Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 16:10   #1

Boat: c&c landfall 43
Insurance ?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good insurance company. My boat is in mexicos barra de navidad and I need a new insurance company. After reading the fine print on my existing coverage I am only covered for total loss.
cheers
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:25   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: insurance?

inmexico look into mexican insurwance agancies-- as you will need mexican liability in any mexican marina....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 16:35   #3

Ya thats great got any names or numbers. liability is not the issue it can be bought for 100 bucks. just a note never once had any marina ask for my liability insurance.
cheers
Old 29-06-2011, 09:21   #4

funny--wasnt the marinas that have been asking me for it--is the port captain,...lol in order to check into most mexican ports, one MUST have mexico liability ins which is minimum 211 per year.
Old 29-06-2011, 11:00   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Insurance ?

Zeehag - who do you get your insurance from?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 11:18   #6

there is fella in ensenada i went to an got them there-is near botes juanitos.
name of company isgeneral de seguros S.A.B
agente: 2926 anda padilla tonathiu
executivo Cia: tonathiu anda padilla

i got mine after i arrived--port cpt will allow time to collect the info and deal with ins and such --is laid back. i have mine for a year. mine is 50,000$us responsibility with 1000 dollar us deductible.
is very easy to get insurance for liability on boats in ensenada and all sites are within walking distance of the malecon, where most of the marinas are located.
is truly easy to check into mexico.
Old 29-06-2011, 13:28   #7

Liabiity ins. Is kinda like the fishing licience thing your supposed to have it. Most ins. Contracts should have liability. mine does. But I would be surprised If Mexico requires me to have both
Old 29-06-2011, 14:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by limmer View Post
Liabiity ins. Is kinda like the fishing licience thing your supposed to have it. Most ins. Contracts should have liability. mine does. But I would be surprised If Mexico requires me to have both

your regular liability will not cover mexico. yes mexico REQUIRES not should have it--REQUIRES the conapesca license. you CAN lose your boat to confiscation if not having that, as is considered to be poaching, a very very heavily punished crime.
mexico REQUIRES liability from a mexican company in order to check into any port in mexico. yes-REQUIRES liability ins. if yur company doesnt cover specifically mexican waters, you will NEED to get their liability. most will cover to salsipuedes, just north of ensenada.

i have checked into 3 ports in mexico so far, with intention of checking into more in my year covered---- i will be asked to provide that insurance by every single port captain on my route before i can check in. they willnot allow you to check into a port in mexico without getting their insurance.
i am currently in mazatlan. i will be here for summer, until hurrycame season is done.
Old 29-06-2011, 15:55   #9

Not sure why they would do that. We checked into Ensenada & La Paz with just our regular insurance policy and I know others in La Paz with our carrier as well. We are heading back to Ensenada tomorrow with same insurance-Markel. No problems.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 17:08   #10

yours may have a clause for mexico or coverage farther than the others i have heard from-whatever it is, one must have coverage for liability in mexico or cant check in -- some policies do have coverage, most dont.
Old 29-06-2011, 19:56   #11

I do have coverage for the area. I also would not go to Mexico without fishing or insurance coverage. They (like the US) can make life difficult if you ignore their laws.
Yeah, the different areas make their own "rules" for things but we smile & comply. I only had one issue in Mexico. I got hit up when came back from using Internet cafe in San Carlos (inside Mag Bay) for all sorts of "fees"
1) we got fuel at pier so a pier usage fee. 2) anchor fee (you ARE going to anchor aren't you) and
then some fee for something else. Since they had me in their office ALONE (my husband was on the boat getting fuel & waiting for me) I paid up. Then hurried back to boat & we got out- back to Belcher's Cove.

But I also got hit up somewhere in BF Wyoming when my alternator went out & I was trying to get to Laramie. I had no gauges & an officer stopped me, said I was speeding & he was kind enough to take the ticket in for me if I had cash. No cash? Then I had to follow him & stay overnite in jail (with my 2 small boys) to wait for judge. I said " well that's what I gotta do". He then took a check & angrily let us go. He frightened me more than Mag Bay guy. There are bad guys all over, I guess.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 17:15   #12

Hi Zeehag, how much are you paying for the mexican insurance?
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 21:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Hi Zeehag, how much are you paying for the mexican insurance?
211 dollars per year..good until april 7 or so 2012. is liability only. neighbor has a gulfstar 47 and is paying 350 or so.

Tags
insurance