Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2006, 20:06   #31
Kai Nui

The idea sounds good on paper. I thought of it as well, but I had it explained to me in great detail. I do not doubt that what Wheels said is true, but I would question the safety of such a setup since OSHA won't allow it for industrial use. Of course, I also have to admit my sources are limited. Pressure regulation is easy, but filtering out oil is another matter.
Old 25-02-2006, 20:09   #32

Boat: 44 footer
Exactly...

For my purposes the line would 30 feet. On the sides of the deck house beside the water spicots some quick disconnets at about the same height. Climb back on board and move the hose. I figure this gives the option of quitting with the bottom half scrubbed.

The boat drafts 5.5 feet, 79 of water line, beams... I cant see dragging a hose long enough to do the whole thing while only getting the feet wet once.

You could do it with a snorkel, but those of us who are prone to tinker... theres got to be a more complex, and expensive way of doing things.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 20:30   #33

Send a message via AIM to MaineCub Send a message via Yahoo to MaineCub
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but surprisingly enough, I had a Sailing World Magazine sitting on my desk, infront of my computer and an ad for Hookas was here.

Of course I cannot vouge for them, just want to relay the link along.

The Air Line

Best,

--Dave
MaineCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 20:41   #34

I don't disagree Kai Nai! I'm just one of those stubborn types that doesnt take "It can't be done" as an answer with the mechanical, no offense intended.

Here is OSHA's Section on respiratory protection:
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...able=STANDARDS

The industry standard for compressor manufacturers is: Grade D Breathable Compressed Air (Fulfills OSHA # 1910.134(i)(1)(ii) )

If you go to the Osha link above and click ctrl and F you will get a "Find" box. Enter in the OSHA code, and click search. It should display the heading... with all that OSHA requires.

Ingersoll Rand makes a piston type (reciprocating is the name the advertisers like... I'm simple minded, piston works! It isnt a roots blower, it isnt a reed valve, its a PISTON!) compressor head that is oil free, which mated up to their duplex

Garnder Denver makes a unit called the PureAir™ II - 3/4-5 HP that is targeted for hospital use. Looks mighty expensive, touting it as being revolutionary.

As you might have noticed, the thought process has changed. The old, parable of walking by a river and having to save somebody floating down... by the 20th you get to walk up river and see how they're getting in. Go to the source of the oil, get rid of it. Any other oil present in compressed air, would be present in another unfiltered hooka!

----

Do any of you dive types know how many parts per million of oil can be present in the air?

Thanks...
Old 25-02-2006, 21:29   #35
Kai Nui

I haven't read all of it, but I am sure it is in there somewhere.
You are correct about compresors with oil-less heads producing breathable air, but a dive hooka is cheaper than these high grade industrial units, so there is no real benefit. Assuming I am understanding your logic correctly.
Even the SCBA we had in our shop was cheaper than the hospital units.
Old 26-02-2006, 00:46   #36

Been There, Done That

My buddy assembled a hookah system that used an oil-less compressor. We both have used it to clean his hull. I was under the surface over 2 hours, scraping, scraping. And I'm still here to talk about it.

This guy is fastidious about details and safety: he's the one who always wants to surface when we're on tank dives and we both still have 1200psi and are @ 30ft. down and 50yds out from our dive boat. He had all the correct filters, et cetera. Had everything permanently bolted to a dolly, so it rolled in and out of storage. Of course, it was driven by an AC motor and stayed on the dock finger while it ran; not made to take underway.

I don't know how much he spent, but he would not have assembled his own system if an OT shelf unit were available, and I'm sure he was aware of their existence.
Old 26-02-2006, 08:02   #37

Currently its just an idea being pondered.

I like cup guns, impact wrenches, and all sorts of other impliments of destruction that go with air compressors... That sure sways my thought process.

The hooka's that I've seen commercially available have a tank that is charged up before you dive. Betting a dollar to a donut that the duty cycle isnt up to the demands of air tools.
Old 26-02-2006, 14:59   #38

Boat: Seafarer, Swfitsure, 30 - Irish Rover
2diver's brings up very important points regarding DCS while using a hookah system.

One must also remember other rules of Scuba such as not holding your breath, especially when ascending. This can lead to a very dangerous lung expansion injury.
Also one must always ascend at a safe rate (30 feet per minute is a safe one). Ascending too fast will also highly increase your chances of DCS.

Honestly I'm not a fan of something like that which doesnt require training to purchase and use.

-Sean
PADI OWSI 187362
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 17:45   #39
Kai Nui

Quite honestly, I can not remember the last time I was asked for my C card when purchasing gear or even filling a tank. So what is required in theory is not necessarily required in practice.
Old 26-02-2006, 19:54   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
But these Hooka's and Seabreath systems aren't designed for deep diveign are they?? They are just 16ft of hose aren't they?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 20:15   #41
Kai Nui

I have a 50' hose on mine. I did not get any literature with it, so I am not sure what the manufacturer says.
Old 27-02-2006, 06:09   #42
xort

let's revisit the topic starter...

Looking for feedback on dive hookahs. I would use it for bottom maintenance and shallow water diving. No deeper than 35'. I don't want to haul tanks around. What are your real world experiences? Actual experiences please.

ACTUAL EXPERIENCES PLEASE!!!
Old 27-02-2006, 10:18   #43

My apologies Xort, took us a bit off the topic at hand, I did!

I'm bowing out...
Old 02-03-2006, 15:23   #44

Boat: Homebuilt
Hookahs

Commercial Geoduck divers on the BC coast have used cast iron compressors for hookah diving for decades ,down to 200 ft. theyused to use mineral oil , which won't kil you but will make you **** for a week if it got past your filtre. They made filtres out of 2 inch sch 40 pipe filed with alternating layers of felt insole material and activated charcoal. This kept them shitless while diving, as long as it was changed frequenty.Recently the food equipment industry have come up with a totally non toxic compressor oil which works well. It is all workers ompensation board approved in Canada.
Friends who have bought the commonly advertised, oiless compressors, commonly sold to cruisers ,said they haven't touched their tanks since. With the high price of hydros, visuals, fills and the advantages of ot having that big hunk of metal on your back I can see why. I plan to buy one in the next couple of days.They cost pennies an hour and you don't have to worry about where to get your next fill.
Old 02-03-2006, 17:27   #45
xort

Tell me more

James, you posted...
Friends who have bought the commonly advertised, oiless compressors, commonly sold to cruisers ,said they haven't touched their tanks since. With the high price of hydros, visuals, fills and the advantages of ot having that big hunk of metal on your back I can see why. I plan to buy one in the next couple of days.They cost pennies an hour and you don't have to worry about where to get your next fill.

This is exactly what I'm interested in. Any further details you can supply would be greatly appreciated. What brands, which models, any add-ons, etc. would be helpful in sorting out the details.
Thanks