Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 19:48   #91

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef
Re: Dumping empty fuel barrels in the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
They holed the cans and the ocean was 400 meters deep.

I would not do this but who am I.

b.
Barnakiel the depth was 16000 feet more like 5000 meters not 400 .Had to correct that in case it started another argument that they dumped in too shallow water .
Old 22-08-2015, 19:59   #92

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Thanks for posting and welcome to CF. Bit of an odd welcome I know.

With the Context I probably would have made the same decision. But what really surprises me is that without ANY context, a number on here would just dump anything over board. As someone else said, no wonder so many beaches are strewn with trash if the attitude is 'I won't make any differences to the bigger picture'.
HI I must ask;Did you empty both drums and throw them overboard or just one ?
Old 22-08-2015, 20:10   #93
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I could not see the video.

Does it show the cleaning and drilling of holes in the tanks prior to dumping them?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:16   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I could not see the video.

Does it show the cleaning and drilling of holes in the tanks prior to dumping them?
The video has been removed from YouTube. I looked for that originally, and I've expanded the pictures that are here, and one can tell when we are the other from those pictures nor could one really tell from the video either.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-08-2015, 20:21   #95
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why was the video posted online anyway?

What is it to show?

What was the purpose of documenting with video the process of throwing the drums overboard?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:21   #96

I have no clue how it could have been taken out of context. the video went from dolphins swimming next to the boat then these two taking out the trash then hey back to dolphins! From the video you could no longer see either one. so they must have chucked that one to.

Who knows what the truth is on their blog they said they state. “The drums were later used as depth charges against the ever-present German U-boats."” They say nothing about the weather or a storm they had to endure.

Who knows his version of events might be exactly what happened. But I think story time here is nothing but damage control.

edit:
They have since removed the video and the blog post. The video was 5 min or so 99% of it was a bunch of good looking people on a passage, fishing whatever. Rather pleasant video actually them chucking the drum was 5 seconds out of the entire video. I had to back it up when I first seen it. One of those did I just see that?
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:23   #97

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Where was the boat being delivered to? If it was like most of the world, then the barrels ended up right where they would have anyhow.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:30   #98

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
HI I must ask;Did you empty both drums and throw them overboard or just one ?
What are you asking I had nothing to do with it
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 22:07   #99
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Interesting thread .

Any one know where the entire contents of the drums went to.

In the past year I have dumped maybe 2000 litres (say 500 US gallons) into the enviroment but I used to dump way more. OK, only 20 or 30 litres were dumped into the marine enviroment but I suspect many of the posters here are dumping ten times that amount every year.

Please keep some perspective of just how much you pollute even just sitting behind the keypad. Now drive to the marina and start your engine. Every drop of the fuel you used has been dumped back into the enviroment.

Or is visual pollution the only bad guy.

Give me a break and check in the mirror before casting the first stone.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 22:49   #100
cruiser

Quote:
I don't deny being 'naive' Kenomac. I'm a little surprised at my own naivety to be honest. I honestly thought sailors would largely care about the environment. I assumed, sailors would be like most bush walkers I've ever known and would look after their environment.

And NO, no where at least in my state and I doubt in many Australian places, if any, does our trash get 'burned, or dumped' into the ocean. Ours are buried, yes, in locations that meet environmental ground secure conditions. Medical waste is burned, but in specially built furnaces with limited emissions.
Reality can be much different from fantasy and perception. Where I live six months of the year in Massachusetts, most everyone would consider themselves as environmental activists as they watch the two separate rubbish trucks pick up their carefully sorted trash... recyclable and non sorted. The masses truly believe it goes off to a magical place to be sorted, reused etc. They believe their trash is better than other people's trash... It lives on after being recycled.

In reality.... It all gets dumped into large incinerator facilities in order to produce electricity. Anyone and everyone can plainly see the incinerators from the highways with the huge smoke stacks and adjoining landfills.... and yet those who believe in the trash fairy.... continue to believe.

There are no nuclear, coal fired or gas fired power plants in the area, the government has shut all of them down via regulations.... So where do the believers think their electricity comes from? Oh yes... Most who believe, think it comes from out of the wall in their house.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 02:56   #101

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

There are no nuclear, coal fired or gas fired power plants in the area, the government has shut all of them down via regulations.... So where do the believers think their electricity comes from? Oh yes... Most who believe, think it comes from out of the wall in their house.
mine comes out of the wall in my house I plug this little three prong thing in and push a switch and wham, Tis on.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 03:02   #102
cruiser

Quote:
mine comes out of the wall in my house I plug this little three prong thing in and push a switch and wham, Tis on.
Touché. Fair winds my friend.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 03:03   #103

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Crazy.... .. must be smokin hydro
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 05:56   #104
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post
I have no clue how it could have been taken out of context. the video went from dolphins swimming next to the boat then these two taking out the trash then hey back to dolphins! From the video you could no longer see either one. so they must have chucked that one to.

Who knows what the truth is on their blog they said they state. “The drums were later used as depth charges against the ever-present German U-boats."” They say nothing about the weather or a storm they had to endure.

Who knows his version of events might be exactly what happened. But I think story time here is nothing but damage control.

edit:
They have since removed the video and the blog post. The video was 5 min or so 99% of it was a bunch of good looking people on a passage, fishing whatever. Rather pleasant video actually them chucking the drum was 5 seconds out of the entire video. I had to back it up when I first seen it. One of those did I just see that?
Too bad it included no footage whatsoever of the forecast 30-40 knots and 20-30 foot seas, would have been cool to see a Swan 82 being sailed in those conditions...

Too great a risk of subjecting that Go-Pro to any moisture, probably...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 06:35   #105

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Do you still have it somewhere? Wanted to show it to the SO
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illegal dumping, S/Y Cowabunga, S/Y Onghiara, shame