Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 05:18   #841
CLOD

Boat: none
Everyone loves the Free Market System; except of course when it benefits someone else. I guess this is to be excepted on a thread about low cost items.

If you choose to live the low cost life-style that's fine. Buy don't start blaming or trashing others that choose to work in the system.

I'm not rich, but aren't poor either and I don't feel bad about it.
Old 15-01-2011, 06:02   #842

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
When?

When the first $500/mnth thread was started the question was " is it still possible today?" Why threads have to drift into "bumming off others/nearly living as a tramp" is beyond comprehension. We are trying to be objective and real. Obviosly someone contemplating cruising on this ammount has a limited budget, don't knock them, try to help analysis the question. We did it comfortably 1995-2002 as a couple. Can it still be done with present fuel prices,customs fees,food prices etc. We were in the Carribean, St Maarten to Trinidad.
Clyde
Old 15-01-2011, 06:05   #843

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Point of this thread - IMHO - is to illuminate how it is possible to cruise on a minimalist budget - not socio-economic political biases.
- - It is very possible to cruise in a very simple small boat and not spend tens of thousands to do it. But it is all a lifestyle choice. Remove the large boat along with gads of electronics and electric and refrigeration, etc., and you cut cruising costs by a major amount. Do your own maintenance and repair; buy used but serviceable parts along with buckets rather than $400 electric pumps and costs plummet.
- - Keep it simple and safe and your main costs will be only food and drink. Even that can be keep low by buying where the "locals" buy their foods and not in the fancy upscale markets used by the affluent or those not willing to eat subsistence food.
- - Whether it is $500/month or somewhat more or somewhat less it is also more a function of what places you chose to stop at and visit. St Barths is not cheap; Dominica is . . . and there are similar places everywhere including the Med. The African side being better cost-wise than the European side.
Old 15-01-2011, 06:19   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Alright you !

Over to SSSM you go
Don't qualify.
Old 15-01-2011, 06:38   #845

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Simple and Spartan?

Re keeping it basic and simple ie Spartan is a valid way to go, but very few would like to live like that.
We had 33ft yacht with 18hp diesel, Carib dinghy with 15hp,windcharger and solar panels,electric windlass, roller furling,dodger and bimini,gas cooker,12v fridge,inverter with tv/video etc Thus a reasonably comfortable cruising home. Always on hook, cleaned boat with hookah system, fished most days,ate local products and stock from food retailers on better serviced islands,had to buy diesel,petrol and cooking gas. Did own maintenance and fixing where possible.No insurance or medical aid.Wonderful experience did not frequent or miss bars or dining establishments, bought rotis,KFC etc now and then
Clyde
Old 15-01-2011, 07:44   #846
Armchair Bucketeer

Low budget living (ashore / afloat fundamentally the same) is about making trade offs. Being succesful needs you to make good decisions on the trade offs that suit your own circumstances...........and that will involve a learning curve (i.e. decisions that were not correct).

Example being.......food storage. the longer food can be stored / preserved the cheaper overall food costs. that can be acheived by using a Fridge (but that brings both initial capital & ongoing running costs - maybe also for solar panels / generator & fuel. plus maintanence costs). Of course plenty do cruise without a fridge, but a cost for not doing so (canning costs in initial equipment, fuel and in time) or simply by buying foods that don't require preservation - but anything that restricts options will (overall) increase costs...........for each the choice will be different, and as equally right (or wrong) and subject to change as needs also change (the answer in Northern Europe vs the Carribean will be based on differing requirements - even if the answer can be the same).

IMO secret to low budget living is...........barter.

You barter what you can do well, for cash.

and then you barter that cash for stuff you need
Old 15-01-2011, 08:42   #847
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there is a lot to say in positivity for living inexpensively. i was raised in a tansition time for 2 families w ith big businesses and many millions of dollars until probate and executorship happened on one side and on the other-- i had a loving grandma who loved to spend all her money on her grandkids. her sister taught me a lot-- never pay retail can save millions of dollars over all. she did!she taught me to save by not spending. i chose to follow my aunt's words over my grandmothers....is a much better thing i do-- as i know how to survive and live with what i have and find needed items less expensively, and barter...is important as we do not know our futures.
Old 15-01-2011, 09:03   #848

Boat: Tartan 30
Yep, the best way to save money is to not spend it
Old 17-01-2011, 05:14   #849

