Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2022, 08:04   #1

Sell the Wife: Off Grid/Beautiful Nature in a 7-day Starter Charter?

We are new to sailing (bought a Hobie 18 last summer and love it). Moving up to chartering a bigger boat involves a lot of logistics and expense. I need help selling my wife on it.

We really love getting off the grid (e.g. backpacking). Many of the 'first charter' locations (e.g. BVI) seem to have more of a busy party atmosphere (go to this or that bar, etc). I thought the USVI might be better, but the moorings suggested itinerary includes things like "Magen's Bay... [has]... lifeguards, concessions, and paddleboard rentals." and Charlotte Amalie is... "teeming with hundreds of stores."

Anyway, I am trying to sell my wife on the idea that all the logistical hurdles associated with getting into sailing might have a payoff, and the payoff we are looking for is natural beauty, being a little bit off-grid, and a sense of adventure. Is that possible in a 7 day charter appropriate for someone new? Any suggestions, books, websites, etc would be appreciated. I need a way to paint a picture that is compelling and specific.

I'd also consider doing a crewed charter, despite the expense, if that is a better way too 'see the potential' of sailing, but I still need to be able to show my wife "here is where we are going to go, and its going to be great".

Thanks so much!
ttcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:07   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Sell the Wife: Off Grid/Beautiful Nature in a 7-day Starter Charter?

I did three charters in the BVI ,admittedly 20 years ago , but while there absolutely are "party " places there are plenty of bays and anchorages where u can be alone or with a few boats.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Hi, ttcbj,

Going with a crewed charter may be your only option given your sailing experience. You would have to confirm with specific charter companies of interest. Regardless, a crewed charter would have the benefit of giving you and your wife much less to worry about, which could translate into a much more relaxing vacation.

The trip that sold my wife on sailing was a BVI charter through Sailing Collective. The itinerary was a nice balance of lounging and swimming in peaceful, tropical anchorages and experiencing some of the popular attractions ashore. Since I was interested more in the sailing that the attractions, the captain let me have a lot of time at the helm. This was the only crewed charter we did. Our next couple of charters were bareboat.

Sailing Collective operates charters in a lot of places. You could ask your wife to check out their options and see which locations are the most appealing. Their site, like most crewed charter sites I've seen, also gives many helpful tips for minimizing the hassles of the logistics.

Best Wishes!
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:16   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

BVI has enough beauty and adventure that you’ll enjoy it even if you have to be in a popular anchorage at night. You don’t have to go to the bars. There’s also great hiking. You wont run out of stuff to do.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:45   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

Well, for something "off grid" with "nature" there's always the PNW, the San Juans, Gulf Islands and inside passage. Orcas, fresh crab and salmon, used to have a friend ran charters out of Bellingham, unfortunately retired. A quick search turned up this couple doing the same on a NEW Jeanneau 55' that seems about right to present a positive experience for her.
https://sailthesanjuans.com/
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:52   #6

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

+1 what Tetepare said. I just came back from my second charter in the BVI, and you can find remote spots: back side of Peter Island, north side of Norman (not the Bight), the bay on Jost van Dyke where Sydney's Peace and Love is, Anegada for lobster, the Baths if you get there early, Monkey Point at Guana Cay, snorkle the caves at Norman, have a nice lunch at Cooper, etc. You can hike the trail on Norman, and you can take a taxi to Sage Mountain and hike the "rainforest". Plus it's protected waters, so if your wife is prone to seasickness it's less of a concern.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:52   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27'

If you need to stay in the states, depending on season, what about the Peuget sound? Beautiful. lots of Islands and nature. Out of the US, Turkey comes to mind for about 1/3 the price of Peuget sound.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:58   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Is it legal to sell your wife?

If so, would a potential buyer get her surveyed?

Happy New Year!!!!
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:03   #9

morning all
completely off topic but

Wish you all a happy new year

fair winds
blue skies
secure anchorages
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:07   #10

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23

I mistook your title as actually selling your wife! Happy that got straightened out! I'd recommend St. John in the US Virgins as a possibility for quiet anchorages and easy sailing. You can also include the BVI in the trip because they are so close (although plan for some checking in/out as you traverse between the US and BVI. I also think some of the cruising guides focus way too much on beach bars as "must do" experiences. I think they were trying to promote local businesses but ended up giving the wrong impression about the experience.
Finally, given covid, you should check to make sure you can get into other countries (including the BVI for ex.) that can be a real problem.
Really finally, I think you and your wife will really love the experience!
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:09   #11

Boat: Antares 44i

25 years ago I had the same idea - seduce my wife into sailing with a great charter. I did a week with Moorings in the BVIs with a captain, on a cat (thought I’d get her on a real sailboat later!)

Be careful what you wish for. We now sail 7 months a year in Med on our own cat (I’m the one who got seduced!).

My wife is only really happy on the water now and got me to retire from work that I loved so we could do this!

Think always about her comfort and fun - now and in all future sailing, and you’ll end up with the right answer for you 2.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:09   #12

Reading the title of this post I was really wondering how much you could get for her?
There is at least one cat charter in the out islands of the Bahamas that would afford you all the diving (Snorkling) that you could ask for. David Calvert out of Cat Island could get you on the reefs around Conception- definitely not for those seeking a party scene. It is a package that you could market to the wife with all sincerity-it would be a trip to remember. Don’t know if D Calvert would be your host/skipper-if so you’d have access to one of the most knowledgable brains in the sailboat world. No doubt there are other folks with real nice boats that do crewed charters in remote areas. Won’t be cheap, but it’ll be memorable.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:13   #13

If you prefer to stay somewhat off the grid, I would suggest staying completely away from the BVI's. There are boats everywhere and I do mean, everywhere! There's plenty of good sailing around the islands in the Caribbean that will, for the most part, make for an excellent experience with quaint towns and friendly locals.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:15   #14

Boat: tartan 3400

Take a ‘learn to cruise’ sail charter in SW Florida, preferably in the size boat you want. Cruising the west coast of Florida (Sarasota, charlotte harbor) or keys. Y’all can get an ASA certification along with experience. Or, charter with others (South Coast Sailing in Kemah is an easy flight and offers boat and breakfast). Doing the same in islands. Start with easy conditions and with others excited about sailing.
t-3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:52   #15

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
........ while there absolutely are "party " places there are plenty of bays and anchorages where u can be alone or with a few boats.
Exactly right. Many beautiful anchorages in the BVI.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter