Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 12:01   #1
dar

Sailing in the Grenadines

Iplan to sail during March 2015 9 days starting in Saint Lucia to Granada'
Appreciate to receive recommendations on the follwing topics:
1. Which islands worth visiting and what luther ?
2. Which is the significance on those islands recommended visit ?
3.Additional tips as possible

Thanks retrospectively

Ami
dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 06:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: Sailing in the Grenadines

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ami.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:18   #3

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Sailing in the Grenadines

Recommend Bequia for checking in/out of the Grenadines. Don't miss the Tobago Cays, & Mustique if you have the time.
jmadenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:14   #4

Recommend Mayreau, Palm, and PSV for stops. There was also a great dinner experience at The Turtle Dove on Canouan.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:21   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadenwald View Post
Recommend Bequia for checking in/out of the Grenadines. Don't miss the Tobago Cays, & Mustique if you have the time.

Don't miss the Frangipani Beach Bar on Bequi in Friendship Bay and Basil's Bar on Mustique.

Don't forget to take your snorkeling/scuba gear to Tobago Cays.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:47   #6

Boat: Leopard 46

I just returned from St. Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines Monday ... I love that my land legs aren't quite back yet.

I agree with all of the above suggestions and would include Union Island (Chatham Bay ... have BBQ with Shark Attack).

One thing to consider about Mustique is that they are tightening the screws on cruisers and what you can do on island. You can pay to take a taxi ride but you can't hang out at the nice beaches. We skipped it this trip and didn't miss it at all.

In Canouan look for John who runs half of the mooring balls (his have orange on them I think). He provides exceptional service and has a water raft he can bring out to top off your fresh water.

I cleared in at Canouan (night sailed down from St. Lucia) and cleared out of St. Vincent at Wallilabou on the way back to St. Lucia. Are you doing a one way (south) or do you have to get back to St. Lucia? If you have to get back north be prepared for a bouncy sail between the islands with the wind on the nose.

We also enjoy Young's Cut on the mainland (St. V) and our kids love climbing the islet Fort Duvernette.

You can't really go wrong. On the mainland (St. V and St. Lucia) make sure you stash your valuables (electronics, passports, cash) or keep them with you and lock up tight. Theft is on the rise particularly Soufriere, St. Lucia. If you are smart about it no problems.

Fair winds and have a great time.

Rustin Parsons
LifeJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 16:51   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

We're going to be in the Grenadines soon too. Are mosquitos the biggest threat, or is crime a real concern in the anchorages? Last year I believe there were real safety concerns but I haven't heard much this year. Lifejacket, is it mostly petty theft, or violent crime? Are there any other comments on the current situation?
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 12:51   #8

Boat: Leopard 46

I think that petty crime is the thing to be concerned about. I know there was a violent incident off of Union Island last year but I have not heard of other violent acts and the Union Island populace quickly captured the violent antagonist.

I typically see the "good" in people and try not to live in fear and I think that attitude plus dropping 20EC with a boat boy or two goes a long way from deterring petty theft. When cruising in your yacht, remember that the average monthly income is 800EC in St. Lucia and that a lot of the people you will encounter are taking home much less. We always converse with the boat boys and if they can provide a service (even if it is one we can do ourselves like taking trash etc) we negotiate with them and give them some EC. Once you have your services "contracted" if another boat boy approaches you just have to tell them you are working with ____ (fill in the name) and they respect that.

You also have to be smart. Lock up the boat when you leave. Lock the Dinghy (and full tank) when ashore. Don't leave valuables on deck at night. etc.

As for the mosquitos... we always have a can of bug spray with us but rarely have issues with mosquitos. The little "no-see-ums" on the beach in the evening are another thing and they think my ankles are an all you can eat buffet. I haven't heard of chikungunya hitting any cruisers in St. Lucia or St. Vincent and the Grenadines but in the towns there is plenty of standing water so bug spray is always a good idea.

It is a beautiful place with wonderful, loving people ... all "hustling" to provide for their families.

Have fun and fair winds!
LifeJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 17:18   #9

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

A little bump in this thread. It seems that since the last post at the beginning of 2015, this year has been particularly bad for petty theft in SVG. This article in the Caribbean Safety and Security Net is alarming, particularly because of the apparent indifference by the various officials.

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com...il-to-respond/

This has me a bit concerned as I'm going there next week on a bareboat charter. But, at least I'll be going with eyes wide open. In addition to the obvious, locking the boat, not keeping valuables laying around, etc, I am bringing a variety of small motion sensor alarms to put out at night so if someone boards the boat, or starts messing with the dinghy I will hear it. Also, I don't think I'll stop at Canouan. Other than that, I plan to thoroughly enjoy myself using a little common sense and a few MacGyver-esque tricks. I'll provide a report when I return.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 06:01   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

There are so many better spots to visit in the Grenadines, you won't be missing anything by skipping Canouan.

Tags
sail, sailing