Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 10:31   #61

Re: Cats vs Mono..why a mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What land people call beds boat people call bunks perhaps?

;-)

And, seriously: I love cats and I know they are the cruising today and the future. But I have seen only one this far that was anything less than claustrophobic down below in the hulls. She was, I think, about 50'.

b.
Then mono's below 100' must be horrifying if you need a 50' cat to feel the space.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:46   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

People stating that a cat has more stability under sail are just ignorant. They probably confuse heel angle with stability.

Personally I prefer monohulls and after many Atlantic crossings aboard a famous one, I can confirm this that nothing beats the ride aboard the monohull Queen Mary 2

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:50   #63

Boat: In Progress

Since the OP is looking at owning a boat in f 5 years, I thought I might pitch in a few DIY boats I was looking at recently.

Though I do agree some are just butt ugly, the same could be said for monohulls it's just a matter of personal opinion on form vs performance and commodity.

Though the first 2 are open bridgedeck, they are available in full BD arrangement. They also have somewhat roomy interiors and acceptable performance for their size without much loss to payload.

Here's a Shuttle 31

And here's a Shuttleworth 37

A Schionning Wilderness 1250X

And finally one of those special cats

Best part is that if you have the patience, you can build one at half or even a third of the cost a new production boat would go for. As well they can be customized to fit the owners needs during the construction process as well as support from the designers.

I didn't post any pictures of lagoon's or Prouts because there are plenty of them sailing. Nor did I post bigger models because I assume they would be out of the OPs range (50ft+ cats).

Again this topic is widespread so I won't go into other things!
DavidAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:28   #64

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Personally I prefer monohulls and after many Atlantic crossings aboard a famous one, I can confirm this that nothing beats the ride aboard the monohull Queen Mary 2
All those formal-dress nights were a pain, leastwise they were on the QE2.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:52   #65

Being a no-hull owner myself, I can't really express an opinion. But taking the mono-multi claims pretty much at face value, I'm imagining -

-a beautiful evening at anchor in a secluded harbor somewhere. One boat of each type securely riding on calm waters, crews with sundowners in hand. But one crew is sitting cramped in a narrow cockpit looking across the water at an ugly boat; the other is relaxing in a roomy cockpit looking across the water at a pretty boat.

Doesn't seem fair, somehow.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 14:04   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Being a no-hull owner myself, I can't really express an opinion. But taking the mono-multi claims pretty much at face value, I'm imagining -

-a beautiful evening at anchor in a secluded harbor somewhere. One boat of each type securely riding on calm waters, crews with sundowners in hand. But one crew is sitting cramped in a narrow cockpit looking across the water at an ugly boat; the other is relaxing in a roomy cockpit looking across the water at a pretty boat.

I own a mono, but am no way against cats aside from price. My 35' mono is both pretty and spacious. She doesn't have the sleek lines of a racer or racer cruiser, but she has salty good looks.

I have two good sized sleeping cabins both well over 6' of head room plus a full standing headroom workshop. My centre cockpit is not suitable for entertaining half a dozen hipsters, but in April or November when it's windy and seas are rolling and I'm shipping spray, I can't imagine a wide wet cockpit is where I'd want to be. Snuggling up in my cozy centre cockpit under a sleeping bag, dry and out of the wind has a comfort all its own.

I could be wrong, but my impression is cats might be better suited to calm Caribbean waters and summers in the med. In dirty weather, my well insulated cozy, heavy displacement mono is a different kind of comfortable.

What's better. Bananas or cheese? Depends on what you want to eat and what your current nutritional needs are.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 14:15   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post

I could be wrong,
Lets leave it at that then shall we?

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 15:49   #68
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post

Cool. I like that one, thanks. I agree, by the way. Monohulls are much prettier boats. But I didn't buy a boat for pretty. Me in a pretty boat would just be.....wrong.
Old 09-05-2015, 16:07   #69
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

My guess is there are a lot more multihullers here that have extensive monohull experience than there are monohullers that have extensive multihull experience. And you don't even have to read between the lines to reach this conclusion.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 16:10   #70
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
People stating that a cat has more stability under sail are just ignorant. They probably confuse heel angle with stability.

I bet on a flat calm day, someone could pass gas in the wrong direction and knock you're boat over to the point of the rails being in the water.[emoji13]
Old 09-05-2015, 18:15   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Lets leave it at that then shall we?

Did I mention I'm full time Captain of a 700 passenger commercial (power) cat and have some insight into the benefits and limitations of the catamaran design?

Old 09-05-2015, 18:25   #72

There I am, coming out from after about my thousandth trip under Niagara Falls. Total Catamaran newbie.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431221028515.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	101686  
Old 09-05-2015, 18:56   #73

Oh, and I've spent some time in open water on big Cats too. Of course, she doesn't look too big here because only the bridge deck can be seen above the seas.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431222929385.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	101688  
Old 09-05-2015, 19:09   #74

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
My guess is there are a lot more multihullers here that have extensive monohull experience than there are monohullers that have extensive multihull experience. And you don't even have to read between the lines to reach this conclusion.
I suppose many former mono-hulled sailboaters "graduated" to multihull sailboats while others to single-hulled motor vessels. Betcha, as in my case, this mostly reflects the ageing of the sailors.
Old 09-05-2015, 19:21   #75
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I suppose many former mono-hulled sailboaters "graduated" to multihull sailboats while others to single-hulled motor vessels. Betcha, as in my case, this mostly reflects the ageing of the sailors.

I guess I "aged" at the age of 31.