Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2008, 15:14   #1

Boat: PEARSON 422
Put Yankeetown on the map...

The wife and i did a scouting mission last week to Yankeetown, Florida. When we go on scouting missions we trailer our small Sea Ray to a spot we would like to bring our sailboat but the area is either uncharted or lacks current depth information. We pilot the motor boat thru all the channels, marinas, and anchorages we would use in the sailboat and check their depth....

We navigated the Withlacoochee River from its entrance marker (red #2; fl/4sec; 2858317/08249230) to the US highway 19 bridge in Inglis (2901519/08240140) and found only one shallow spot near marker #34 (2860920/08246480) where the depth was around 6ft at high tide, here it is best to "hug the reds". We found depth of at least 10ft for most of the river and its entrance, usually 12 - 15 ft. There is a 40ft Cheoy Lee anchored as far upriver as a sailboat can go, next to the US19 bridge in Inglis, the skipper said he draws 6ft and has a mast height of 50ft.

Yankeetown, Crackertown, and Inglis are the three town nestled along the Withlacoochee River and we absolutely love the area. We plan on moving there eventually and retiring there. It is laid back old-timey Florida with spanish moss hanging from massive live oaks over the river, swimming holes for the kids, and a distinct lack of developement. we hope it stays that way until we are ready to make the move but it probably will not.

There are some underlying issues in Yankeetown right now that will have a significant impact on its future. There is a mining company who is trying to buy phosphate mining right in the area and wants to dump their wast into the Withlacoochee River. Of course the locals are fighting it and I don't blame them. Also, a real estate developement company bought two of the three marinas in Yankeetown and wants to level them and build a big condo/marina. Again the locals are not happy. On their websites the marinas claim they will stay open until closed for demolition/remodeling but we found only one marina open for business that day. The Yankeetown Marina (Welcome To the Yankeetown Marina 352-447-5959) sells gas and diesel and has a full service bait store with ice and drinks.

The yankeetown Marina also has a boat ramp for a small fee($5) but it is very steep and looks a little tricky.We used the boat ramp at the park at the end of highway 40. It is a little more user friendly and is free. From US19 in Inglis turn west on state highway 40 and follow it until it ends. If you end up in the ocean...you found the boat ramp but went to far.
Old 19-02-2009, 18:43   #2

Would like to contact Salty Dog

I have viewed some of your photos and there is one I would like to use in my business. I would like to discuss permissions. thanks......D.R.
captain_dan is offline   Reply With Quote