Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 18:28   #61

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: Is sailing dying?

On a good summer day I see a few sailboats out in the bay but sadly, there are more on their moorings. Once or twice I even commented to my wife that I wish there was some sort of a sharing program so most of the moored boats would be out sailing - that will reduce the area occupied by mooring fields and open up the bay for sailing, not to mention most of the boats would be regularly exercised.

On a calm day I see a mix of powerboats and motoring sailboats which are trying to catch a patch of wind out in the sound.

Two weeks ago I went out for a sail in 50F, 15-20 knots and 5-6 foot waves, guess how many powerboats were out there? Zero. And there were at least 10 sailboats in Long Island Sound - I think there is still hope for us sailors.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 22:36   #62

Sailing in the UK is just too expensive. Our marina has more boats for sale than not. Also the others rarely get used. It cost £6000 a year to berth and £1500!to winterise.

More and more people are turning to canal barges as live aboards.
AmberSands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:26   #63

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I see lots of sailboats, but I don’t see many actually sailing. Apparently there is a good demand for cramped low power motorboats with tiny windows and outside helms.
Thats funny right there!
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:06   #64

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Most don't even do a bottom job yearly --last 3 I have looked at bottoms were 4 years old! Is this due to I phones and video games?

Our boat is used often and the bottom is clean. We haul on a 3-5 year interval. So obviously the bottom is not done annually.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:39   #65
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the closer a sailboat is to a powerboat .. the better it sells and therefore the more popular. 2 engines are obviously better than 1. sliding glass doors and back porches are cool. healing is unpleasant. and yes it has become very expensive. the original art of sailing has been relegated to a few die hards and racers. just another man's narrow opinion.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20   #66

Being new to sailing, here is my opinion.

I think that if it is not dying a slow death, it is just not growing. IMO, it's an expensive hobby/lifestyle and it has a considerably slower gratification cycle in today's fast pace, instant gratification world. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but I would have never been able to afford the time or money when I was raising kids and trying to make a living in my younger years to learn and afford to bareboat charter.

Also IMO, unless you live pretty close to a marina or sailing club, it really is inconvenient to pick up the hobby. Living in Central FL, there really is no desire or demand for it either with anyone around my age. Many tell me that is awesome, next vacation you plan, "count us in" etc. Now that I am looking to do it again, no one has the time or money, lol...

I had a mentor tell me one time, "If it's not growing, it's dying" and he meant this about anything, plants, money, businesses, churches, etc. In my limited experience with sailing, it doesn't look like it's growing a whole lot. I'm sure in the cruiser's world, there are exceptions and it seems to be growing due to less anchorage space than years prior, but sailing as a whole just doesn't seem to be attracting the numbers it use to.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:08   #67
rbk

Boat: T37

IMO ‘sailing’ may be dying but cruising is most certainly picking up. With all the Youtube channels every millennial I meet is very inquisitive and always asks “do you know so and so from their YT channel?” What doesn’t appeal to their generation, an affordable, eco friendly way to explore the world and then post about it online (I personally don’t get that part). I think sailing clubs and dingy sailing are gaining less popularity but may pick up as cruising becomes more mainstream. I even had buddies my age and older get into the YouTube stuff and are ready to sell their powerboats make the switch and go cruising. I also think this will help support the resale market especially in the sub $80k range. With housing unattainable to many why wouldn’t the younger generation put off settling down and get out there and see the world.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, sail