Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 18:03   #76

Boat: Shopping...
Re: Have I Bumped my Head?

We are looking at a charters but the thing we are wanting to get away from is working around a schedule. Part of the adventure is the ability to change plans mid stream. If we find a place we really like, we want the ability to stay as long as we like. I don't know a lot about the charter business but I would imagine they are obligated to some type of set schedule.

The other issue is the cost of a charter. From my limited research the rates are from $300 & up per person, per day. That makes a seven day cruise worth $4200 for two people and I'm sure that rate is too low when you consider food, drinks and extras. Ten week in the Bahamas and I could have purchased my own boat. Granted, with the charter I avoid all maintenance and slip fees which I still need to investigate.

Still a lot to work out and consider. The great advice I have received from this forum is sure to make our decision a lot easier.

Thank you for your input, we appreciate it.
Smoov1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 18:44   #77

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A lot of people go into this thinking sails but end up changing to a trawler or house boat.

If it is the call of sailing that you want to follow a Hobie Cat can be had for less than the cruise you priced. Load it with camping gear and supplies, explore the 10,000 Isles area down toward the keys and sell the cat when you are through.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:46   #78

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoov1000 View Post
From my limited research the rates are from $300 & up per person, per day. That makes a seven day cruise worth $4200 for two people and I'm sure that rate is too low when you consider food, drinks and extras. .
I think your pricing is off. Charters (bareboat) don't charge per person. We charter a 36' in St Petersburg for $300/day. It could be 1 person or 8 people, and it is still $300. I know others, especially in exotic locations are more, but it's by the boat not the number of people. Actually, it is quite a value when you cruise with another couple compared to most all other vacations.
However, if you are doing captain/chef, then it they may charge per person.
Best of luck and keep asking good questions! It helps all of us!
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:01   #79

Boat: Jenneau 36i

This is the second time I've bumped my head... Haven't sailed or owned a boat since the 90's. I'm 64 and just bought another boat in the BVI's. I say go for it .... You won't regret it. "Take the path less traveled".
Gon2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:24   #80

Boat: 26ft -> 38ft

I'm planning something similar, first thing I suggest to take a class for a week (is like a expensive charter) to know if you really like it, after that you decide.

My case is different, I sailing since age 15 in laser, really like it, today at 50's I realize I'm want to go further, so, I bought a old 26' "to see if I really want", now I'm thinking bigger and far...

In the other hand I know a girl (40 or something) librarian who meet a guy and after thinking a lot decide to buy a boat and sail, today they has been 6 years on the sea.

And off course: "I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done"
Peterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:48   #81

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

There is no doubt anyone can pursue their dreams.

However, those who require validation from friends and family before doing so will likely spend their time second-guessing themselves instead of following their bliss.

Pursue your dreams passionately, appreciating those who encourage and support your path despite their lack of understanding. Politely listen to, and then ignore, the rest...

In the end, remember others are responding to your choices from their perception of what they can do- not what you can do...

-Bill
SV Denali Rose
Old 08-05-2015, 17:57   #82

Boat: Shopping...

New to this thing, so my facts might be a bit off but I'm sure the details will be clearly defined before my feet ever touch the deck of a boat.

The response has been great & we appreciate all the info... really reduces the chance for mistakes..... thank you
Smoov1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 16:22   #83

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

One more bit, teak decks look great but are known to leak.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 09-05-2015, 20:30   #84
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"teak decks look great but are known to leak."
To be sure, but that's not really the teak that is leaking, and the deck usually isn't really teak, but teak strips screwed into a fiberglass deck, creating thousands of holes in the actual FRP deck which eventually allow the leaks.
There are supposed to be some "teak" decks that have been installed with adhesive instead of screws, making that kind of leakage impossible.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head