Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 08:07   #31

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
We use AC often to decide which marina to stay at, but it is only one source of information.

The problem with AC is that the majority of marinas have a four or five star rating. Five star should mean that the marina is perfect in every way. There should be very few that qualify, just as there are very few marinas which deserve a one star.
BINGO! I'm sorry, you should not be getting a five star rating (and maybe not even a four star rating) unless you are delivering bon-bon's and freshly ground coffee to my boat each morning along with my favorite newspaper. Oh, and changing out my cat's litter box.

The last review I completed of a marina, I was the only one to give it anything other than five stars. This is a place where cock-roaches were coming out of the cracks in the shower that is cleaned one a week during high season and where there is no staff on hand after about 4 PM, all of Sunday, and randomly on other days.

In my book, there should be maybe ten five-star marinas on the whole of the east coast US.

Active Captain should include an algorithm that deprecates one star from every marina and anchorage every season automatically, or something along those lines, to encourage a reality check. Alternatively, when you join, you should vote on the selection of 15 criteria that are important to you and then the system would gather those criteria and compare them against the reports and give you a rating based on your individual or group preferences.

Point is... there are lots of ways to make it better.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 08:45   #32

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Active Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I do.
So Jammer, if you were in a bar talking to another boater who had recently been down a channel that you were proposing to go down tomorow and he said "watch yourself near marker green 26. I ran aground on a shoal 20 feet off of the mark last week. I had to go over to the red side to get through", you would pass 20 feet off of marker green 26?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain