Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2018, 19:37   #1

Cancun to Miami

Hi! I'm trying to get a 45' catamaran from Cancun to the BVI. Prob leaving in a week or two. I've decided to ship the boat but in order to do that, I have to sail it to Palm Beach, Florida first. So I'm looking for advice on the passage from Cancun to Miami. Winds, currents, probability of weather during Jan/Feb, etc. My 1 crew and I aren't in a huge rush so we have the luxury of waiting for a good weather window. And we'd like to visit Cuba if that's an option. Please let me know what details I've left out and thanks in advance for your thoughts!
monkeymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 20:07   #2

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: Cancun to Miami

Once you make Cuba, why not sail to the BVi?
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 03:35   #3

@capstu - I struggled with your exact question for a while, and, sorry, I should have mentioned this... It's mainly for safety and timing reasons. Basically, this is a day charter boat not built or equipped for that sail. And I need it there quickly and safely. I would ship it from Cancun if I could.
monkeymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:35   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

First be aware that boats are not allowed to come directly from Cuba. Even if your boat is not USA flagged and the crew are not Americans. Yes, some people have gotten away with it, but others have been turned away. Personally I wouldn't risk it as getting turned away would really suck.

As to the trip. I did Cancun to Key West 2 years ago. We made the trip in just under 3 days. Its important to watch weather north of Miami for anything with a north bound component. Any north winds make the conditions VERY unpleasant. Jan-Feb can be a little difficult to find a good window. Would not be crazy to wait 3 weeks for a good window. I suggest you look up Chris Parker to help you with weather routing.

Good luck and fair winds.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancun, miami