Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 21:25   #1

Boat: bristol,29-Salty
Send a message via Skype™ to iscurt
portsmouth NH to barnegat NJ last week in may

anyone have any favorite places or insight as to the trip which will include the cape cod canal and the long island sound route .... trying to make it in a week, so the stops we make we would like to enjoy (i.e..things to see nice places to anchor )also is there anyone familiar with the barnegat inlet??
iscurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:34   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I have anchored inside Barnegat, be careful on the way in, follow the markers closely. There is a nice anchorage further in close to shore.

Just past the Thames River at East end of the LIS is a place called Bluff Point, very nice and you can get real close to the beach. We have had many a campfire on that beach. Very quiet.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:02   #3

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Great Trip, I'll be going the opposite direction this summer.

Possible stops: Provincetown, Cuttyhunk, Block Island. On the L.I. Sound...Old Saybrook or Essex on the Connecticut River, Then cross over to Port Jefferson ( moorings) fun town! Manhasset Bay for refueling and waiting for the current through the east river ( no diesel on City Island).

Atlantic Highlands in NJ. (Anchor or moor.) Barnegat can be a tricky inlet, try to hit slack at high tide, follow some deeper draft locals in. You could also duck in at Manasquan inlet and take the point pleasant canal into Barnegat Bay. This route requires some good piloting as the bay is pretty shallow and there are several bridges to contend with, Shark River inlet is a dead end. So once you round Sandy Hook, your choices are Manasquan or Barnegat, Keep your fishing line in the water, you might catch dinner. Have a great Trip! Bring your cruising guide.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:41   #4

Boat: bristol,29-Salty
Send a message via Skype™ to iscurt
thanks mike thanks tempest ,
thats what im talking about the collective resources of all you sailors is genius. each response adds to the sum of parts .please keep em coming even if they are small things that made your past trips enjoyable i would like to know about them.
iscurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:12   #5

Boat: Tayana FD-12
OMG barnegat

That place brings some scary memories!
Tried tucking in for the night there in a northerly gale and ran aground at about 3AM. Luckully, it was after I have already entered the inlet, and trying to get to that "nice" anchorage.
The fuel dock owner was not very nice to sailboat owners and cruisers. Wouldn't let me fuel up at first. Perhaps cause it was still blowing very hard the next morning. But then he showed a softer side and I managed to get some gas.
After filling up I noticed I had a gas leak at the top of my fuel tank. I told him I had a gas leak, but as I was trying to fix it, he was yelling at me to start the engine and get off the dock! I guess he didn't quite get the meaning of a GAS LEAK.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:06   #6

Boat: Bristol 30
If you need to time the tides for Hell Gate, there are some anchorages in the first few harbors east of the Throggs Neck on the Long Island side. Manhassett, Little Neck, or Hempstead all have decent areas to anchor.
Manhassett may be the best bet being a combination of protected and close enough to the East River.
South of the yacht clubs mooring fields, there is a place called Leeds Pond Preserve. You can anchor off there and be ready to go when the tides are in your favor.
You can anchor or grab a mooring off City Island also, but you are much less protected.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 17:11   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
iscurt,

Also....when you reach the end of the East River, bear left and duck behind governors island through buttermilk channel to get into the hudson river, you'll find less traffic there. Keep to the right in buttermilk channel and then stay left in the hudson, NY, side as you head for the Verrazano bridge, you should miss most of the ferry traffic this way. Try to time your passage through hells gate at slack and then carry the ebb tide out the Hudson to Sandy Hook if you cross over watch the shipping and get clear of the deep water channel asap. Timing the East River is critical as I'm sure you've read. The capri marina in Manhasset bay is a pretty easy in and out if you need to re-fuel and wait for a fair tide.
I'll usually stand off the NJ coast about 2 to 3 miles in about 60 ft of water. On a clear day, you'll see all the sea buoys, Shrewbury rocks, Shark River, Manasquan and then Barnaget. I would not! attempt to enter barnaget at night, if you've never been there. So try to time your arrival in daylight at high water slack.

What are your plans once you get to Barnegat? If you cross the Barnagat bay and proceed up the Forked River, there are several good marinas, and the Captains Inn.
The Captains Inn has nice slips for rent that come with a key to the showers.

I sailed a Bristol 29 on Barnegat Bay for several years, Loved that boat!