Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 17:59   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Good afternoon,

"A goal is a dream with a deadline."

Once you have set the deadline, quietly tell a few close friends and your wife about it. Now you are committed.
Then you have to focus on that deadline. The passion to achieve then becomes the driver.

Take building a boat and to take it on a long passage as an example.

You start the building. While your friends are sitting on their backsides, you're building. While you're building, and sanding and sweating, you picture yourself sailing into that far-away lagoon. You stay focused and committed.
Then you launch your boat! You can show a boat for your efforts.
And those TV watching mates, what can they show? Nothing! They come to your launching party and feel just a little bit let's say "ordinary".

Then you commit to casting off. You stand out to sea, you get a bit seasick and you suffer a few bruisings at the hands of nature.
And those TV watching guys are still just watching TV. And sleep comy at night on a solid bed.
And you achieve your goal and live your dream. You sail into that far-away lagoon.

And the TV crowd? What have they achieved in the last year?
Absolutely nothing. They can tell you what was on TV. That's all. They might have dreamed, but that's about it.

You need to set those goals.
And achieving them is never easy. Thats why they are goals. Only those with the real passion achieve their goals.

Regards,

Banjo.
Works for me!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:11   #62
KEG

For me goals are for work, drudgery, toil.

Dreams are for play, pleasure.

I’ve reached my goals in life so now I dream.

My dream is to sail the inside passage and I have already begun the process to make the dream reality. I do not consider the steps required to reach my dream goals because they are not work; I enjoy each so they are pleasure.

My next step is to build a pram (started). It will be joy through and through. Then I will move on from there and buy a sailboat. Next learn and rig. Outfit. Go.

My new goal is to live the rest of my life in my dreams.

Matthew
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:18   #63

Boat: In the market for a 35'-40'er in FL
Dream-That I never have another fish taken by a stupid shark
Goal-be able to speak five languages. I am fluent in English, good at Hebrew, and my Spanish is not bad. Got two more to go, perhaps Thai and Tagolag, got to save up for another Rosetta Stone. I don't sell it or have anything to gain from you buying it, but it works and fast too.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07   #64

Boat: Seal 22, 22 feet LOA
At the risk of sounding arrogant which I am not I only have goals (by the way I am a qualified psychotherapist and help people with this).

This is how I have achieved so many things in my life and people say to me "To do everything you have done you must be a hundred years old!"

I won't bore you with what they all are.

So I agree with the OP.

Some goals are long term and some goals are short term and some goals are a mixture of long and short term. However as long as you are heading in the right general direction (just like tacking) you will get where you want to go.

Take the newbie sailor who sets out to become a commercial Yachtmaster Ocean (long term goal) Undertakes a basic sailing course (short term goal) gradually works his way through the steps as short term goals, including radio licence, first aid certificate, survival course etc all of which can be short term goals, mid term goals or long term goals (depending on available time and money and ability)

Just remember YOU CANNOT FAIL, this is a vital mindset in order to get when you want to go.

Ok you are doing the yachtmaster course and you don't for whatever reason pass. Have you failed NO just do it again and this time you start the course with what you NOW know, so you are better prepared.

The same goes for any part of the syllabus or any syllabus for that matter. This is clearly an example only as most people don't want to be a commercial Ocean Yachtmaster, but the truth holds, for what ever your personal goals are.

REMEMBER - YOU ONLY FAIL WHEN YOU STOP TRYING!
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22   #65

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
We've already reached the goal. Living your dreams. Right here, right now. Just like we said we would.
No doubt having developed and implemented a proper plan

As did we; and so, we are also LIVING THE DREAM BABY!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Lots of Dreams..... would not know where to start... but right now I'm looking for another goal....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23   #67

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We dreamed about living aboard full time, and realized our dream...I suppose that made it a goal. We dreamed about taking a year off work and sailing, we did...so again a goal I suppose.
I suspect it does not always matter what an individual chooses to call something since it is for them and not for other folks they are dreaming or setting goals. it's all in the approach and attitude. I can after both dreams and goals...one just sounds like more fun than the other.
Fair Winds and good times reaching your dreams or goals
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18   #68

Boat: Seal 22, 22 feet LOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega1860 View Post
No doubt having developed and implemented a proper plan

As did we; and so, we are also LIVING THE DREAM BABY!
That is really great to read. Enjoy it you've earned the right.

