Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 22:08   #16

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: eTools for yacht documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Databases are so simple today that I'm sure you can figure something out. I recall having an employee dedicated for three years creating a Revelations program for tracking in a metal fabricating firm. You can get as fancy as you want.

I use linked Excel spreadsheets. I also have a color coated image of my boat which is linked to photos of ongoing projects, parts of boat, engine etc.. Even shows where I have extra tools stashed for convenient maintenance. 10mm for bleeding for instance.

I also have a ledger where I record everything I do. When at sea; departure times, winds and so forth. That is probably enough. You can scan it and convert to text for search capability.
Cool! Like SailSonoma wrote before, the actual (manual) recording of the data is key and Excel/Google Sheets might be the way to start this exercise.

In addition, on the automatic/IoT side, I've been thinking of finding some small device that would plug into the NMEA network and just basically record everything. Kind of the "big data" part of it
Old 01-09-2018, 22:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We were fortunate that the PO documented well and kept the manufacturer’s drawings as well. All vendor documentation is in three ring binders and takes up about a meter of shelf space. Drawings folded ‘D’ size sheets is nearly 70 sheets including electrical, piping, mechanical and vessel construction, layup and lofting. 1984 Camper and Nicholson 58 Ketch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Paper, while it can get lost, soggy, or burn, doesn't just "get corrupt" or need new batteries. Ain't obsolete yet.
Good points these.

My rephrasing: critical documentation should always be available without electricity and turning the previous history digital (large size drawings etc) isn't always that easy.

(Possible futures:

Apple Siri: "Show me the drawings, please, and I will help you locate the trouble you are having with your wind instrument.")
Old 02-09-2018, 02:00   #18

Here's a tool for "recording everything" from the NMEA network:

Voyage recorder for cruising, racing and charter boats
Old 02-09-2018, 02:55   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

You do not need a scanner at all. Especially with the limited space on a boat

1. Most bits of kit have a downloadable manual. Invariably in PDF format
2. If not, the download Microsoft OfficeLens to your smartphone. Brilliant app. Trims. Straightens. Choice of file type to download. Including to PDF. Look for the file in Documents /OfficeLens and move it where you want.

Tips

a. You can save multiple pages. Click the plus button before saving
b. Name the file before saving so you can find it more easily with search
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:50   #20

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

You can have 360 degree images taken in your cabin and have them colored in if you want.
Alternatively just use the developed 2D Version of such an image and annotate the objects as you please. You can than even link those comments to PDF or other documents on your drive or the web.

Still you will not see all the hidden equipment in this case.

Just get as simple or complicated as you want.

I work a lot with 3D and 360 stuff, but for me the subject of keeping track of things is a matter of a folder with all equipment docs and perhaps some additional notes and or photos therein.

On a superyacht it would be a different thing as all systems are much more complex.
3D documentation is surely helpful there, but budgets are a lot higher and it depends on the willingness of yards and suppliers to share that information.
In yachts you will rarely find the full level of documentation that you find for example on a car.
Background is that the development and documentation cost has to be spread over far fewer (usually at most several 100) yachts when compared to a car (usually in the millions).

So an expensive car might cost the same as a yacht but can be far more refined in the detail as the development budgets are very much bigger.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:09   #21

Alita49DS,

I have to try that OfficeLense! I use another app for scanning currently, but I'm not completely satisfied with it.

Franziska,

Cool. I checked out your work web and it looked great! Instead of photo 3D I'm actually thinking of 3D models like this one: https://3dexport.com/3dmodel-hanse-675-yacht-167791.htm.

But well, the visualization/3D aspect might not be the most important. It's intriguing, though.

Quote:
In yachts you will rarely find the full level of documentation that you find for example on a car.

Background is that the development and documentation cost has to be spread over far fewer (usually at most several 100) yachts when compared to a car (usually in the millions).

So an expensive car might cost the same as a yacht but can be far more refined in the detail as the development budgets are very much bigger.
Good point, there.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:20   #22

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

@Mg

Thanks for the flowers.

One more comment regarding 3D models. Most yachts are designed today with 3D software such as Rhinoceros or Solidworks.
The 3D model exists, but very few builders or designers would make them actually publically available.

Two reasons, one is copyright and competition.
The other is the risk of getting sued if model and reality are not 100% on a par. Actually they rarely are. In all yards there are humans which will change adopt and improve long after the initial development is done. A lot of these changes will not find their way into documentation.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:37   #23

Boat: Currently in between

What would really be useful for long term maintenance would be photos of your yacht during the build process. Imagine interior hull shots showing where the plumbing runs, all connections, etc. and same with the electrical, all runs, connections, fuses, etc.. All taken, of course before the interior liner was installed.

THAT would be quite useful when running down an issue. Of course we all know the builder wouldn't allow it. If it was allowed and every buyer adopted the process there would be novices crawling all over the boats being built. It would take twice as long to get your boat finished!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

You wrote "What would really be useful for long term maintenance would be photos of your yacht during the build process. "

Actually, I know from direct experience that Jeanneau do exactly that. I was sent such photos when I needed to put right the mess that a cowboy firm in La Linea called MH Yacht Preserve, should be Destruct, made of my stern tube. There is nothing defamatory about that statement. It is the simple truth and I have the evidence.

Jeanneau also provide excellent electrical diagrams. Including the location of the wiring conduits at each level.

Where the whole thing, IMHO, falls down is when the builder hands over the boat to the firm fitting out. They made no note at all of runs for instruments etc. I discussed this with one such firm and was unimpressed by the excuses. These days even if a wiring diagram is not created it is a matter of moments to take photographs at each stage and pass those on.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:59   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The future of all this lies in the application of predictive analytics to the yachting industry."
That was part of the early promise for OnStar in cars. The system actually dialed in and did diagnostics and sent oil change reminders and such. These days it is called "telematics" and many cars (including the three pricey German makes) expect you to buy the communications package and service. There's still a lot of caution and hot buttons around the "we're monitoring you" issue.

For many boats, the expense of installing and running telematics would make about as much sense as putting it on a tricycle. On a 150' crewed motoryacht, different story.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Cool! Like SailSonoma wrote before, the actual (manual) recording of the data is key and Excel/Google Sheets might be the way to start this exercise.

In addition, on the automatic/IoT side, I've been thinking of finding some small device that would plug into the NMEA network and just basically record everything. Kind of the "big data" part of it
That exists
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:52   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Google Sheets...
Just bear in mind, even though GarGoyle went on record to say their business email accounts were not being read (in contrast to the personal accounts, where everything IS read and used to generate personal demographics and profile information) that basically, GarGoyle stays in business by datamining everything it can. And that will include every Google app that has any online connection. Sometimes, even when they've said they're not doing it.
At least with Excel and similar products, you know the sheet is staying on your computer.
I wouldn't be surprised if Google started sending you ads for Rotella when it was time for an oil change.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 18:21   #28

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Actually, I know from direct experience that Jeanneau do exactly that.
Excellent! That is really great to hear.

Aftermarket vendors can muck things up, no doubt about that!
Old 02-09-2018, 20:06   #29

Boat: Southern Cross (Sonata 7) 23ft (7mtrs)
Thumbs up Re: eTools for yacht documentation?

How funny. I bought an old boat last year too and apart from the registration papers there is nothing. so I've been building up documentation and storing it in dropbox too! Everything from spec's to manuals for equipment I've been buying and I'm also keeping a nice ready reckonor (hard copy) folder of all this on the boat for the exact same reason you said which is to build a kind of owners manual up again for the next person. I think it must have some value to any prospective buyer to see all that including a maintenance log. It shows the owner cares for the boat in my view too.
Learning Curve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men, yacht