Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 20:12   #1
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Charter trips as gifts

We've always dreamed of sailing in Thailand (and diving and trying the cuisine, etc) but sailing there is... well... a LLOOOOOOONNNNNNGGG way.

So I've decided it's more practical to charter.
I'm thinking of buying a charter package for my hubby for a Christmas gift. However, charters have always been a join decision. I'm a little worried about how it will work out.
Has anyone given a charter trip as a gift (where the other person is not involved in the decision making of the purchase?)
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 20:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Charter trips as gifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
We've always dreamed of sailing in Thailand (and diving and trying the cuisine, etc) but sailing there is... well... a LLOOOOOOONNNNNNGGG way.

It's a bit shorter, and probably easier, if you go the other way round (maybe 1,000nm or so less if you go direct as possible ? )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 21:05   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
However, charters have always been a join decision. I'm a little worried about how it will work out.
An honest answer: I would be less than happy if my partner would spent that much of our money on a charter trip like that, without discussing the trip.

But - that's just how I feel about it, and we're all different.

You know your husband best, and since you're not 100% sure he'll be all that happy with having no say in the where, when and how - maybe it's best to make it a joined decision?
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 21:15   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
An honest answer: I would be less than happy if my partner would spent that much of our money on a charter trip like that, without discussing the trip.

But - that's just how I feel about it, and we're all different.

You know your husband best, and since you're not 100% sure he'll be all that happy with having no say in the where, when and how - maybe it's best to make it a joined decision?
Same here. How about a fancy invitation card to "A Thailand Charter Holiday (details to be decide)"

After all, it's the thought that counts, not the details
Old 24-11-2015, 09:43   #5

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Are you sure you are buying the 'charter package' for HIM and not yourself? If you are, you could well be on your way to being single again, without prior consultation.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:41   #6

Boat: Union cutter 33

Wish my better half would buy us this would luv it ..go for it girl
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:25   #7

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I gave my wife the promise of a cruise. Handed her a card with a brochure tucked int it in a nice restaurant on her birthday. That gave her the opportunity to "trade" it for something else if she couldn't stand to spend that much money on it.

If you have your own income and have the money set aside for it .... that may be different. My daughter has an account set aside to take her husband on an Eidlewiess motorcycle tour in Europe for his 40th birthday. A couple of months ago at age 38 when she became a stay at home Mom. Before that she hasn't been without a job for more than a couple of weeks since she was 16. She will have been feeding that account for over 10 years when he turns 40. It is a pretty good chunk of change for them but he shan't whine about the money......
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:11   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Why does EVERY post from the OP's account (the OP is a Navionics vendor) have to have a veiled Navionics advertisement?

Really, does anyone on this forum NOT know where Thailand is in relation to the USA?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:47   #9

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Why does EVERY post from the OP's account (the OP is a Navionics vendor) have to have a veiled Navionics advertisement?

Really, does anyone on this forum NOT know where Thailand is in relation to the USA?

Mark
Could he be "advertising"? ... OMG please say it isn't so ... Isn't that a on this forum?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:48   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Mark
I agree with your first sentence.

As for the second.

Judging by the knowledge of geography displayed by "average Joe", the answer to that may well be "Many don't have a clue"
Old 24-11-2015, 16:12   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

And if you think that this is not a veiled advertisement, consider that the wife is using the same account as the husband, while asking about a surprise Christmas gift.

Also consider that almost all of these "Navionics" posts follow the new form of social media advertisement that intentionally blurs product with participation.

Don't fall for it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 07:58   #12

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Also consider that almost all of these "Navionics" posts follow the new form of social media advertisement that intentionally blurs product with participation.
I was wondering why that map was posted, but being a newbie I don't recognize any of the posters yet.
Does explain why the OP doesn't respond: no need

Guess I'll have to be a little more observant so I don't waste my time on topics like this
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter