Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 08:36   #31

Re: I need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2damofoj View Post
so that being said, could we safely sail a 24'-26' swing keel boat from south FL. to the southern Bahamas and back? or would this be too small? I think we could manage with the smaller cabin area. not to mention i love the prices vs. 30' boats.
That is a difficult question to answer. A lot of factors can go into it..
boat, weather, captain and that captains skills.. the gulf stream is another factor and _where_ you make the jump from...
Coming from the panhandle you will most likely make that jump from Rodriguez Key to Gun Cay for example... time of yr, weather and so on...
I would ask the question further out when you are close to that jump..
but in general yes is the answer at this point for the boat size, it can be done..would I do it.. possibly depending on the boat..
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 08:41   #32

Quote:
so that being said, could we safely sail a 24'-26' swing keel boat from south FL. to the southern Bahamas and back? or would this be too small? I think we could manage with the smaller cabin area. not to mention i love the prices vs. 30' boats.
this Oday 30 is up for yard fees... It was offered by the owner for $19,000 for the past yr and a half.. then the yard had this up.. last time I Looked a month back they yard wanted $10k now its $6,900...
I have lived aboard one, its comfortable.. good icebox size, lots of storage room and for me, room for scuba tanks. forward stateroom is adequate. I used the quarter berth for storage but a kid could happily use it for its world.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=66791&url=
Old 18-12-2011, 09:08   #33

I've said it before, We had as much fun in our 30 footer as any boat; easy maintenance, easy sail handling etc. It was as dry a boat as any of the big ones too. 32 ft is a great boat and perfect for your venture!

Edit: I see the thread has migrated to a smaller boat yet. It can certainly be done, depending on your comfort factor. But I would opt for something big enough to have an inboard diesel, on the other hand.. 2-3 months can be done in anything that is safe to cross the gulfstream in. You need a boat that can carry plenty of stuff, extra anchor (s) and rode, dingy and outboard. You dont want a a cheap trailersailor that is severely overloaded. You would be safer and more comfortable in an old boat with a encapsulated keel (or centerboard) rather than a bolt on keel. For the Bahamas think shallw draft boat....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:10   #34

very nice info, thank you! so now im faced with choosing a trailerable boat, or would the tom bigbee be an option? i would not mind the extra time it took, and it would allow me to purchase a larger boat.
c2damofoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:24   #35

Quote:
very nice info, thank you! so now im faced with choosing a trailerable boat, or would the tom bigbee be an option? i would not mind the extra time it took, and it would allow me to purchase a larger boat.
Depending on water depth..yes the Bigbee waterway IS an option..or you could pick up a boat down here in Fla and go from here.. the oday I mentioned is on the atlatic side in Indiantown marina storage yard..

Don't limit yourself to just one place boat shopping..lots of stuff all the way west and there you have the GICW to move from NOLA east.. if that is what you have to do... a trailer sailor, in my experience might be good for gunkholing the coast but I sure would not want to try to cross the gulf of mexico or the gulfstream in one.. ymmv 'bella
Old 20-12-2011, 17:26   #36

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

Are you asking if you can take a sailboat up the Tombigbee? I don't know for sure, but I believe so. I think it is part of the "Great Loop" and some sailboats do the loop. You may have to have the mast unstepped in Mobile or somewhere along the coast.

Most sailboat owners who live inland keep the boat at the coast and commute back and forth on the weekends or for a few weeks in the summer. Especially if you want some sailing time. I doubt there is much sailing on the Tombigbee, but I don't really know.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09   #37

Boat: Hans Christian 33T Hull #80

Quote:
i am planning a voyage from the florida panhandle to the carribean, i have a few questions i need answered. first i plan to buy a 28-35 ft monohull sailboat. will this be big enough to accomodate two adults and a child for 2-3 months? also what time of year would be ideal for this trip. i have 3 years to put this plan into action, i have recently purchased a hobie cat to learn the basics of sailing, i plan to purchase the big boat as soon as i find the right one, in my price range, i plan on taking several trips to the gulf to fine tune our sailing skills. heres a list of my goals before we embark.

buy boat and get her sea worthy
hone my sailing skills on local lakes and the gulf of mexico
set my itenerary
stock vessel with provisions and supplies
sail away

give me some advice, tips and pointers, Thanks a million!

As many of said, a small boat will be perfect. We have a 33'. When we were first looking we looked at big boats, but decided on a small seaworthy boat. We lived aboard her for alomst three years with our college daughter and a dog in Florida. When our daughter felt she needed room she would take her book launch the dingy and let out a lot of line, she called it her personal room. We hope you have many adventures finding your new home, making her yours, and enjoying it all.
gigglingdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote