Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 13:40   #31

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I first went cruising in my early twenties, 55 now and still at it. Had a couiple of breaks to make money.
Yes the cruising demographic has changed in those years, as have attitudes and skill levels, not always for the better.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:23   #32

Boat: Pearson 281
Shane, there is absolutely no vitrol in this and I don't know how old you are but if you are fortunate enough to make it into your 50s and 60s you will understand why some might take offense.

As it is I meet plenty of young people who are sailing on a lot of different kinds of boats on frede anchorages all around SoCal so I'm not feelin' the question.

There is, and always has been the issue of money and time as well as the fact that we are all living longer that puts "granny" out to sea. I would say that, and I can show my own foolish ism by writing that... I run into far too may young people who would be too conservative to take the risks associated with just jumping onto a boat and heading off minimally equipped with uncertain. This could have something to do with the hard(er) times we are all facing that make it more difficult to consider living in the moment instead of trying to build a more secure life or???

I often find myself quoting Betty Davis these days:
"Getting old isn't for sissys"

The generation gap is alive and well!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:23   #33

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Born on a boat at the age of...

Fishing in a Livingston 12' around Puget Sound by age 2.

Living aboard my own sailboat by age 21.

I first went cruising when I was 21. I am 23 now and plan on cruising a lot more before I turn to dust.

I have made all the mistakes. Bought the wrong (cheap) boat, lived aboard a boat that was "too small", ran aground, made stupid repairs, grossly underestimated the amount of food needed on a cruise, set sail with unreliable outboards and had them die at exactly the wrong time, hit submerged pilings, and had tons of fun doing it all.

I think the problem is that kids these days have gone soft. Cruising is not for the mindless consumers, the weak, or the soft.

So I guess you can count one more young cruiser in the bucket.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:34   #34

Boat: PETERSON 44
Good lord man best to you if at 23 you made all the mistakes. I made all the mistakes some where near 28. Then I made a few more Along the way I did a few things right though. Now its all something that happens and we call it experience. Much better as you get older as its not a mistake anymore we say we experienced a difficulty and overcame it. Others much older will gripe that they can't get insurance to do that or this. A mistake you so far have avoided I hope.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:40   #35

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Bwaahahahhaa Insurance! HA!

I am of the mind that you should be able to lose your whole boat, get to shore alive, and say "Wow that was intense!" and continue your life.

Insurance is a scam.

It's only youthful bravado that makes me propose that I have made all the mistakes. The old man inside me realizes that there are plenty of mistakes to make yet.

I can't wait until I finish this uni degree and start making wakes.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:52   #36

Boat: Cabo Rico
Dudeman hasn't been back to comment for a while. Maybe he's gone to get a job.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 15:07   #37

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Dudeman hasn't been back to comment for a while. Maybe he's gone to get a job.
... or his granny is washing his mouth out with soap...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 15:09   #38

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
It's only youthful bravado that makes me propose that I have made all the mistakes. The old man inside me realizes that there are plenty of mistakes to make yet.

I can't wait until I finish this uni degree and start making wakes.
You sure you're only 23...?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 15:12   #39

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Good on ya, Tager! You've come a long way.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 15:51   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
You might as well acknowledge the old man since sooner later he shows his wrinkled face, thinning hair and lowered testicles and all the denial in the world doesn't stop it from being so! As it happens he may have learned a thing or two on his journey to becoming.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 16:47   #41

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
A question regarding your post crossed my mind. WHAT IS OLD?? Speaking for myself, the economy set me back to sailing locally, more than I would like. Possibly people of working age are now working harder for less. Taking longer to re-plenish the cruising kitty. However, it feels good knowing the boat is ready and waiting to go, whether local or beyond the horizon.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 16:54   #42

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I reckon the OP's been dropping his hook in the wrong places.... in the Caribbean and the Med I've come across lots of under 35's out on the water....
You've just got to be in the Azores in May - July and you'll see more than 50% are under 40...
They often pop in here for encouragement but then get Pooh Pooh'd so wander away and quietly get on with it in their own way....
One friend of mine who's 26 is on his way back out to the Carib from the UK in a 100yr old boat with a bunch of fellow 'kids'.... I met him on his 1st crossing when he was just 21...
The guy is magic with that boat.... best seaman I've come across in a long time...
So Yup... I think/know its alive and kicking... you've just got to look in the right places...
More good reasons to pull up house and travel!
Old 13-11-2010, 16:58   #43

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
A question regarding your post crossed my mind. WHAT IS OLD?? Speaking for myself, the economy set me back to sailing locally, more than I would like. Possibly people of working age are now working harder for less. Taking longer to re-plenish the cruising kitty. However, it feels good knowing the boat is ready and waiting to go, whether local or beyond the horizon.
“Old” is definitely relative. Maybe it is totally like Einstein’s theory and the more active your life is the faster you go and perpetually younger you stay?

Old 13-11-2010, 17:00   #44
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
tager,

I think at 23 it is easy to have such bravado. I know I was willing to do with less while your age. At 60 I want a wee bit more comfort than a disposable boat. I am sure at 40 when you have more income, and your body starts to ache. You will understand the desire of more comfort. Not to mention what your spouse will accept. A huge good on you for having most erors behind you at your age. You have a huge jumpstart on most!..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 17:05   #45

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
“Old” is definitely relative. Maybe it is totally like Einstein’s theory and the more active your life is the faster you go and perpetually younger you stay?
The more one works, the faster life goes!!!