Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 17:36   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Butterfly 12'

I hope this is the right forum to put this in...

My husband and I will begin to learn to sail this summer. (Can't wait!!) We have a small recreational lake near us... and I'm looking for a small dinghy type sailboat that can be put on our roof.. that we could take to the lake... that is big enough for both of us to go out on... and practice our basic skills.

I found the Butterfly 12'...

Does anyone have any experience with this little boat? one of the yacht clubs in the area rent them out.. but they state a weight limit of 400 pounds for 2 adults... My husband and I are larger people.. and we would definitely go over that limit.

I've looked up specs.. and I've seen some sites that rate it at 600 pound capacity...

Can't get a definitiive answer..

Anyone have any insight on this little boat? Will it hold us? and is it possible to put it on the top of our SUV?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 17:55   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Butterfly 12'

I grew up with butterfly's! You must be in the midwest? There used to be large classes of them there at every sailing club. They are great boats. They are a scow, so will be slightly different in sailing characteristics than a laser or sunfish, but nothing so different to that you will notice learning to sail. You will have a lot of fun with it!

They are a bit heavy, so I don't know what the limit for a roof rack is, or how able you will be to lift it up there. I don't know the weight, but it must be around 150lbs.

As for weight, all of the boats in this size will have lower weight limits. They won't sink just because you exceed them. You will learn to sail them just the same. Are you sure you weren't looking at the racing class weight limit? That would just be the limit of the class and not the physical limit of the boat. On the other hand, if together you exceed 400lbs and are pushing 600lbs, then pretty much no boat this size is going to be very comfortable or easy to maneuver in.

Any boat this size will be somewhat difficult with two grown people on it simply because of space limitations. The boat is basically a surfboard with a foot well. Actually, it will be quite cramped. But the positive is that either of you can take it out yourselves very easily, and you will get used to the space problem when together.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 18:06   #3

Boat: hunter 376

Dinghy sailing is a lot of fun, easy to learn, and allows lots of skill building, but usually leads to "10 foot-itis" in short order. Enjoy that boat, but start considering a larger boat you can trailer, possibly even sleep in, and the rest will follow. Sailing is just such a great sport and hobby, and its nice to hear from an enthusiastic newbie. Good luck.
David on "Morgan."
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 19:07   #4

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I suggest you have a look at some 420s and such. More sails, more lines, more crap to trip over and more ways to screw up... just like bigger boats.

I also suggest a trailer. I've carried boats to the water and can say without a doubt that it is a horrible way to get them there. Bless the man or woman that invented the wheel.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-03-2014, 07:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
As for weight, all of the boats in this size will have lower weight limits. They won't sink just because you exceed them. You will learn to sail them just the same. Are you sure you weren't looking at the racing class weight limit? That would just be the limit of the class and not the physical limit of the boat. On the other hand, if together you exceed 400lbs and are pushing 600lbs, then pretty much no boat this size is going to be very comfortable or easy to maneuver in.

Any boat this size will be somewhat difficult with two grown people on it simply because of space limitations. The boat is basically a surfboard with a foot well. Actually, it will be quite cramped. But the positive is that either of you can take it out yourselves very easily, and you will get used to the space problem when together.

Mark
Yeah.. we aren't THAT big...

We do canoing, and Kayaking and biking.. and we do yoga... with no problems at all... I just wanted to make sure that they could handle over 400...
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Dinghy sailing is a lot of fun, easy to learn, and allows lots of skill building, but usually leads to "10 foot-itis" in short order. Enjoy that boat, but start considering a larger boat you can trailer, possibly even sleep in, and the rest will follow. Sailing is just such a great sport and hobby, and its nice to hear from an enthusiastic newbie. Good luck.
David on "Morgan."

We already have it!! We are working toward our retirement goal of owning a catamaran and living aboard. But, we need to learn how to sail first. We have made arrangements to get our first 4 certifications... and we can certainly crew or charter. But, with being in Missouri.. we are sort of land locked... so, not a lot of opportunity to practice our sailing skills. The larger boats aren't allowed on our recreational lake... so.. I thought it might be a fun way for us to practice our maneuvers... otherwise.. we will go a really LONG time without any practice on a boat..
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24   #7

Boat: PSC 34

Sounds like fun. I learned to sail on a small lake. The wind velocity and direction changed constantly and I learned fast and I learned a lot. Fair winds.
Seagullf111a is offline   Reply With Quote