Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 18:18   #16

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Boat Books

There are lots of "boat books". I snag as many as I can and read them. Some are recent: "Extreme Waves" is pretty new. Others are older: Olin Stephens once showed me his copy of a 18th century French Naval Architecture treatise. So far, I have about fifteen feet of "boat book" shelves. I hope each book makes me a better sailor in one way or another. I try to stay updated online too. If we don't learn something new every day, why wake up?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 02:10   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Boat Books

[QUOTE=thinwater;1191841. For example, we regulary see posts from those that think GPS replaces coastal piloting skills. Little do they realize how many areas have not been up-dated since the 70s. I hope they stay on the main roads.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, but to be entirely correct, it is "updated since the 1870's"

Lots of charts are still based on data obtained in the 1800's and I'm including coastal european waters. go into the pacific and many charts are based on sounding taken by Captain Cook.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 03:38   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I'm a bit of book collector when it comes to boats / sailing etc I have just under 600 currently and the aim is 1000 before 65 . I have old , new, fiction , technical etc. including 4 versions of Bowditch going back to 1895.

No book contains the answers , again the modern mind seems to be conditioned to seek " direction" rather then to engage in understanding and then to form your own ideas and then to have the courage of your resulting convictions.

I mean I have 30 books on celestial nav yet I have my own particular way of doing it.

I have 25 books that deal with heavy weather sailing , again all are right and none are right.

Dave

Tags
books