Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 12:41   #1

Leaving boat in Abaco's

Greeting all,
Long time reader, first time poster,

After years of sailing others' boats to and from the Abaco's and Virgin Islands, I have plans to have a small boat shipped from Florida to the Abaco's. The boat will be a small trailer sailer.. Montgomery 17 or Cape Dory Typhoon, Sanderling, or Norseboat something in the 17-20 foot range.

Once there, I plan to leave it on the hard in Marsh Harbour or Man-O-War year-round, indefinitely, for my use 3 or 4 times a year for a week or two each time. I've done a lot of small boat cruising, and my issue and questions are mostly in the legal field. Should I register it in the Bahamas? Or in the states? Do I need to get a new cruising permit every time I go use the boat? So, any info on customs stuff would be appreciated. And info on storage would be helpful. I know of one place in Marsh Harbour, but I'm hoping to keep it at Edwin's in Man-O-War, but open to other ideas in that central Abaco area if you know of any. And of course, boat suggestions would be nice too. I'm looking for small and simple, and I'll probably go with a typhoon or Monty 17 with small outboard motor, use a kayak as a dink, and do some real minimalist cruising.
**Also, I'm seeking a partner in this venture to split cost and ownership. If interested let me know. For inspiration check out this awesome sail mag article: Bahamas Sloop Winds | Sail Magazine

THANKS ALL,
SV MURIEL
SV Muriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 04:59   #2

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
Re: Leaving boat in Abaco's

Edwin's should easily be able to launch and store your boat, they require 2 weeks notice for launching.

If you do not import the boat you will need to get a cruising permit every year with a max of 3 years. For that size boat the permit will be $150 for the first year and $500 each for the second and third years. After that you will be required to take the boat out of the Bahamas and then clear back in starting your 3 years over again.

If you choose to import your boat, customs will charge 10% of the value. They may not accept your purchase price and value the boat themselves. Once imported the boat can stay indefinitely.
Old 15-06-2014, 14:29   #3

Re: Leaving boat in Abaco's

Thanks Barry
SV Muriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco