Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2015, 03:39   #1

Storing a British registered sailboat in the USA

Hi,

Does anybody know the regulations regarding storing a British yacht in the USA for over 6 months?

I would like to take my boat from the Caribbean up the East coast, but I will probably be sailing for a couple of months and then going back to work for a while. Is it a problem to leave a british boat in a boatyard in the states? I heard someone say that 6 months is the maximum time allowed.

As yet I have no Visas or anything like that

Many thanks,
L.
Leeholeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 04:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Storing a British registered sailboat in the USA

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Leeholo.

This subject can get complicated, so best you ask CPBP.

Twenty-Five years ago we put our boat in bond, by surrendering our cruising license & Canadian registration. Eventually we imported the boat, and sold it (Ft Lauderdale, Fl).

Cruising licenses can be obtained from the US Customs port director at the first port of arrival in the US. Normally valid for one year, a cruising license has no bearing on the dutiability of a pleasure boat. Under Customs policy, when a foreign flag vessel’s cruising license expires, that vessel may not be issued another license until the following three conditions have been met: (1) the vessel leaves the US for a foreign port or place, and (2) it returns from that foreign port or place, and (3) at least 15 days have elapsed since the previous license expired. (Customs Directive 3100-06, November 7, 1988.)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ld-one-expires

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...d09oVUhuQ20%3D

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 04:58   #3

... as GordMay said: Up to a year on a cruising permit will be no problem.

As a European Citizen? you will need a B1/B2 visa to enter the US (or their territories) when sailing up from the Caribbean.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 19:42   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Your boat can stay in the US for one year, then must leave. You yourselves can stay in the US for six months out of every twelve.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 20:29   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Does it make any difference if the boat is stored on the hard and a bond is placed verifying it will depart US waters within a few months of launching?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 08:54   #6

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

In Europe, the 18 (?) month grace period (for non EU flags, before being subject to VAT...) can be waived, if boat undergoes yard works, to be officially registered.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 09:13   #7

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I am going through a lot of this myself. Don't expect CPBP troops on the ground to know the rules precisely. It varies by who you get when. Best to know and carry with you a copy of the regulations.
I was denied a cruising permit recently because:
1) I was not cruising (I was going to stay in one marina for a few months and that is NOT in this agents mind cruising)
2) I was an american citizen and should register my boat with USCG (made that mistake once).
3) I didn't deserve one since I had already two (with more than the required 15 day interval)

Finally I moved the boat to Canada where they love us and our money for a year with no problems even longer if we need more time to get work done.

In frustration we contacted higher ups in the CPBP and will get our issues resolved by intelligent senior officers who know and understand the regulations. The ground troops just can not be expected the grasp the fine details. Enough said.

If you need more information PM me.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 09:52   #8

@northwestsailor

It looks like living in the US is getting harder for (former) US citizens too :-)... and sailors too....

I will stay at large!!!
Old 26-11-2015, 14:25   #9

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

You can apply for a temporary US visa online - think it's valid for 90 days. A B1/B2 visa can be applied for but it demands an 'interview' at the US Embassy in your Country of domicile. It is valid for 6 months - that means 6 months in any given 12 months and is not calendar year dependent. Don't overstay any visa you obtain - US Immigration now knows exactly who stays and for how long.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 13:55   #10

Some very useful info here, thank you all.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:33   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Victor, you leave out the most interesting and perhaps relevant part of the story. If you are an American citizen, you would typically be ineligible to flag your vessel ("your" meaning any vessel you were the majority owner of) anywhere else. So having a foreign flagged vessel and asking to bring it in, to duck the normal flagging, would be an unusual situation. Surely, there's more you haven't shared with us?

And, while I don't back everything our government says, far from it, Thunderbird might take note that if you are an EX-citizen, you've already kissed the Fed goodbye. It isn't unreasonable for them to remember that fondly and tell you to go stay in the place you found was better to be a citizen of.

If this presidential race comes down to The Donald-versus-That Carpetbagging B|tch, I'll be the guy at the head of the line, begging amnesty as a refugee at the Canadian border.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:49   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I know of many US citizens who are the beneficial owner of foreign flagged yachts, registered under a corporate name.

No issues or problems as yachts and crew are treated as visiting guests.

I have kept one in Seattle for over 2 years while refit work was being done and yacht was at shipyard.
Paying a refundable bond was all that was required.

Things may have changed due to record numbers of high net worth US Citizens, renouncing their citizenships, but if the US policy is to turn away business and income from past citizens, that is very telling about their maturity.

Interesting Read:
http://www.thenation.com/article/dec...erican-empire/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 16:32   #13

It works the other way around too

Right today I met the crew of a Solaris 72 based in Sardinia
English owners
US Flag!!! (Delaware :-) )

They went back/forth to Montenegro for waiving the VAT
Old 28-11-2015, 03:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mickand.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat