Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 09:01   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
Just thought I'd whack the hornets nest with ...

Yeah, I'm being a bit of a smart a$$.
And the point of all this "revelation" is?
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:08   #17

Boat: hydrostream
Re: I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room...Full keel is dead... ssb is dead...

Quote:
YA forgot alcohol stoves, lamps and gasoline...

Today's stupid thought.. We bumped bottom with a 4'6" draft in the Chesapeake (paper charts), I grounded a 15 ft Glastron doing @30 in the Chesapeake, wasn't near any shoreline (no chart) luckily it was sandbar and a 15ft tri-hull..
Old 30-05-2017, 09:19   #18

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

From Ghostbusters:
"I like to read a lot." "Print is Dead."

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said something is dead. Funny, people still ride horses. Real Drivers still drive cars with manual gearboxes. People still use HAM radios and some even know Morse Code. The U.S. Navy finally has gone back to teaching celestial navigation.

The new and "improved" things and techniques have their place, but they also have their limitations. Rarely is something truly dead. It may not be new. It may not be sexy. It may even be looked down upon. Most likely though it has its merits and in many cases may even be superior.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:22   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Just thought I'd whack the hornets nest with a broom here.

Full keels are not dying out, they are dead. broaching in big waves, nd swamped cockpits, so heavy you need a turbo on the big diesel, bow sprits closing on 10 feet long, and the lee way OMG, trying to park or drive in reverse don't even bother

SSB installation at $6000 plus ya gotta have the whatever mail program and a computer to decipher morse code into weather maps, complexity, confusion, waiting to connect to the source, sunspots, and huge power consumption. A satellite solution is so quick, simple, easy, and cheaper.

Luke anchors that are effective are so heavy a literal crane aboard is needed to drag it out of the bilge, mantis or rocna on a chain is the latest thang.

Hard dinghy with oars? Cmon! no body uses this ancient stuff anymore. 30+ horsepower and a RIB gets us there in style well dressed not blown out to sea, capsized, sunk or paddling around against the current for hours.

tan barked canvas sails, tarred hemp lines, blocks a plenty to increase purchase vs a big ol electric winch and full battened laminate wings. guess who gets to port quicker, and who weathers the storm from plodding along at snail pace?

Paper charts? as a place mat maybe.

A mono hull? ya gotta be kidding. old news. cats are all that counts anymore.

A windvane? are you serious?! with modern wind aware below deck autopilots connected to the nmea networked chartplotter why even throw away the money on such an antique?

A boat of any kind under 40 feet? only lunatics would make any passage over 50 miles from shore or 10 hours on such a dangerous vessel

Catching rain is so 1970. do you use a tye dye tarp for that? time to get with the water making program. nice water jugs strapped to your stays and shrouds. looks quaint.

rice and beans? no. refrigeration yes.

It all flows the way of the loran and the sextant.

I'm glad you said it. Smart a$$.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:33   #20

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Agree with him on the ssb. So many easier / cheaper ways now that don't require you to sit there making noise at 2 am.

I don't know how you would be able to communacate. You can't use a phone on a cruiser net for example, you can't call for help, etc. An HF seems like basic equipment. And, if you pay $6K for an HF, you are getting screwed.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:51   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I think his being a smart a$$ was intended to be comical not something to be scrutinized? JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:52   #22

Bet you when Fulton was puttering around NY they said "Oh, the sails are now dead"... And 200 years later...
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:55   #23

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
That's certainly better than being a dumb ass!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:56   #24

Boat: Pearson

Do you have gold eyelets on you topsiders, with diamond studs?🤗
Old 30-05-2017, 09:56   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I paid around $250 for my SSB and tuner about $800 more for modem. Suppose I paid a few bucks to take the ham test. Rest is free.

Still listen to SSB weather everyday when offshore and check into nets.
Old 30-05-2017, 10:02   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
trolls are excellent baked after parboiling.

Omg! Did you post that to the boat recipe thread? I have never thought to parboil first. That must make for some tender troll.
Old 30-05-2017, 10:06   #27

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
There are three kinds of people in this world; those who are good with math and those who aren't!
OK...that made me chuckle. Thanks
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 10:32   #28

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Shouldn't this be in the thread "Grumpy old man...."?
No! I am one of those. I would reply to the OP directly except I have been attempting to behave better. My long deceased Mom said I should not pick on those who are less ... not too bright or who are challenged (not quite the exact words she used), and I think a proper reply might violate the spirit of her admonition.

No, I'll just wish the OP fair winds and interesting voyages, even if they are unexpectedly short.

PS to the OP: What color are you laces? Do they match the elephants you see? Were to trying to trade an elephant to get a goat?
Old 30-05-2017, 10:55   #29

Boat: Lots of boats.

Laughed for a while with this one. Pretty much touches on lots of things changing in the world of sailing. Sure, some of these are more a matter of taste, but lots of these are permanent changes in technology and attitude.

I love riding old Triumphs and Nortons, but my Honda VFR performs better on every front from braking and handling to acceleration and dependability. When I joined this forum, not that long ago (I'm a relative newbie), full keel was the advice for anyone looking to buy a boat. Going offshore? You will also need a windvane to handle the long passages. For the most part, that has changed.

Now for monetary reasons (and personal taste) I like mono-hulls. But unless you have 60 feet underneath you or a new flat bottom mono, it WILL be a slow journey. God knows, having a full keel probably makes that doubly true. You need the full keel because you sure aren't going to outrun any weather. But boats and equipment are changing.

Humans "generally" like continuity and balk at change. My kids could NEVER have the childhood I had. Times were simply different. I feel blessed to have been raised in the 50's, 60's and 70's. But those times were FAR from perfect for everyone. Change is not always welcome. But it will always be. Luckily we have the choice to choose what we hold onto and what new things we embrace.

I for one bought a windvane for the challenge of learning how they work. And to save a little on electricity (secondary). I bought a newer style anchor for the safety. I have dragged several times, once catching an underwater electrical cable (it was well marked in the daylight). Catching the cable with my anchor kept me from running aground (pun intended).

Thanks for the post. Its an enlightening one and it also points out to those who think the sailing world is changing, the change has already happened and its not slowing down. What I love about the America's cup in Bermuda is how they plan to mix the new with the old. Best of both worlds for our viewing pleasure. Wish I could go!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 10:57   #30

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Yeah, and what about climate change?
Shoot at it from the bridgedeck of your cat?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, ssb