Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2012, 07:58   #31
cruiser

Re: BVI Best for Registering a Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by la reverie View Post
I guess you have to pay some of these also in Jersey:
Provisional registration £108
Transfer of Ownership by Bill of Sale £108
Change of Vessel name £42

I guess Change of vessel name is only paid if you change the name later.

But the main problem is that you still need the survey as in British Virgin Island, but it is probably a better deal anyway.

Also for the Jersey Route you can still do the Tonnage Survey on the BVI. The Tonnage Survey isn't a big deal. Contact a Surveyer on the BVI for a qoute.
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 11:14   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: BVI Best for Registering a Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by la reverie View Post
I guess you have to pay some of these also in Jersey:
Provisional registration £108
Transfer of Ownership by Bill of Sale £108
Change of Vessel name £42

I guess Change of vessel name is only paid if you change the name later.

But the main problem is that you still need the survey as in British Virgin Island, but it is probably a better deal anyway.

All of these figures and more can be found here: http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocu...00122%20SW.pdf
Ignoring the change of name fee (as not compulsory) then that comes out at approx £600 / USD1000 - however also need a Jersey resident as a "Representative Person" (simply a default contact name and address to receive any notices from the Registry if unable to contact the owner (i.e. they move and forget to say where to!) - the Representative Person has no power over the vessel or registration and is not an Agent / intermediary, the Registry would normally deal direct with the Owner).

half a dozen businesses offer the service, as listed on the Registry Website:-

http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocu...20-%202012.pdf

IIRC the going rate does vary somewhat , so best to shop around - I beleive can get someone to act for around £50 a year, depending on the deal struck they may even handhold you through the initial registration process, albeit it's not rocket science - website pretty clear :-

http://www.gov.je/Travel/MaritimeAvi...istration.aspx

So, now you are looking at approx £1100 / USD1800 (plus tonnage survey) - which over a 10 year registration period is about the same as the BVI (depending on exchange rates)..........before paying for the BVI Resident to act as the Representative Person!, no idea on those costs - but I see that they have a bit more legal (ass in the sling!) commitment to make than the Jersey equivalent has to, so unless a mate involved that will be reflected in the cost!

BTW you need a person / Jersey registered company to act as the Representative Person, not just a Jersey PO box or address!........strangely enough (for over here) it is not a regulated activity, so anyone can act for you and not just those on the the list above - so if you have freinds or family over here give 'em a call and could save you a few quid ........that approach might also work with someone over here who likes beer .

and just to remind folks, Jersey Reg available to:-

Jersey residents
British citizens
British Nationals (Overseas)
British Overseas Territory citizens
British Commonwealth of Nations citizens
European Community citizens

That is basically EU or Commonwealth passport holders (no need for residency in those places) - plus some bits of left over empire , except the US .

Mmmm....Beer .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat