Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 08:25   #1

Chesapeake: lf last minute itineraries w/ anchor + dinghy

Plans for a trip didn't really come together until last week. Thankfully, we were even able to charter a boat.

Unfortunately, since most marinas are booked for the weekend I'm looking for some nice spots, itineraries that offer a mix of seclusion and perhaps one "city day" at someplace like St. Michaels, etc... Either way, it looks like I'll be anchoring where ever we spend our evenings.

I've only been to St. Ms and Tilghman's island as far as Chesapeake waterside communities go, so I'd welcome suggestions for someplace else.

Mainly novice, all adult crew.

EG., I'm not exactly sure where to dinghy into at St Ms.
Old 28-08-2013, 08:32   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Chesapeake: lf last minute itineraries w/ anchor + dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtopper View Post

There used to be a free dinghy dock by the crab restaurant but I haven't been there for quite a few years.
Old 28-08-2013, 08:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Thanks. I'm jealous of your sig. ;-)
Old 28-08-2013, 09:34   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Gosh, kinda hard to narrow it down for you without a bit more information. Where are you picking up the boat and what is it? How long do you have it for? How much sailing do you want to do?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:36   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Plans for a trip didn't really come together until last week. Thankfully, we were even able to charter a boat.

Unfortunately, since most marinas are booked for the weekend I'm looking for some nice spots, itineraries that offer a mix of seclusion and perhaps one "city day" at someplace like St. Michaels, etc... Either way, it looks like I'll be anchoring where ever we spend our evenings.

I've only been to St. Ms and Tilghman's island as far as Chesapeake waterside communities go, so I'd welcome suggestions for someplace else.

Mainly novice, all adult crew.

Where does the charter start/end? How long?

Assuming you're starting within striking distance of St. Michaels... Annapolis, Rock Hall, Deale, Cambridge, Oxford, Galesville, Kent Narrows all destinations of one sort or another.

Anchorages everywhere: Wye and Wye East Rivers, Reed Creek and others off the Miles River, Mill Creek off the mouth of the Severn, Eagle Cove behind Gibson Island on the Magothy, the Rhode River...

Dinghy dock in St. M's between the Crab Claw Restaurant and the Patriot cruise boat dock. Another at the maritime museum (although that's a membership thing). A third is maybe at the junction of creek and park right next to Foxy's Grill (inward from St. Michaels Marina)... although I've never actually eyeballed that one. Part of the dock area just past St. Michaels Marina's fuel dock is city dock space, first come first served, for 2 hours I think, might be a limit on length. (And there's also a water taxi in St. M's.)

-Chris
Old 28-08-2013, 09:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

I really like anchoring in the Rhode river, though there isn't really much to do back there, and it is a longish dingy ride back around to the West river.

If you anchor back there be mindful of the shoal signs for the island (the one that is usually underwater).
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:43   #7

Sorry, we're heading out of Annapolis. How much sailing depends on wind I suppose. Seems like we'll have about 50/50 chance of wind that is worth while putting the sails up for.

Leaving Sat AM and coming back Mon PM.

I've found in the past to keep the underway time to under 5 hrs. In reality, that seems to mean planning for no more than 4hr trips. Perhaps +/- an hour.

One thing I'd love to be able to do that I haven't this summer is go swimming. The jellyfish / sea nettles were everywhere last time. I've seen the NOA nettle page and have been checking it every day just like the weather.

Generally, one day where we explore a new waterside community and one day with more nature is ideal. I'd be expecting to sail back pretty much most of the day on Monday.
Old 28-08-2013, 10:18   #8

Quote:
Sorry, we're heading out of Annapolis. How much sailing depends on wind I suppose. Seems like we'll have about 50/50 chance of wind that is worth while putting the sails up for.

Leaving Sat AM and coming back Mon PM.

I've found in the past to keep the underway time to under 5 hrs. In reality, that seems to mean planning for no more than 4hr trips. Perhaps +/- an hour.

One thing I'd love to be able to do that I haven't this summer is go swimming. The jellyfish / sea nettles were everywhere last time. I've seen the NOA nettle page and have been checking it every day just like the weather.

Generally, one day where we explore a new waterside community and one day with more nature is ideal. I'd be expecting to sail back pretty much most of the day on Monday.

Short trip.

OK, assuming you like St Michaels enough to go again... one night there, and one night at anchor on the Wye or Wye East River.

Several decent anchorages to chose from, depending on how much underway time. Check ActiveCaptain for anchorage locations, although there are several other places along both rivers that work fine.

Maybe south around Kent Island for outbound leg, north around for return (or vice versa). Distance is approx. the same, but the experiences will be different.

Or if you're looking for a different town... probably Deale or Rock Hall...

-Chris
Old 28-08-2013, 11:04   #9

Boat: Cal 2-27

If you go to Baltimore, you can anchor by the world trade center and they have a free city dinghy dock in front of the submarine.
Old 28-08-2013, 11:38   #10

Boat: Farrier F-44

Half way to Baltimore is Nabbs Creek which has been Jelly Fish free all summer. Hit Baltimore the second day for the sights.

Kurt
trashpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Short trip.

OK, assuming you like St Michaels enough to go again... one night there, and one night at anchor on the Wye or Wye East River.

Several decent anchorages to chose from, depending on how much underway time. Check ActiveCaptain for anchorage locations, although there are several other places along both rivers that work fine.

Maybe south around Kent Island for outbound leg, north around for return (or vice versa). Distance is approx. the same, but the experiences will be different.

Or if you're looking for a different town... probably Deale or Rock Hall...

-Chris
Personally, I'd rather not revisit St. Ms but it seems as though the ladies on board want to go. ;-(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be possible to:

Day 1: sail over to St Ms and stroll about on shore, then head over to the Wye for a secluded anchorage in the evening?

IIRC it's not far from the Wye to St. Ms.

The question then becomes where to go for Day #2. I was hoping to get farther south as it seems like there are fewer jellies (and generally cleaner water?) as you get down there.
Old 28-08-2013, 12:02   #12

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather not revisit St. Ms but it seems as though the ladies on board want to go. ;-(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be possible to:

Day 1: sail over to St Ms and stroll about on shore, then head over to the Wye for a secluded anchorage in the evening?

IIRC it's not far from the Wye to St. Ms.

The question then becomes where to go for Day #2. I was hoping to get farther south as it seems like there are fewer jellies (and generally cleaner water?) as you get down there.

Yes, assuming favorable winds, easy to sail to St. M's (about 25 NM from Annapolis, ~5 hours sailing?), spend some time, and then leave. Also depends on how much street time, and how long you want to travel before anchoring.

Leeds Creek, right across the Miles River from St. Michaels is nice, although not wilderness. Further up the Miles River is an option. Or back to the Wye options; Shaw Bay is closest, decent if weather is favorable. Other anchorages further up each River become more and more wilderness-like.

Theoretically, jellies are more dependent on salinity than compass direction, so "farther south" won't necessarily buy you much. Farther up-river might be a good option. I haven't checked sea nettle reports, but presumably further up the Miles River would be fresher water, and ditto the two Wye Rivers.

If you were to go north instead, a visit to Rock Hall (and anchor in Swan Creek) and then further north to Still Pond might get you jelly-less.

-Chris
Old 28-08-2013, 12:20   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I agree that Rock Hall via Swan Creek then on to Worton Creek or Still Pond would be a good itinerary (although I bet Swan will be packed). I was in Swan last weekend and didn't see any nettles. Still Pond and Worton are usually nettle-free due to being so far north.

Another option though it's a longer haul is Oxford and then anchoring somewhere in the Choptank on the second night.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:33   #14

Yes, and I suspect Oxford is actually approx. the same distance from Annapolis as St. Michaels. I calculated my route to Cambridge yesterday (~35NM) and Oxford is perhaps 10 NM closer? St. M's is about 25 NM.

It's not actually impossible to visit both Oxford and St. M's on the same trip. Through Knapp's Narrows, then up to San Domingo Creek, essentially anchoring on the "back side" of St. M's. There's a dinghy dock near a small park, with some workboats there too. Oxford either before or after.

-Chris
Old 30-08-2013, 08:20   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

I would certainly stay south of the Bay Bridge if you want better wind. That's why Baltimore sailors keep their boats in Annapolis That said, I think the Chester River provides some of the best cruising and gunkholing on the Bay. The entire peninsula that forms the first big curve of the river is national wildlife preserve and you can anchor in coves along its shoreline in relative seclusion without a manmade object in sight.

If you visit St. Michaels then I would head south from there instead of crossing back to Deale/Galesville. There is not much in Deale other than lots of marinas, and the western shore is not nearly as interesting and secluded as the eastern shore.

If you want a secluded creek with the shortest trip, I would head south from St. Michaels, cut through Knapp's Narrows (sorta fun little diversion, if you draw under 5'), and then head up Harris or Broad creek. Grace Creek is a lovely area, with Bozman at it's head. Either area is within striking distance of Oxford if you want to head there on your second day, and provides a manageable trip back to Annapolis on your return.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, aries, dinghy