IMHO a dream is a goal not yet implemented, or started, but once the first serious step has been taken the dream becomes a goal.

It is my dream to live aboard in the future, this won't become a goal as serious health issues that I can't counteract prevent it from ever becoming a reality, and therefore a realistic goal.

I can still dream though can't I?

Pagan (Nev)
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36   #69

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
It is my dream to live aboard in the future, this won't become a goal as serious health issues that I can't counteract prevent it from ever becoming a reality, and therefore a realistic goal.

I can still dream though can't I?

Pagan (Nev)
You certainly can still dream. You must have some serious health issues and I will pray for you.

But I wonder.

I knew a man in Honolulu who lived aboard. He used a walker to get around, carried an oxygen tank on a strap with a plastic tube up his nose and went in for dialysis every few days. His license plate read "Pearl Harbor Survivor" Tough old bird. He aways said "Don't let the bastards get you down".
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56   #70

Boat: a sailing boat
Definitely.

I too met people with health issues that would be seen (by others) as impossible to cope with while living aboard.

I am aware this is not always possible but I hope for all dreamers they will live their dream one day.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 14:27   #71

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Speaking of health issues reminds me of Tristan Jones who sailed half way around the world on one leg, then none. And there was the the Canadian solo sailor John Dennis who had serious diabetes but competed in the Velux 5 Oceans and is planning to do it again. And a blind guy recently climbed Mt. Everest so almost anything is possible these days.
Old 06-02-2011, 15:10   #72

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
I remember I had been dreaming in a sort of distant way about getting our coastal cruiser down to the Bahamas a couple of years ago. But it was a pretty abstract dream . . . Then I bought one of the Bahamas cruising guides (I think it was Matthew Wilson's), and right up front in big letters it said, "Stop dreaming. Start planning." It was fantastic advice, exactly what I needed to hear. I started planning, making lists, figuring out logistics, etc. And it all happened within next year. So now whenever I really want something to happen, I think, "Stop dreaming. Start planning."
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 17:14   #73

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Lightbulb Too True

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lots of Dreams..... would not know where to start... but right now I'm looking for another goal....
+1 There Boatman....How about "I want it all". I dream of a snow covered foredeck halfway to Alaska but my goal (right now) is to circumnavigate Vancouver Island. Not too big compared to what Mark J has done but it will set the stage for things to come. When I retire I want to be liberated to work harder in service of my too many dreams.

Till then there is atleast spring refit and upkeep to do. #1 job done already. (new motormount installed) #2 New bobstay...and so it goes.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 18:05   #74

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
wooaahhh is me...

Thanks...
now it seems my dreams of retirement and diving are never going to be a reality because all this time I've failed to make them become goals. Now I'm forever doomed to cat naps and bedtime "dreams"... all because of the definition of a word.
Old 06-02-2011, 18:50   #75

Boat: 8.7 Columbia
I have both dream and goal....thanks for asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
A Goal is something that is tangiable, something that (within reason) can be attained. My 'goal' is to sell my powerboat so I can buy a sailing boat.

A Dream is something much more special, more of an idea or ideal than something tangiable. It's more emotional and may be something that you could not possibly acheive, however, it gives you something to aim for.

To say the two are interchangable is daft, no one says "i'm living the Goal".....
My dream used to be to buy a sail boat. That soon turned into a goal. It came to pass. I now have a 27' Morgan. Now my dream is to own a 35' Hunter. My goal is now to learn how to sail it. haha (and to get my wife over her sea-sickness) My goal is to cruise north by the end of summer. I have a few friends up around the Poquoson area who also have sailboats and I am thinking about a weekend gathering.
Sailboats Rock is offline   Reply With Quote