Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00   #16

Boat: Allmand 35 Pilot House s/v Melipal
I update the info, name Melipal, saludos Marco
avinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:31   #17

Boat: S2 11.0A
Bill,
We are S/V Wind Dancer. A S2 36 sloop.
New question.
Does anyone know of a good place in Belize to meet guests who will be staying in a hotel? Placencia seems like the best choice but I am looking for other options.
Dave
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48   #18

Boat: Allmand 35 Pilot House s/v Melipal
San Pedro, Cay Cauker and Placencia are the bigger places with hotels, and then there are many cays with one or a few hotels where you can stay.
saludos Marco
avinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinsa View Post
San Pedro, Cay Cauker and Placencia are the bigger places with hotels, and then there are many cays with one or a few hotels where you can stay.
saludos Marco
Ditto the above. 3 best, easiest to get to places. With San Pedro being the easiest for THEM. Cay Caulker is probably the best place to stay, however.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42   #20

I thought of another question.
We sail with our dog which brings us much joy but sometimes limits our shoreside excursions. When we visit Mayan sites are dogs allowed in the parks. We always keep her on leash and pick up after her of course.
When we were in the Bahamas and the natives saw us picking up dog poop they looked at us like we had three heads but we did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-08-2009, 11:51   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
If a vistor from differet planet came down and saw you following the dog behind the leash and cleaning up its poop he may wonder who is the master here?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 14:30   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Dave View Post
I thought of another question.
We sail with our dog which brings us much joy but sometimes limits our shoreside excursions. When we visit Mayan sites are dogs allowed in the parks. We always keep her on leash and pick up after her of course.
When we were in the Bahamas and the natives saw us picking up dog poop they looked at us like we had three heads but we did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.
Thanks,
Dave
noonsite has that info--i think also in the cruising with pets part of this forum also
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 16:18   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Problems in Mexico and Honduras ?

I lived in Mexico during the 70's and I can fairly state that Americans/Europeans could travel anywhere at that time, using common sense, without fear of personal violence. Today, it is not just the border areas that are susceptible to violence, but everywhere. Mexican friends who still live there have dramatically altered their lives whether they live in large cities or rural areas. And, since Mexico is very poor and some believe on the verge of collapse, it is not just the drug dealers who are commiting violent acts, but anyone who sees material gain with little or no risk. Many seemingly innocuous small towns have residents that commited violent crimes in the U.S and have returned home to flee the law. The potential for violence is everywhere and largely unpredictable. Disappearing in Mexico is forever. I am not an alarmist and loved the time I lived in Mexico ,but Mexico and Central America have changed for the worse and is not always the rosy pictures portrayed in these blogs. I suggest going to a great website: Travel.State.Gov. which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State that will give you a more balanced picture. Good luck and good sailing . . .Ron
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 16:40   #24
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I have a friend that left Port Aransas about 1 1/2 weeks ago, going to Belize. He sailed direct to Progreso. He just left there yesterday. His Spot tracker showed him following the coastline, most likely motoring as the wind is on his nose. Unfortunately, no Spot update today (unlike him to miss sending an update). Hope he is ok.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 07:21   #25

Wow,
I forgot I started this thread, I'm surprised it's still going. We had no problems anywhere except for our dingy engine being stolen in the Turneffe Islands, Belize. We left Mexico in May to cross back to Texas and it seems the violence has gotten worse since then. Here is the blog of our trip if anyone is interested, 2008 - 2009 cruise. We're going somewhere next winter but we don't know where, any suggestions?
Old 25-02-2011, 20:15   #26
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I am not an alarmist and loved the time I lived in Mexico ,but Mexico and Central America have changed for the worse and is not always the rosy pictures portrayed in these blogs. I suggest going to a great website: Travel.State.Gov. which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State that will give you a more balanced picture. Good luck and good sailing . . .Ron
You may well be right, but Mexico still seems pretty cruiser-friendly. I just got an email from my friend today. He just made port in Isla Mujeres.

David & Ralph,
Hope you guys don't mind me combining you both on this email. Got into Isla Mujeres about 2pm today as you saw in the spot msg. Charlie was sick before we left, Laura caught it the day we left, and I came down with the funk 2 days later. We pretty much had a beat to wind all the to the Yucatan, and yes a little current on the nose. W were planning on turning the corner to come here, but the leach line on the genoa caught on the spreader and tore the stitching on on the seam. So the beat to windward, sick crew (hear tired), the sail, and just one hundred miles north of Progreso, easy choice. A great seaside town, wonderful people, got the sail sewed, enjoyed a few days of rest, and off to Isla Mujeres. It was a slog around to here also. Unfurled the headsail for a half hour the first day out, but after that it was the Iron Genny all the way. Found some neat little spots to drop the hook for the night, so not to bad. But we made it here, not bad for a country boy and two farmers . Well, weathers beautiful, need to freshen up and have some supper. Will share more later...thanks for following us, and thanks David for keeping everyone up to speed.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras, Mexico