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
For the safe of accuracy, that tax only applies to sailing vessels over 15 meters. In other words, anyone under 49' LOA is not subject to that tax.
That's how I read the tax also.
Old 17-01-2011, 05:46   #850

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a lot to say in positivity for living inexpensively. i was raised in a tansition time for 2 families w ith big businesses and many millions of dollars until probate and executorship happened on one side and on the other-- i had a loving grandma who loved to spend all her money on her grandkids. her sister taught me a lot-- never pay retail can save millions of dollars over all. she did!she taught me to save by not spending. i chose to follow my aunt's words over my grandmothers....is a much better thing i do-- as i know how to survive and live with what i have and find needed items less expensively, and barter...is important as we do not know our futures.
Sounds like good advice to me. I have talked to another person about living over seas and he said the same thing. If the kids want a hand out have them get you a fish local produce or coconuts for trade. Never just give them something for free barter it from them. You'll have them bringing you all kinds of food everyday and you don't have to go to town for it.
I have worked as a mechanic for the last twenty five years so I am hoping to barter services in the marinas from well to do cruisers for a little cash here and there along the way.
Old 17-01-2011, 09:33   #851

If you are a good mechanic you wont need to barter.You will be able to charge good dollars.And you wont need to be in marinas.If you have the reputation the customers will find you and you will work anywhere you can take your toolbag.
Old 17-01-2011, 12:35   #852

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
If you are a good mechanic you wont need to barter.You will be able to charge good dollars.And you wont need to be in marinas.If you have the reputation the customers will find you and you will work anywhere you can take your toolbag.
IF you are overseas and doing this, you will be (almost always) in breach of the terms of your visitors visa. Government types will be unhappy with you and perhaps eject you from the country. If the gov doesn't do it, then the local mechanics may well beat the crap out of you, or do other discouraging things. Throughout the world, folks don't like to have their rice bowls disrupted by foreigners.

And on a pedantic note, you don't barter your skills for cash... that's called employment. Barter means trading something you have for something that someone else has other than cash.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-01-2011, 13:26   #853
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IF you are overseas and doing this, you will be (almost always) in breach of the terms of your visitors visa. Government types will be unhappy with you and perhaps eject you from the country. If the gov doesn't do it, then the local mechanics may well beat the crap out of you, or do other discouraging things. Throughout the world, folks don't like to have their rice bowls disrupted by foreigners.
My guess is the consequences would depend on the country involved.

Also got to remember that your "fellow" foreigners just as likely to cause you legal problems as the locals - whether that be because you have fallen out with them, have caused some imaginary sleight, are perceived as too rich / too good looking / too whatever or they are a self appointed busybody who wishes to feel important or a business rival............

Funniest one was many years ago in Thailand a fella used to get deported during and at the end of each tourist season (owned half a bar, but no work visa), took a couple of years to work out it was his business partner behind it all and both of those were foreigners

Quote:
And on a pedantic note, you don't barter your skills for cash... that's called employment. Barter means trading something you have for something that someone else has other than cash.

Cheers,

Jim
and I raise you one Pedant

Receipt in goods would likely be a benefit in kind and therefore still taxable as income (otherwise we would all be paid in shiney objects instead of cash).............not only in the country you were (not) earning in but also (dependent on the tax laws of your own country of tax residence) would be reportable as income - some countries have stiff penalties for tax fraud...............of course in practice with no cash involved less likely to leave a trail behind for any taxman to follow. But that not quite the same as "barter" being a tax free income............and therefore you could also be guilty of (no) working visa violations. Indeed, in some countries (no names ) simply talking about doing these things is probably a conspiracy, and doing so over the internet "wire fraud" or some such no evidence required catch all. IMO best stay away from dem folkz
Old 17-01-2011, 13:28   #854
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
normally what happens is you get dobbed in by a fellow foriegner yachty who is doing the same thing,and has been for a very long time,under the radar,and has been accepted by the locals,its called getting rid of the competition.

generally if you have somthing to offer,and are not overtly pc or capitalistic about it you will make enough to survive with out hurting anybodys feelings.

us/the workers have a common bond,no matter where you are in the world,as opposed to the monied opinionated few who have to justify their lazy luxury life styles,looking down on their fellow bretheren of the sea,and telling them they got it all wrong..................edit thx david old jersy you beat me toowit,though didnt want to name names
Old 17-01-2011, 16:17   #855
cruiser

If someone wanted me to do some welding for him in a foreign port, I would simply ask him to show me a receipt for a donation to the local women's shelter or transition house, as proof of payment.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising