Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 07:44   #1

Boat: Beneteau Farr 50
Panama to Providencia, Belize, Cancun

Hi all,

This weekend we leave for Providencia, then Belize, and up to Isla Mujeres/Cancun to summer over.

We have a few guides but would ask if you all if you have any other suggestions for this time of year, routes and where to stay/marina in Belize so we can explore Mayan ruins and any other tips for departing for Mexico from Belize?

Thank you,
Jack and Sylvia
sv/Belle
Beneteau 50
JackMcD111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 07:55   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Panama to Providencia, Belize, Cancun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcD111 View Post
Hi all,

This weekend we leave for Providencia, then Belize, and up to Isla Mujeres/Cancun to summer over.

We have a few guides but would ask if you all if you have any other suggestions for this time of year, routes and where to stay/marina in Belize so we can explore Mayan ruins and any other tips for departing for Mexico from Belize?

Thank you,
Jack and Sylvia
sv/Belle
Beneteau 50
Are you not worried about the route from Providencia to Belize? You are aware of the recent pirate attacks there?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 10:50   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

+1, the Nica Banks are a security concern. A few issues almost every year (see CSSN interactive maps). Only a small number of boats are affected each year, but some of the attacks have been nasty.

Ironically, somewhat ill informed friends of mine just spent a week in Vivarillos without issue. I would not be comfortable with that these days. Shame, the Nica Banks are a beautiful unspoiled area.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 13:13   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
+1, the Nica Banks are a security concern. A few issues almost every year (see CSSN interactive maps). Only a small number of boats are affected each year, but some of the attacks have been nasty.

Ironically, somewhat ill informed friends of mine just spent a week in Vivarillos without issue. I would not be comfortable with that these days. Shame, the Nica Banks are a beautiful unspoiled area.
They just attacked a boat and boarded it with 20-25 persons in 4 pirogues.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 08:43   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

There is a relatively new marina just north of Placencia, Belize. It is in Sapadillo Lagoon, part of a real estate development there called The Reserve. They reportedly have about 55 slips with power poles, water and electricity. Getting from there to somewhere else may be an issue, as its a distance off the highway and about a 30 min drive back to Placencia (with rental cars and an airport). They do, however, have a bar and restaurant, showers, laundry, etc. There is also another smaller marina farther up the coast, before you get to Belize City, and last time I was there there are also a few docks at Placencia, Belize, mostly for a small rental/charter fleet. And of course there's Rio Dulce, with several marinas and mx capabilities.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:02   #6

I would do some advance checking if you plan on using "The Reserve"
The development has been shut down by the US government for fraud.
I use Thunderbird Marina in Placencia.
Lake Pleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:52   #7

It’s not a big deal making this trip, don’t get your fear levels up, simply use common sense. Friends of ours were boarded off of the Honduras coast after getting advise from us to avoid it. So simply stay well off shore when making that short passage, we stayed 50 miles off and sure didn’t expect pangas out there. We also passed the area at night which adds another element of common sense. Many people make that passage safely every year. Just take some basic precautions and you won’t have any problems. I would not stay in the marina in Belize and I probably wouldn’t summer in Mexico. I’d spend whatever time I wanted to visit Belize and then I’d summer in Rio Duluce. The marinas are safe from hurricanes and less than half the price of other choices. For what it’s worth I’d also spend less time in Belize and way more time in the Bay Islands. Some of the best diving in the whole Caribbean.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 11:40   #8

As of last report the marina at "The Reserve" was still open and somehow not affected by the recent FTC shutdown of the property. As Sailorcrazy said though its tough to get anywhere inland from there however. Placencia (where we live) has plenty of mooring space on the hook available to the west of Placencia Caye giving good protection to our typical winds. You can move into the lagoon depending on draft if the winds start coming from the south. Water and dingy dock at Yoli's. Opportunities to do inland tours from there. You may want to look at waypoints for your draft thru the lagoon and check out Roberts Grove as well for a marina in the area.
ryanandtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:14   #9

Try:
Cucumber Beach Marina Ltd
5.5 miles George Price Highway
Belize City, Belize.C.A.
P.O.Box # 2701
Phone # (501)222-4153
Cell #(501) 615-2268

Sometimes marina is full and draft requirements should be reviewed with marina.
I live on a boat there part of the time and access to most of Belize, Guatemala and Mexico is available.
Redconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:19   #10

Boat: Vancouver 27

I would assume Cucumber Beach outside Belize City would work if your goal is to do some extended inland exploration. No personal experience however.

El Cid and Puerto Adventuras marinas in MX are good cheap options.

Otherwise, from the Rio, it's quite easy to catch buses going most anywhere. Cheap, safe and comfortable.

We hauled our boat out for last season at Puerto Isla Mujeres and had to watch Michael pretty intently.. feeling a bit better about our chances this year in the Rio.YMMV
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:28   #11

Pardon my ignorance, what is the Rio ?
Is it Rio Dulce in Guatemala ?
Redconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:52   #12

Boat: Vancouver 27

Yessir, Rio Dulce
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 14:46   #13

Boat: Taswell 43

Lake Pleasant....Not True! Yes, the developers are under Receivership as the FTC investigates reported illegal marketing tactics. Actual new development construction is presently halted. But several families live there, several homes are under active construction, the bar and restaurant are open, and the marina is open. Can't say for sure, but I've been told the rate is $7/ft/mo....that's cheap! And there's always dropping the pick in the lagoon.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 19:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
They just attacked a boat and boarded it with 20-25 persons in 4 pirogues.
Yes, I read about that one.
Old 24-04-2019, 19:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
It’s not a big deal making this trip, don’t get your fear levels up, simply use common sense. Friends of ours were boarded off of the Honduras coast after getting advise from us to avoid it. So simply stay well off shore when making that short passage, we stayed 50 miles off and sure didn’t expect pangas out there. We also passed the area at night which adds another element of common sense. Many people make that passage safely every year. Just take some basic precautions and you won’t have any problems. ...
Some the reported events off the Gorda Banks (Nicaraguan Banks) have occurred up to 100 miles off the coast.

The events off the Honduran coast, mostly near Punta Sal, have happend much closer in.

The most recent event was in quite close to the mainland off the Gorda Banks. That close in near such a dicey area would not be my choice.

A common strategy used to be to run quite close to the mainland to avoid the unfavorable Trade Winds when heading East, but not a good idea any more. Many years ago, Ive run very close in along the N Honduran coast with a light favorable breeze when the contrary Trades were blasting further offshore.

Tags
Belize, cancun, enc, Panama