Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2017, 13:45   #1

Bimini/Dodger maker in Toronto area ?

Hello
Can anyone recommend a place to have a bimini/dodger and frame made in the Toronto area??

I haven't found much by searching google. I Just seem to get general marine stores
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 14:39   #2

Boat: Douglas 32
Re: Bimini/Dodger maker in Toronto area ?

I googled 'toronto sail maker dodger' and got:

(Toronto ) Genco ( made mine ) gencomarine.com
(Toronto ) riggingshoppe.com/page.cfm/Sail_And_Canvas.html
(St. Catherines ) sportechsails.com
(Toronto ) islandcanvas.ca
(Toronto ) hurricanecanvas.com
(Westbrook ) topshop.on.ca

- Kim
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 15:20   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Abby at Island Canvas 416 366 6024, cell 416 579 6024. Whatever you do don't get the guy from St. Catherines.
Old 30-01-2017, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Abby at Island Canvas 416 366 6024
I've heard good things about Island Canvas. I also like the folks at Genco; they made the dodger that came with our boat.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:01   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If you go with Genco ( who do good work) you have to stay ontop of them. and DO NOT let them use a pattern from stock. It will be wrong. We made that mistake with our dodger. Even with them measuring for the bimini they did some weird stuff that had to be redone a couple of times before they got it right!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:11   #6

Boat: MacGregor 26S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If you go with Genco ( who do good work) you have to stay ontop of them. and DO NOT let them use a pattern from stock. It will be wrong. We made that mistake with our dodger. Even with them measuring for the bimini they did some weird stuff that had to be redone a couple of times before they got it right!
what you just described is:'not doing a good job'
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:21   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo View Post
what you just described is:'not doing a good job'
True, but the actually canvaswork ( sewing etc.) is good quality, the problem is the people spec'ing and (re)measuring!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:21   #8

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Most all the dodgers in NOLSC are either from Genco (expensive but good) or from Jaime Day at Sportech Sails in St Kitts. Mine is from Jaime and is excellent as is the sail bucket on the boom.

Whatever you do, talk the sailmaker and make up your own mind....don't listen to Rick as he might be referring to Jaime's predecessor: Ray Brimsede.

" Whatever you do don't get the guy from St. Catherines"
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:38   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

I just had my dodger replaced and the extension modified to create a fixed bimini and a removable section (including tubing modifications) by Paul at Blue Water Marine. He operates out of Wiggers Custom Yachts in Bowmanville / Port Darlington. Wiggers Custom Yachts
I was more than pleased with the product and the pricing. If you PM me I can give you his email address.

edit: http://www.wiggerscustomyachts.com/boatRepairs.html contains a link to Wiggers. It just seems to show up 'funny' in the post ....
bobfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:48   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

I know Nat jr at Genco very well and have used his products. Mike Bennett of Bennett Custom Canvas worked at Genco for a number of years.

Mike is very creative and dies very good design and sewing. His price is going to be the same as Genco.

Abby at Island Canvas is also very good although I can't speak from experience.

If you used Genco deal with Jr's he is considerably more reliable than his father. They have a problem of promising a delivery date with no commitment to keeping it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:20   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdr14127 View Post
Most all the dodgers in NOLSC are either from Genco (expensive but good) or from Jaime Day at Sportech Sails in St Kitts. Mine is from Jaime and is excellent as is the sail bucket on the boom.

Whatever you do, talk the sailmaker and make up your own mind....don't listen to Rick as he might be referring to Jaime's predecessor: Ray Brimsede.

" Whatever you do don't get the guy from St. Catherines"
No I'm talking about Jaime. I have seen a lot of canvas work and his is not up to par. He chintzes severely on the seams. A very important area I ordered a dodger from him at the boat show for delivery in April. He hadn't even started it and the boat was being commissioned in Charleston. Never again.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-01-2017, 12:16   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
Hello
Can anyone recommend a place to have a bimini/dodger and frame made in the Toronto area??

I haven't found much by searching google. I Just seem to get general marine stores
Here are some I have had personal and professional experience with:

1. Island Canvas. (Queens Quay) 416-366-7105

2. Dreamcast. (Bowmanville) 647-800-3960

3. Blue Water Marine. (Bowmanville) Paul and Joan McDonald (Our choice for our personal boat.) 905-213-4498

4. Genco. (Mississauga) 905-278-2891

All will be busy quoting right now after the boat show. Place order as soon as you can if you want it before summer.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 17:46   #13

Boat: Beneteau 423

I had an entire cockpit enclosure made for my Irwin 43 MkIII at Genco in Mississauga/Etobicoke. Jonathan came to the boat twice to take measurements then again to do a final install. Jonathan takes very accurate measurements and makes an entire template for each of the pieces. In my case that was dodger, bimini, spacer, and all side curtains. Put lexan windows in the dodger and in back corners of the enclosure. Still fits perfectly after 2 seasons.
I also has a winter cover made by Genco. I takes a real beating every winter sitting outside at Killbear Marina on Georgian Bay.
Needless to say, I can recommend them.
Gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 20:00   #14

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41

I had a full enclosure made by Dreamcast last season. Excellent product and service. Recommend them very highly.
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 20:36   #15

Boat: C&C

Don't know what Vasco is talking about and wouldn't believe it!!! Jamie at Sportech built a great Bimini and Dodger for us !!! Both with great stitching that has showed no signs of breaking down after 5 seasons in the Bahamas. Also built me a stainless steel arch for my 2 solar panels that is very strong out of 1" SS.
I also have a boat back on Lake Ontario that he built a winter cover for over 10 years ago that is holding up very well!!! All his seams are second to none!!! I think Vasco might have a personality conflict with him or tried to jew him down and didn't get far. Jamie learned his trade from one of the best "Hans Fogh" rest his soul!!! Two years ago we sat in West End during a blow and watched a guy from Pt Dalhousie who kicked tires and didn't use Sportech cause he got a "better deal"!!! Ya right, he was spread eagle on top of his bimini during the blow trying to save it. We were 3 slips away with a 3 year older bimini and dodger with no problems and snug as a couple of bugs in a rug!!!Give Jamie a call and tell him "Yogi" sent you.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, dodger