Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2022, 05:05   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Crossing from fl to bimini tomorrow after NE winds

Considering crossing from MIA to Bimini tomorrow on 38' cat. Hoping for some advice from those who have made lots of these crossings.

Winds were from N yesterday. Today from NE at 10-15. Going to go from FLL to MIA today.

Winds supposed to be NE 10-15 tomrw. I am wondering from those who have crossed when the winds have had a N component what the seas in the stream will be like.

When I look out on the ocean from my apt when we have 20kt+ NE/E I can see the 'elephant' humps but I have no idea if 10-15 produce really bad seas...

Thanks
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 05:20   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: Crossing from fl to bimini tomorrow after NE winds

Generally speaking you don't want to cross with any northen component to the wind. Especially when it has been north the days before and is now NE.

Not saying you can't go, just might not be so pleasant. I would wait. Looking at the forecast winds are out of the E for the next couple of days. Then clocking around more from the S. Gives the stream time to settle down from the north winds and gives you a wind direction you can sail in.

Good luck on you passage. Enjoy.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 05:35   #3

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks. Any chance you could qualify/quantify unpleasant? Slamming? 3' at 4s vs 5' at 8s is huge diff. It is the period that is the killer to me.

The NE to me means sailing as the course is SE.
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 05:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Wind against current generally results in square waves, both, higher [amplitude], and steeper [period/frequency] waves.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 06:14   #5

Boat: Boatless

Stick your nose out and if you don’t like it turn back.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 06:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Any chance you could qualify/quantify unpleasant? Slamming? 3' at 4s vs 5' at 8s is huge diff. It is the period that is the killer to me.
I watched a funny video the other day on Bio-Trek's voyage up the coast about this time last year. They have an Outremere 50-something, so a little more comfortable sea boat than your Lagoon 38. They went out from Ft. Lauderdale north riding the Stream to gain speed, and after being bounced for a day, bailed out in South Carolina, I believe. Anyhow, they left the day after a northerly wind, and were surprised that the waves had not settled down in the day. They obviously did not ask along the dock!

Your 5-foot at 8 seconds is optimistic - try reversing those! If you had to go, then you would survive - the boat can take much more than you can. Do you really want to bounce on square waves for four or six hours with everyone chucking up over the side? Give it a day after there is no northerly component in the winds.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 17:56   #7

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I don't think it's even worth running out there to see. After a northerly you need at least 2 days of easterlies or southeasterlies to lay it back down. Northeasterly winds are not going to do anything to help although they do help with the wind vector.

The time to start that trip is when the winds just start to clock to the south, then even if you haven't made it across before the northerly hits it will take some hours before the stream backs up.

In short, I think you missed this window...
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 12:45   #8

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Personally, I'd wait. I would not cross in those conditions. I got caught once in 15kt NE winds in the GS, and learned I didn't want to do that again. By the way, if the forecast is 10-15, you're likely to see 20-25.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 12:49   #9

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Wait until Friday for a much better forecast. We are.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 13:58   #10

Boat: Four Winns V435

I've crossed with winds out of the north VERY ROUGH won't do it again PERIOD. NE winds better but I wouldn't do it - wait for favorable conditions you'll be happy you did.
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 15:27   #11

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

I did it in my 40' Maine Cat - left from Lake Worth Inlet on Sunday 3/27 at 14:00hrs and arrived in Nassau on Monday 3/28 at 21:00hrs. It was bumpy but not that bad and I was ready for worse, by about 17:00hrs it had settled out. Could have left a couple hours earlier without much stress.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 15:28   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 31

There's a reason you see boats stack up on the south coast waiting to cross.

Wait. You'll be glad you did.
jen1722terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 19:36   #13

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Too bad you didn’t leave yesterday or today. Perfect for crossing. The North winds these past weeks leave a residual swell that takes days to dissipate, but is not unpleasant if 2-4’, 3-5’ less enjoyable (remember, these are averaged so there will always be some larger & smaller thrown into the mix.) Then add in the current wind conditions. Personally anything more than 10 gusting 15kn from N is no go for me & the admiral unless expected to rapidly drop during passage even though the boat could care less.
Another option for you to consider is to buy a Chris Parker subscription for your trip. Accurate & useful. Based on his recommendations, I suddenly changed plans and left FT Lauderdale for Bimini yesterday & then moved on to Great Harbour Cay today - the (previously discouraging) forecast changed Sunday pm. so gotta react!
Friday looking better for u. Enjoy your trip- life worth living is always on the edge of your comfort zone.
Old 29-03-2022, 19:49   #14

Boat: CL14 #1179

Friday evening, Saturday early morning looks like the next decent window.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 06:45   #15

You've gotten some truly GREAT advice in earlier comment.

To do more and understand it: lay it all out on your plotting paper or chart: the wind direction, Stream direction, your intended course.... then visualize being in a washing machine and how that'll go with the people and all the pots and pans and other things not very tied down !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, wind