Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2012, 18:44   #16

Re: Chartering in the BVI's

Thanks for all the advice, thats a lot of good info. I agree we should have gone for at least 7 days on the water, but there's always next time.....
davemorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 20:41   #17

Totally agreed with forgetting the tieing up. We loved every minute of our bvi charter except for the two nights at the base and one night at spanish town (because it was soooo hot). That was because we were tied up with no breeze. Peter Island is less than 5nm, so grab a mooring or go drop the anchor somewhere.
iainonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 22:53   #18

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

davemorton, I own a share of a Beneteau 41 based in Tortola and have spent April every year for the last 15 years cruising the BVI's. The only thing that I could add to the excellent advice already given is heed the wind and swell direction when selecting an overnight anchorage just as you would anywhere. I can't speak to multi-hulls, but the wrong choice makes for a miserable night in a monohull. I believe that Moorings has an excellent cruiser's chart and there is an excellect spiral bound book called "Anchorages of the Virgin Islands" that gives excellent diagrams as well as aerial photos of the anchorages, available at most marine bookstores and probably at Amazon. Well worth the 20 bucks to add to your collection! If I can be of any help with specifics, don't hesitate to PM me or call 307-two five six-6650. gts1544 - George in Cheyenne
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 11:24   #19

Boat: Islander 32

Our favorites are: 1) The Bight and Willie T's (Be prepared to get off the chain...) 2) Cooper Island & Cooper Island Beach Club - Great Food in a relaxing atmosphere (Not sure if this is subject to Northerly swells we have only been in summer). 3) Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor @ Spanish town - Full service marina with numerous restaurants a very short distance. Call ahead on VHF to reserve a slip 4) The north sound either Saba Rock or Bitter End Yacht Club 5) Marina Cay - Pussers store and good restaurants ashore. Oooops, we're out of days..... Get a good Cruising Guide like the one by Nancy Scott Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands: Nancy & Simon Scott, Ashley Scott, Affinity Design, Ann Sabo: 9780944428917: Amazon.com: Books These guides show all the anchorages, entry's to the anchorages, Fees, activities ashore, etc. Invaluable to help you plan your trip. Have fun!!
dkb498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 11:59   #20

Definately get the cruising guide mentioned in the previous post. My charter company sends me a new one every year. With only four days you'll put some time in motoring but here is what I would do.

Day one - head over to the Bight at Nirman Is. And party on the Willie T. I would get a ball a but away from the Willie T but the noise isn't that bad .
Day two - head for Leverick Bay. Along the way stop at the Baths for a couple hour snorkel. Leverick has a BBQ party on fridays with mocki jumbie dancers and live music. Also a free bag of ice and some fresh water with the cost of your mooring ball.

Day three - head around to Foxys on Jost Van Dyke. Long day but a great buffet and party at Foxys.

Day four - head right around the corner from Foxys to White Bay and The Soggy Dollar Bar. Enjoy the beach till about 4pm the head over to the West End of Tortola and spend the night on a ball there. Go ashore for shopping and dinner at Pussers. Then in the morning a short motor back to the Moorings to turn the boat back in.

Have fun

Cheers

Ted
sixdaytk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 13:20   #21

If you plan on stopping at Marina Cay I would advise that you NOT plan on using their shower or laundry facilities. The showers and the bathrooms next to them are DISGUSTING! The laundry area looks like it's falling apart.

We were there in November and it was really bad. Pussers needs to either close down those facilities (and direct visitors to the bathrooms at the restaurant), or put some work into cleaning and repairing that crap-hole!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote