Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 10:19   #1

Looking for Florida Haulout suggestion

Hi everyone,

We are currently in the Savannah Georgia inlet. We are headed south but weather has us held up for a few days. We will be flying back to California for the Christmas holidays and would like to put the boat on the hard for 2-4 weeks somewhere in Fl before we return back to her. We have a 64 ft mast and draw 6'6". We are new with the boat and haven't challenged any of the 65 ft bridges.

Any good suggestions?

We are from the west coast and still learning the eastern seaboard. We may have some work done while we are gone or come back and do some of the work ourselves.

Thanks
Hylas 49 Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:23   #2

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Looking for Florida Haulout suggestion

Green Cove Springs on the St John's River is wicked cheap and easy. There are some draw bridges but you should be able to get under them. And also, what's the one on the St. Mary's guys?
Old 18-11-2015, 10:33   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Two marinas I've used that may work well, near port Canaveral are the Canaveral Marina and Harbourtown Marina. (Merritt Island) The Canaveral Marina is right in the port. From the port, the Harbourtown Marina is just jaunt inland, with one set of locks, but no bridges. The Canaveral marina has a fairly good marine store and you can probably take advantage of the cruise ship shuttle service stop to get to and from the Orlando Airport. They allow both DIY, and have the staff to take care of many issues.

I kept my boat in the water for a a few months in my absence at Harbourtown. Both have both hard and wet storage.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:33   #4

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC

If you make it as far as Port Canveral then Cape Marina is a great place to haul. Do it yourself if you want, ship store with most things you'll need, and good people.

-Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 16:09   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

What kind of work are you getting done? Are you going to do it yourself or have the yard do it for you? Do you intend on staying on the boat when its on the hard?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 16:26   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Do you intend on staying on the boat when its on the hard?
If you don't stay on the boat in Green Cove you will probably need a rental car to go somewhere you would want to stay. Watch your draft between those old Navy docks, they are silted in. There are nicer places to go but you can't beat the price.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 16:41   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Your best bet is Tiger Point in Fernandina Beach, no bridges, good inlet (St. Mary's River) and very nice folks. They have a nice big Travelift too. Fly out of Jax, a 40 minute drive or limo service from Fernandina. And you can do your own work too.
Home | Tiger Point Marina | Deep Water Wet Slips | Long Term Boat Storage | Fernandina Beach | Amelia Island, Florida
Old 18-11-2015, 19:22   #8

We have 2 jobs in mind, the first is something I can do....we put a new Mantus anchor on and need to drill the bow roller assembly and anchor shank for the retaining pin to hold the anchor in place as we travel. The new anchor shank hole does not match the holes on the bow roller assembly.

The second job is for a yard or contract stainless fabricator. I want to remove the aft life lines (port and starboard) and replace them with stainless tubing up to the side boarding
Stantions

Not sure that I need to haul the boat but it is a consideration.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Hylas 49 Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 08:36   #9

Boat: Downeaster 38

I've been in Murrelle Marine in Lantana Florida for years. They have a weld shop that does all my fabrication as well as Yanmar service, etc. One of the last DIY places on the South East coast if you get that far south (just south of West Palm Beach). "Gateway to the tropics" and 59 miles from West End Bahamas.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:08   #10

Watch out for your masthead antena on that 64ft mast.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:37   #11

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

We've had very good experiences with yards in Marathon, Florida's west coast and panhandle if you are headed to the Keys of Gulf. And some not so good!
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:45   #12

Boat: Hartog 40

The yard in St Marys is the St Marys Boat Service on the North River (off the St Marys River). We are headed for there but held up by junk off shore. Rocky's cell is 904 219-2869. We draw 2 meters and get up there OK but you need to pay attention. Rocky an help with that. If you get to the anchorage in St Marys you can go to the awesome Thanksgiving Dinner that the town puts on for the cruisers at the hotel which is a SSCA station. After the weeklong doings you can go to the yard. Priorities ya know
Lynn Odendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:47   #13

Boat: Hartog 40

Oh I forgot. Rocky is a fine welder. This boat is steel and we depend on him
Lynn Odendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 10:08   #14

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Green Cove Springs: We're currently hauled out there and whilst basic, the service is good and the price unbeatable BUT when we came through and hauled-out in early September they were working on the bridge over the St John's River just to the north of it - sorry I can't remember its name. Clearance height was reduced to only 60', so enquire/check locally before heading up river, as unless that work's finished, you won't get there with a 64' mast.

Edit: I've checked with the wife, she reckons the bridge is called either the Bruckman or Buckman Bridge and is normally 65'. Also I note that you say you're 'new' to you boat, so are you're certain that you're 64' high? Have you actually measured that or just be told it is? If that 64' doesn't include any antennas or similar on top of it, halfway through a bridge is a really bad moment to discover the error; make the effort to climb the mast and check for yourself.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 10:22   #15

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I highly reccomend Riverside in Fort Pierce! Why? 1. Reasonable and the ladies who run it are fair and personable. 2. If you want to work yourself, this is the place. 3. Very close to one of the best inlets in FL. 4. No bridges and good depth. Of course the drawback might be how far South in FL. it is. About even with the top of lake Okeechobee.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida