Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2019, 08:03   #31

Re: Grenadines: Places You Didn't Like and Why

Any recent opinions on Mustique? I've read mixed reviews, like this one....

"One thing to consider about Mustique is that they are tightening the screws on cruisers and what you can do on island. You can pay to take a taxi ride but you can't hang out at the nice beaches. We skipped it this trip and didn't miss it at all."

It's on the itinerary and some people love it.

Thanks.
Old 22-09-2019, 03:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Thanks Johnny...Have you been to Chatham Bay?....supposed to be really nice..
Chatham bay was my favorite spot from Grenada to Bequia, large anchorage, not crowded, good holding, snorkeling and good food.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 06:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarr View Post
Chatham bay was my favorite spot from Grenada to Bequia, large anchorage, not crowded, good holding, snorkeling and good food.

Thanks jcarr.
Old 27-09-2019, 07:06   #34

Assuming you will check out of the Grenadian part of the Grenadines at Union Island before heading for Tobago Keys and Bequia, agree that the anchorage at Clifton is exposed to prevailing winds and usually crowded. To avoid the inevitable stress, last time, I anchored at very sheltered Chatham Bay on the west side of Union. Great spot and a cab is available to drive you over to Clifton for customs. It is an excellent way to combine that with a bit of shopping and an island tour. We arrived at Chatham Bay from St Georges, Grenada late PM and did the formalities in the morning and were at Tobago Keys by mid afternoon. Nice beach restaurant at Chatham Bay and you can arrange the cab for next day. Not the fastest pit stop but relaxed!
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
Assuming you will check out of the Grenadian part of the Grenadines at Union Island before heading for Tobago Keys and Bequia, agree that the anchorage at Clifton is exposed to prevailing winds and usually crowded. To avoid the inevitable stress, last time, I anchored at very sheltered Chatham Bay on the west side of Union. Great spot and a cab is available to drive you over to Clifton for customs. It is an excellent way to combine that with a bit of shopping and an island tour. We arrived at Chatham Bay from St Georges, Grenada late PM and did the formalities in the morning and were at Tobago Keys by mid afternoon. Nice beach restaurant at Chatham Bay and you can arrange the cab for next day. Not the fastest pit stop but relaxed!
That's a great idea. Thanks!
Old 27-09-2019, 07:50   #36

We cruised for 10 days from St Vincent one way to St George, Grenada, this past March. Agree with Dale on his cruising comments. Chatham Bay and Dragon Bay were our favorite spots. Bequia too. From Chatham Bay you can take a short hike up to the top of the mountain and get a spectacular view. Tyrell Bay and Clifton were disappointing. Our biggest problem was with our chartered boat from Horizon - an older 50 ft Beneteau it should never have been put in charter there were so many broken things. Keep your boat locked when away and lock up your dinghy at night. Good Luck!
captain_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:54   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Zero problems getting rid of your trash that I've experienced.
Hey Dale....

Been reading Chris Doyle's book on the Windwards and he has a lot to say about trash disposal. He says the Grenandines in particular don't have the facilities to handle cruiser's trash. He says DON'T give your trash to a "vendor" who will not dispose of it properly.

He said some will just take it to the beach, pick thru it and leave it there.

BTW, we're heading to St Lucia on Tuesday. I assume you've already departed the fix?
Old 27-09-2019, 07:56   #38

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

I agree with the recommendation to stay away from St. Vincent. Look at the reviews in Active Captain. It has been years since we were there, but I left reviews for most of the places we visited going south in early 2014 then north in late 2014 - early 2015. We loved Bequia.
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:02   #39

Boat: Beneteau first 26

It's better to find out for yourself since everyone is different and looking for different kind of pleasures but since you asked .
Crowded , rude , expensive and spoiled that applies to the Grenadines .
Crossed an ocean only to find out that Caribbean is one of the worst places to cruise, it ours more stress that it suppose to .
West Africa had less crime and more friendly people
Asia the same
Europe doesn't even compare
Caribbean the least favourite except some.exceotions .
Grenadines in the Caribbean you can't even swim without a boat boy motoring at full speed over you .

Go visit and let us know your experience .
Old 27-09-2019, 08:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dave View Post
We cruised for 10 days from St Vincent one way to St George, Grenada, this past March. Agree with Dale on his cruising comments. Chatham Bay and Dragon Bay were our favorite spots. Bequia too. From Chatham Bay you can take a short hike up to the top of the mountain and get a spectacular view. Tyrell Bay and Clifton were disappointing. Our biggest problem was with our chartered boat from Horizon - an older 50 ft Beneteau it should never have been put in charter there were so many broken things. Keep your boat locked when away and lock up your dinghy at night. Good Luck!
A one way is what we wanted to do originally. However just being 2 of us we decided the extra $1500 fee was just a bit too steep.

We're starting in St Lucia next week and sailing as far south as we feel comfortable. Our second day will pretty much be an all day sail from Marigot to Bequia. Will see where we go after that.

Yea, been there done that with a POS charter boat. Not fun. We've had really good luck the last few years chartering newer cats.
Old 27-09-2019, 08:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
It's better to find out for yourself since everyone is different and looking for different kind of pleasures but since you asked .
Crowded , rude , expensive and spoiled that applies to the Grenadines .
Crossed an ocean only to find out that Caribbean is one of the worst places to cruise, it ours more stress that it suppose to .
West Africa had less crime and more friendly people
Asia the same
Europe doesn't even compare
Caribbean the least favourite except some.exceotions .
Grenadines in the Caribbean you can't even swim without a boat boy motoring at full speed over you .

Go visit and let us know your experience .
I did ask and I appreciate your response.

I will be more than happy to share our experiences when we get back.
Old 27-09-2019, 08:35   #42

We spent 2 years is that area. Tyrell Bay is great. Bequai is great. I wouldn't go to St. Vincent even if I was carrying an AK47.....same for MOST of St. Lucia, except Rodney Bay. Union is OK.
jcorsican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorsican View Post
We spent 2 years is that area. Tyrell Bay is great. Bequai is great. I wouldn't go to St. Vincent even if I was carrying an AK47.....same for MOST of St. Lucia, except Rodney Bay. Union is OK.
Haha....no mincing of words there!!

We may have to stop somewhere on St Vincent on our way back to St Lucia.

Blue Lagoon maybe. Based on what most EVERYBODY says, we're not too keen on spending the night at one of the more remote locations in St Vincent....but I WOULD feel a lot better if I had an AK-47.
Old 27-09-2019, 10:48   #44

Boat: Hinckley, Sou'wester 42, 42 feet

We visited Salt Whistle last winter and found it very crowded.
Godshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 11:52   #45

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Good suggestions here but do yourself a very inexpensive favor and order this Chris Doyle pilot/guide book. It is the best thing to have in hand for cruisers over there. You can see his other guides at the list...
The Cruising Guide to the Southern Leeward Islands https://www.amazon.com/dp/0997854049..._OLLJDbK47P24Q

Enjoy!