weather window to open up. Where are you setting sail from and what is your final destination? I'd love to meet along the way, or communicate via SSB. Strength in numbers.
Old 20-05-2012, 15:29   #19

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up Re: Leaving in July for solo Circumnav!

It's nice to again see with a bit of determination you can make your dreams come true!
Old 20-05-2012, 15:44   #20
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpainzmcspice View Post

Mark - that's great advice. Watch is one of the things I've worried about most on this journey. I've always single-handed, but never anything even close to this. Even with radar reflectors, handheld AIS, approaching vessel alarm and LED nav lights, nothing can replace alert human eyes. I'm using a staggered sleep schedule - 60on/15off/45on/25off etc - which is hell on the body, but other single handers have had success with. I really appreciate your candid concern.
First off best of luck to you, fair winds!

I did the Atlantic solo, with radar and ais. Once off the shelf everything radar picked up was transmitting ais as well. And everything was hardly anything, it's pretty empty out there Also I'm not so sure being in a constant state of sleep deprivation isn't actually more dangerous than sleeping longer, i did an hour at a time. Might be better not to plan too much, but wait and see what seems to work best out there, the danger with plans is that you might try to stick to them

Again, good luck and well done for going for it. You tend to regret what you don't do, not what you do.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 16:11   #21

I'm staying in Hawaii for now. maybe a couple years anyway. Do you have a liferaft? Yes, safety in numbers is my motto. at least within hailing distance. The Vic-Maui is in July, I'd like to coordinate with that.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
Old 20-05-2012, 16:22   #22

Yeah, let's stay in contact. Maybe work out the details as it gets closer.

There is a life raft at the boatyard that they offered me. It recently passed its expiration date so it can't legally be used on commercial vessels anymore. The only problem is that it's a 20 person raft and the container is giant. I don't know where I'd stow it....
Old 20-05-2012, 16:39   #23

Is it still in the container? when did it expire? What are the dimensions and weight? I have a 40 foot hunter. If one of us were carrying that it might be good. I have a 10 foot dinghy, full immersion suit, PFD's with harness. Getting an EPIRB before I leave. If I could fore go the expense of a life raft I could get some other things purchased.

Old 20-05-2012, 16:57   #24

I'm not certain of the specifics. I'll have to check and get back to you. Where are you leaving from? I'm leaving from Seattle, sailing down to about San Diego then out towards Hawaii.
Old 20-05-2012, 17:04   #25

I'm in Portland. Pick you up outside the Columbia bar. Or meet there and make sure of the weather before proceeding. And from what I can tell. It all depends on the location of the Pacific high. I've seen tracks from the Columbia to Crescent City, to S.F. and S.D. or all points in between.