Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2016, 06:51   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 2017
Is it better to ask one question at a time or hit you with a few ?

We are finalizing options on our new boat and have until end of September to make changes and then that’s it… and feeling totally overwhelmed as I am just the First Mate, but the one who is doing the research as I am the one “ laid up” nursing a fractured R foot.
Questions
Firstly We are getting Garmin equipment because it seems very user friendly and that’s what Fountaine Pajot installs. We wanted to get as much equipment factory installed as possible because FP stands behind everything they do .
Question
If we purchase a Vesper Watchmate which has state of the art AIS transponder and is NEMA 2000 compatible….. Will it talk to my Garmin 7412 Chartplotter? I am aware that it is a separate screen, but will it integrate and talk to the Garmin? I was hoping that i would not have to purchase the Garmin AIS 600 Transponder since the Watchmate is a fantastic transponder.
Looking into SSB and possible Pactor modem…Wow great stuff, but expensive. We will not be the “wealthy” sailors and Satellite internet is not an option for daily use for weather and communication. Is this the best option for safety, communication ,getting weather info and occ. short email to family etc.

I wanted to say thank you to all the CF members… You are all really Great!!. I love this forum and eagerly await my daily email that informs me of the next group of topics that have arrived.
The patience, kindness, knowledge base, experience, eagerness to help even with the simplest questions. You may scratch your noggins wondering, but with tact and wonderful sense of humor answer all the questions. Thank you all for helping newbies out there like me every single day. I love all the little emojis guys that are thrown in just at the right moment ie the whistler, popcorn eater, and the head banging one. Brilliant!
Thanks for your help.
BOKKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 13:34   #2

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 2017
Re: Is it better to ask one question at a time or hit you with a few ?

Sorry for the long winded questions. No worries the question of Garmin and Watchmate Vision was answered by Customer support from Vesper this pm.
In case anyone else has this question too...Here is his reply.

Thanks for your email and questions.

We have two models of WatchMate display transponders. The WatchMate 850 and WatchMate Vision both interface with Garmin systems and you do not need a Garmin 600. The WatchMate 850 is a grey-scale ultra low power consumption AIS transponder with it's own integrated display. It interfaces using the NMEA 0183 protocol to any Garmin MFD that has AIS support and 0183 input. The WatchMate Vision is a color touchscreen AIS transponder and it too works with all Garmin equipment. It interfaces using either NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 which allows you to use whichever system you have on-board. It also has WiFi so it can be used with Android and iOS smart phones and tablets.

It was really nice for him to reply.

Re My other topic I have done extensive searching on CF and a really nice person sent me a link to other threads. I am set.
BOKKIE is offline   Reply With Quote