Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 20:27   #31

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: How old is "TOO OLD" to sail?

Most people think I am 20+ years younger than my chronological age. I do not want to break that illusion, so I do what single women in their early 40's do - buy a sailboat. Having a boat knocks years off my thinking age and provides a constant workout along with lots of stretching and balance activities.

When will I be too old? I ask myself that occasionally. My answer keeps coming back as I will be found floating around a few days after I was too old.
Old 06-12-2011, 21:16   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500
I moved aboard yesterday, I turn 64 in June. My knee has been replaced, my back is crap, my hips are shot. But I will do it till I can't. Then I'll sit at the dock.
+1

It sucks contemplating one's own mortality. Sitting here at 50 with 10-15 years of work ahead I start to do the math. 65 start cruising. 75 diapers and mushed up cookies.

Better enjoy the next 15 years as much as possible and the 10 after that as well.

And of course if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself...

Lots of strategies to make the boat easier to handle. A sailboat hull is very efficient as a motorsailer or motor cruiser as well. At some point derig the sails and motor everywhere.

Mobility is a key aspect and there are boats that make this easier as well. 4-5 foot freeboard, climbing over the side can be offset with a boat that has a transom entry. When this becomes too difficult one may get stuck with dock boardings making marinas essential.

When one cannot make their way around the boat, it is tougher. A cat is more stable and may offer easier ingress and egress to the salon, and berths than compnaionway stairs of a mono.

In regards to being unsafe to crew and self, don't worry. Being unsafe to crew and others is not limited to Octegenarians. One can be unsafe at any age.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 23:56   #33

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I'm really close to 62 and look foward to my Social Security helping pay my moorage . I already had to move to a catamaran because of my arthertic neck could not handle the rocking motion at anchorage on our MacGregor 26M. My wife and I have been sailing sence the 60's and try to go out 2 or 3 days a week all year round if the wind is blowing, that's how we get our exersize and afterwards a hot sauna and hot tub comes in handy in the winter months. I hope to not be stuck in a room at the end of my sailing career but rather have the wind in my hair with full sails.

I was reading somewhere there was a package deal in BVI I think where you can rent a cottage and daysailor for $150.00 a day. Dingy sailing is a great way to learn to sail.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47   #34

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

This thread is brilliant. A total inspiritation.
In fact I want to go cruising as soon as I'm old enough.....
But I'm only 64

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02   #35

Boat: L 34

Yeah, - I'm too young too. Just sailed the Atlantic single handed non-stop 91 days Connecticut to Durban. But that's cause I'm only 63. Can't wait till I grow up to do some real sailing. Just do it. Experience comes with experience, all you need is reasonable agility.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45   #36

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Yeah, - I'm too young too. Just sailed the Atlantic single handed non-stop 91 days Connecticut to Durban. But that's cause I'm only 63. Can't wait till I grow up to do some real sailing. Just do it. Experience comes with experience, all you need is reasonable agility.
That's brilliant
Durban is my old home town. Point Yacht Club was my old club.
What boat were you sailing?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:39   #37

Boat: L 34

Bought an O'Day 40 in Stonington Connecticut. Great boat. Went SE to the African side, NE trades to the equator, down the coast of Brazil , 38-40S to 30E then up to Durban. Also a member of PYC.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:08   #38

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Better do it now, it will be much harder once your too disabled to get out of a wheelchair.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27   #39

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Talking Re: How old is "TOO OLD" to sail?

Yer only old if the gleam in yer eye is merely the sun reflecting off yer bifocals! I'm sixty nine and look forward to sailing my two boats for many more years.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48   #40

Boat: in between boats

When my dock neighbor took his boat to Ensenada for some major work to be done, the marina sublet his slip for the month he was gone. My new temporary tennant was 80 years old. He and his friend came into the marina to do some major refitting. First time in a marina in three years I was told. For a month, I watched this guy come and go numerous times a day carrying a load off and returning with a load, often carrying a heavier load than I would have at half his age. He was spry, climbing the dock stairs on to his boat with both arms full of a heavy load or pushing an overloaded dock cart. High tide or low tide, the steepness of the dock ramp made no difference in his gait. They rebuilt the engine, plumbing, updated electronics, replaced and upgraded windlass, rerigged both running and standing riggin in the slip one strand at a time, and freshened all the bright work. In less than thirty days, their 40+ foot Garden design cutter was made ready for another open ended cruise. He worked mostly everyday on his boat from before sunrise until after sunset, it was winter. All the time not missing sundowners with new friends some where in the Marina most every night, sometimes long after sundown. More than once we drank more wine than we intended, getting to bed well after midnight, my wake up call always being him already working on his boat as the darkness faded to dawn. After a haul and bottom paint, this boat left San Diego, no plans besides to head south, on an open ended adventure, on the owners 81st birthday. His crew was a a good friend, a young 68, and the owners new girlfriend that was half his age with a physique any woman would be proud of. The owners, energy, sharp mind and wit were an inspiration to all of us 'dreamers'. This was about 10 years ago, I wonder...
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:26   #41

Boat: 15' Mohawk Canoe
Re: How Old Is 'Too Old' to Sail ?

Thanks for all of the input! I've been reading more about my new found idea, and have a question based on the topic:

-Is climbing the mast a difficult chore, or is it simple (and possible for a 70 yr. old) to accomplish with the bosun's chair or other inexpensive means?

-How often would one have to climb the mast?

Thanks!!
semperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:39   #42

If you have an extra $600.00 in your pocket, ...never. Just take it to a marina and have them step it with a crane. Too cheap to pay a crane, you still have tow options. 1. Climb on up, 2. Anchor upstream from a bridge the same height as you mast, and slowly let out line until 2-3 ft from bridge. Tie stabilising lines to bridge pilings. Then dinghy ashore and walk down road until you reach bridge. Final step; set comfortably on railing while working on mast top.

There was a poster on this board that claimed to use this technique all the time. I've never tried it myself, a few prerequisites that come to mind. Pick a bridge the right height, Pick a bridge with little traffic, Pick a bridge with little water traffic, Pick a bridge that the water flowing underneath is relativly calm and not affected by tides, or wakes, etc... Insure there are no local laws about pedestrians on bridge.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:41   #43

Oh I forgot one. Add to things to do while aground waiting for the tide to come back in. When you're boat is on it's side, the top of the mast should be within convenient step ladder height.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperdog
Thanks for all of the input! I've been reading more about my new found idea, and have a question based on the topic:

-Is climbing the mast a difficult chore, or is it simple (and possible for a 70 yr. old) to accomplish with the bosun's chair or other inexpensive means?

-How often would one have to climb the mast?

Thanks!!
- in 4 years we needed to go to the mast twice - the lightest person who can do the job is sent.

- in a Bosuns chair it's easy. Generally someone winches you up and you are a passenger

- there are climbing techniques that can make it as simple as climbing a 50 foot ladder. Mast steps can be installed so ts like climbing an old fashioned telephone pole. In that regard it depends on the 70 y/o in question

The only reason I can see to make an "emergency" ascent at sea is a lost main or genny halyard. Everything else up there could wait until,port. The genny can be hauled on the spin halyard and a spare main halyard could be run during fit out as a contingency.

Realistically at some point you will have to pay someone to do the jobs you can no longer do.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:00   #45

Boat: Seafarer 26
Anyone climbing over a bridge rail around here will have police called for a suicide attempt. I have never gone up the mast and have no interest in ever going up a mast. Shell point marina charges 100.00 to pull a mast. You can always find a young-in to go up there for you or crank you up there. I have always found boaters to be a helpful lot and will help you at any time.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail