Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 18:34   #1

Boat: Ted brewer 40
43 Bruce Roberts mauritious offer in!!

Just put in an offer. The owner is expected to accept.

When the offer is accepted I’ll line up the survey with haul out. The boat is solid and in great shape. Unless anything major comes to view on the survey, I believe it’s a solid deal.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...achtbrokerage&
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:45   #2

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Re: 43 Bruce Roberts mauritious offer in!!

Congrats ! I loved this design but ended up building the Roberts 36 launched in ‘84, as I thought the 43 might just take too long and stretch the budget. The 36 was a great cruising boat for the time and I think the 43 would be much better. Enjoy
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 15:49   #3

I’m stoked. I knew it was the right boat in the second minute of looking at it. Love that it has a generator and air conditioning forward and aft. I never thought I’d own something so luxurious
The overall boat was is impressive for the offer amount. It feels like a 50 ft. Super spacious. Everything is just in great order. With a few upgrades, it will be exactly what I want with no reserves about crossings.
Old 02-06-2019, 17:15   #4

Boat: Passport 40

It lookds pretty spartan on the interiors. I don't want to discourage you, but just make sure you ARE getting a good deal. Roberts designs are usually built or finished by the owner, which makes them all over the place in terms of equipment, finish, and even build quality right off the bat. That's why also the prices can be ALL over the place. You cannot compare an owner finished Roberts to a properly built one in terms of price. My point is, just make sure you have covered all your bases and compared a lot of SIMILAR Roberts boats. They do have a very wide variety of prices, and you need to make sure you are paying in the right bracket for the day you would want to sell.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 18:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

In bygone years I built a Roberts 38 out of steel, and have been around numerous homebuilt boats, so I have a discerning eye when it comes to home built boats. Most all Roberts are homebuilt, so as the above author states, one must take extra care in the survey and not allow love or lust to overcome common sense. The Mauritius is a particularly beautiful boat in my opinion so it's easy to " fall in love" so to speak, but from what I've seen from the photo's, I agree with the above author, that it looks to be a bit " spartan" in areas, which would trigger alarm bells in my mind.
A survey....hopefully...will give you an unbiased professional opinion.
Remember this caveat always. The definition of any boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money. Whatever price you may end up paying for this boat will likely only be 50% (at minimum) of what you will actually invest in it before taking off on any trip.
Not trying to discourage you in any way, rather trying to imbue a sense of caution.
This is no different from buying a used car. Shiny tires do no necessarily tell the story of a how a vehicle was maintained.
None the less, sailing off into the great big beyond takes not only a sound boat, but also a sense of " adventure" for which no price tag has ever been assigned.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 18:08   #6

Thanks for that info. My previous ted brewer 39.9 taught me a lot. Remember I’m on Maui. There’s not a lot of choices or other boats to compare. I’m planning on sticking around Maui for at least five more years to stockpile cash. The boat was built in Trinidad in a shipyard for the owner to circumnavigate. I’m not sure what that tells me. From what I saw, it’s worth every bit of 30000. I can use any advice or help in regards to the actual value of this particular boat. I doubt the survey will show the value less. Everything works and I can’t find anything wrong with it. It doesn’t need anything at this moment. Bottom paint and autopilot is needed in the near future. The owner didn’t hesitate at all with the 30000 dollar offer so that could be a flag. The owner is a master engineer on a nuclear sub. He was moved to the mainland forcing him to sell. I felt 30k was lowballing a bit but I’m no expert at boat buying. I’ve noticed the market here in the middle of nowhere is all over the place. I didn’t plan on making an offer. It just happened. The boat really spoke to me. I’m not looking for bright work and high maintenance. There’s several small things I can do to make him more yachty. Yes I think it’s a he not a she. We will find out. I think by signing the 30000 dollar offer on paperwork holds me to that offer once accepted right? I understand I can back out of the deal and possibly lose the 10 percent down payment till the closing date.

I have a question? With insurance, is there a difference if the survey is done in or out of the water? It’s due for bottom paint and planned on pulling it out for the survey. If the survey is good, then paint it. Should I try to ask the owner to pay for haul out? I signed the offer sheet June 1st. Yesterday. I liked the boat so much that it won’t kill me if I made a few thousand dollar mistake.
Old 02-06-2019, 18:21   #7
Marine Service Provider

ah yes, the dreaded survey cost !, which is borne by the prospective buyer, but surveyors typically provide an unbiased eye. Without question, have the boat hauled !!!
Hull blisters, keel/hull joints, worn propellor shaft bearings., bent propellors and a whole host of other defects will easily be discerned when the boat is on the slings. 30,000 sounds awfully cheap for a 43' boat. If the boat was cored, you must check for water intrusion, etc...thru-hull fitting corrosion, etc. I could write a whole page on this.
Additionally, have the surveyor go up the mast, check all the mast fittings, rigging, sails, etc....not to mention a " seatrial". You've got a way to go. Wipe the lust from your eyes and be prepared for the worse.
Old 02-06-2019, 18:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

Get the survey done !!!
Old 02-06-2019, 18:39   #9

Good advice. The survey will be set as soon as the dry dock date is set. There’s about a month wait right now at the shipyard I want it hauled out at. Yep. It’s easy to fall in love!!
Old 02-06-2019, 18:45   #10

Looking at yacht world, there’s a couple listed at 65k one at 100k. One at 165k I felt 30000 was cheap for what the boat is but it just doesn’t have all the yachty stuff. Just plain Jane which is great for me. I’m anxious to see what the survey says.
Old 02-06-2019, 19:15   #11

Boat: Passport 40

Just make sure you can get out of the deal after survey. This should be standard contract, and you should be able to get out if you are not happy after the survey. You don't even need to justify why not. So, it would only be the haul out.

Try to get a surveyor that's really thorough. And make sure that everything that was not specified as NOT working, to be either discounted or replaced. You can't discount stuff that is cosmetic after survey (or you shouldn't). But if stuff that wasnt disclosed as selling "as is" or "not working" that aint, should command some negotiating after survey.

Good luck!
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce roberts, offer