Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 14:28   #31

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Idiot needs anchoring advice (please)

I found this on the web, sorry do not remember who wrote it but was a good read.
If someone does know who should be credited please advise

Anchor Securely.pdf Views: 185 Size: 171.7 KB ">How-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-To-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-Anchor-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-Securely.pdf
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:33   #32

Don't worry too much about it. Most places in BVI has mooring bouys.

Don't forget to drop in on White Bay on Jost and the Soggy Dollar Bar!
Swede57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:42   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mooring buoys are nearly 20 dollars per night. anchoring is free. difference i a painkiller..LOL--or some 2 nights home cookin..... your choice to make.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:51   #34

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmithers View Post
1) Of course everyone will swing, but you have to assume that you're going to swing in the same way

4) Get a GPS that has an anchor alarm. I've never really used one but yet again I hear they're handy.

5) Be more prepared than anyone else in the anchorage.
Agree on the last one, as for the GPS if you have an iPhone/iPad buy the anchor apps (alert and/or watch) you can drop the anchor in the app when you drop the anchor at the bow and get a real fast alarm (in reality a few false alarms) as you can set the radius as tight as GPS accuracy allows.

Try and choose a spot closer to boats of a similar size and profile so that you can swing at approx the same rate ( hours of fun trying to calculate why you differ).

Be first in, you get to choose and others anchor relative to you.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:53   #35

In the whitsundays, a popular charter area, we often saw boats reversing at 5-6 knots with the anchor chain hanging off the bow at a very shallow angle, the anchor probably nearly waterskiing just under the surface.

When you're letting out the scope, reverse SLOWLY. Just idle in reverse, no more than that - even less is good, alternating between neutral and reverse. Or if there's breeze, let it do the work.

Then, when you stop letting out chain, initially keep idling in reverse for a while to let the anchor dig in. Line up a reference point on shore to see if you are still moving. When you're sure you're stopped, GENTLY ease on a few more revs, up to about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, checking to see you're still holding.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:55   #36

Don't anchor where there are many boats. Try a different area, island, sea, hemisphere...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:59   #37

A lot of charter companies require you anchor well before sunset. Getting to a different hemisphere in time might be difficult. (especially in a monohull)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 15:03   #38

just put up the black lace bra sail extender and fly faster than fast to the next one....LOL
Old 14-06-2011, 15:15   #39

With all the mooring fields in the BVIs, finding a decent spot to anchor is tough.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 15:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
In the whitsundays, a popular charter area, we often saw boats reversing at 5-6 knots with the anchor chain hanging off the bow at a very shallow angle, the anchor probably nearly waterskiing just under the surface.

When you're letting out the scope, reverse SLOWLY. Just idle in reverse, no more than that - even less is good, alternating between neutral and reverse. Or if there's breeze, let it do the work.

Then, when you stop letting out chain, initially keep idling in reverse for a while to let the anchor dig in. Line up a reference point on shore to see if you are still moving. When you're sure you're stopped, GENTLY ease on a few more revs, up to about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, checking to see you're still holding.
Great advise. I also feel the rode / chain forward of the bow roller to check that it is hard when setting the anchor.

Also do not set the anchor when it is on the windlass. Use a snubbing line / bridle.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 15:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
A lot of charter companies require you anchor well before sunset. Getting to a different hemisphere in time might be difficult. (especially in a monohull)
Heh. Yeah. That's why I took a Boeing and a wire transfer to uncrowded SE Asia to buy a fast monohull that will change hemispheres as fast or faster than any cruising cat wishing to start a thread war. But we digress.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 16:03   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeese View Post
I need some real world help/advice in the anchoring department. I'm preparing for my second bareboat charter (first in the BVI). My first anchoring attemps (on first BB charter) were an absolute fiasco. I'm sure there are forum stories about me and my anchoring attempts.

The problem is that I sail at a club where we always come back to a mooring ball. So I never get to anchor. My sailing lessons involved dropping the anchor once.. but that was about it.

To give you some context.. I will be charting a 43'-45' monohaul in the BVI. Here is what I know.
Quote:
1. Pick the right spot (I need some help here). Insure that at lowtide there will be enough depth for the boat's draft.
Before you fly down to collect your charter buy all the maps and guide books that you can afford. Study them carefully, making mental notes of the most desirable places.
When you pick up the boat don't just pick the brains of the briefing person. Totally clean out every nook and cranny. Make careful note of the type of anchor, the length of chain and the length and type of rode. Verify that the rode is actually secured to the boat.
When you get to the the anchorage (under power!) make a note of how the boats already there are sitting and any wind and current.
Do a circle of the anchorage with a crew member holding the chart and keeping watch on the depth sounder.
In a crowded anchorage the ideal is to drop the anchor just behind the stern of the boat immediately in front. In general this means coming alongside them, having a chat to get their opinions on life, the universe and correct anchoring practices for where you are.

Quote:
2. Drop the anchor and start immediatly back up directly downwind.
3. Let out 5:1 to 7:1 scope. So, I'm assuming that is (depth at high tide + 4' above the waterline) * 7. For 12' of high tide depth.. that is (12+4)*7 = 112'.. which seems like a lot.
My preference is to drop the anchor, let out 3x depth of rode, and to have a cup of tea while I see how the boat sits. This is where the local knowledge that you got from your briefing is essential as all places differ.
Quote:
4. Continue backing to "set" the anchor.
5. After you feel the "set", continue with reverse gear and give it some throttle to insure that the anchor holds.
In general I don't like doing this, but then we use a big Manson Supreme and all chain. Again, this is something that you must check at your briefing.

Quote:
My problem is:
1. If I come into a crowded anchorage.. how should I select my spot? I realize that if I end up abeam another anchored boat.. my stern is likely to clip their bow (or vice versa) if the wind shifts 90 deg. So, I'm assuming the best place to drop is directly behind another anchored vessel? What is the best etiquette?
See above

Quote:
2. On my first bareboat charter (Croatia).. the water depth dropped of rapidly from the shore. We felt forced to anchor near the shore due to the depth. The problem was... a wind shift.. even for a little bit.. would put us on the shore. We thought about putting an anchor off the stern.. but the depths would be > 30'. What do you do in this case? Is this an issue in the BVI?
I've found that anchoring under these conditions is very unpleasant. You should be able to get enough information from your charts, guide books and the briefing to avoid them.
If you must go to this sort of spot then try to arrive before 11:30 am, pay for a mooring, have a nice cup of tea and settle back to enjoy the show.

Quote:
3. When retrieving an anchor using an electric windlass... do you start pulling up the rode the second you start to motor forward?
This probably depends on the windage and weight of the boat along with the wind, current and other prevailing conditions.
In general I prefer to use the windlass just enough to get the boat moving forward, then as the chain goes slack I wind it in.
I'd normally only motor forward if there was a strong current or wind pushing the boat back.

Quote:
4. We did such a poor job of anchoring (and were so close to shore) on the first trip that we established an all night anchor watch. Does anyone else do this or do they "set it and sleep"?
Again depends on the conditions. Under 10 knots offshore breeze, good holding and away from other boats I don't worry much.
I do like to make a GPS note of my position when I first anchor and do a chart of readings, first every half hour then every hour. By the time bedtime comes I have normally forgotten about it.
My belief is that anchoring close to close to shore should be avoided if at all possible. This is where all those guide books that you paid a small fortune for should justify their existence.

Quote:
5. How much wind can you expect to handle before you should worry that the anchor will drag (giving average anchoring conditions)?
My general rule of thumb is that if I expect the wind to go over 15 knots where I am then choosing an anchorage that is secure becomes my highest priority.
Again, these would be good conditions to pay for a mooring.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 16:11   #43

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeese View Post
I agree... and I will def be using mooring balls for a few of the nights. The advantage to them in my (amature) opinion is that they allow me to go to shore (or sleep) in peace. Leaving a boat unattended on anchor still seams scary to me!
How do you know what the mooring and chain is like?
You assume it is well maintained and up for the job.

Me, I know my own gear and anchor
And I have had a mooring that parted once and not in much wind either
Old 14-06-2011, 16:14   #44

in a windy anchorage i trust my own tackle more than a mooring--i KNOW it will stay put. i use 45 pound cqr and 150 ft of chain in 20ish ft water ..lol no problems. proven time and again to be goood at staying put. 30 kts was a good stiff breeze for my boat in an anchorage--- no sweat. 41 kts---still stayed put. ensenada, mazatlan.
i watched as moored boats broke loose in my mooring field in sd..at 41-90+kts of wind. no--i would prefer my own tackle to mooring of unknown maintenance status.
Old 14-06-2011, 16:20   #45

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
And before you drop your hook, be sure that the bitter end of your anchor rode is secured to a cleat. You don't want both ends going over the side
Stop pulling his leg! You are supposed to tie the bitter end to yourself, then you will never lose the rode, you will always know where it is...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring