Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 08:35   #1

BVI Moorings in Late November

Hello,
We are travelling to the BVIs in just over a week week. We will be chartering a 45' Cat. We were there lord knows about 20 years ago, and found getting moorings no problem at all, but I am reading and hearing alot about crowding and the need to get to a mooring no later than 3pm. We are also interested in going to Trellis bay for the Full Moon Party , and I am reading that you need to be there by 10:30 AM. Having said that almost all postings are from Feb to June, which is the high season. Can anyone let me know what the situation is likely to be like in late November / Early December?
Many thanks . (we are super excited)
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 08:45   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: BVI Moorings in Late November

Enjoy your trip.

I suspect you will find as most people do that moorings are not quite the big deal that everybody makes them out to be. Yes there will be more competition for prime mooring balls but Trellis Bay for instance has quite a few.

I suppose the best plan is to be flexible. Of course the full moon party is an example of something that you cannot put off till tomorrow, But you could choose to get there the day before and then spend the night.

Other plans can be made and then changed based on availability. As I am sure you remember most places in the BVI are only separated by a couple hours of sailing. If you plan to go see the baths one morning and you cannot find a mooring ball you can come back in the afternoon. The difference between one location on your list may be a couple hours sail.

I believe the key to having a good time chartering, much like cruising, will be flexibility.

Have a great trip.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 18:12   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

The season here is ramping up a bit. Trellis Bay is ALWAYS a potential problem on mooring space depending on what else is going on in the area. It is not unusual for people to head into Trellis a Day or even more ahead of time to assure themselves of getting a mooring. I know over the years, I've had difficulty in getting a ball if I delay until the day of the Full Moon Party.

Some areas are open to anchorages but these are often in very shallow locations and boats can get very close and it is not typically a nice way to be if any winds pop in from the East Northeast.

Other alternatives are go to a different mooring/ anchorage on Tortola and then take a taxi. One location is Penn's Landing in Fat Hog Bay, just the opposite side of Beef Island. You can generally find a mooring and take a taxi from that location. Some anchorage locations are also available but since two of the larger type commercial carriers anchor in the bay... I would not recommend someone with out local knowledge doing so over night. The good thing is most of the businesses should be open at Trellis for the next Full Moon Party.
Old 18-11-2012, 07:41   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
The season here is ramping up a bit. Trellis Bay is ALWAYS a potential problem on mooring space depending on what else is going on in the area. It is not unusual for people to head into Trellis a Day or even more ahead of time to assure themselves of getting a mooring. I know over the years, I've had difficulty in getting a ball if I delay until the day of the Full Moon Party.

Some areas are open to anchorages but these are often in very shallow locations and boats can get very close and it is not typically a nice way to be if any winds pop in from the East Northeast.

Other alternatives are go to a different mooring/ anchorage on Tortola and then take a taxi. One location is Penn's Landing in Fat Hog Bay, just the opposite side of Beef Island. You can generally find a mooring and take a taxi from that location. Some anchorage locations are also available but since two of the larger type commercial carriers anchor in the bay... I would not recommend someone with out local knowledge doing so over night. The good thing is most of the businesses should be open at Trellis for the next Full Moon Party.
Yep - Reality Check is right. I (and many others) feel that this season in BVI is going to be a cracker! The downside of course is that the more popular mooring fields (Cooper Is, The Bight, NorthSound, Soper's Hole, CGB, Trellis, etc) will fill up early. So, be flexible and brush up your anchoring skills.

Having lived in the sailing industry here for 20 years, my only real moan is that I have watched all the bays filled almost indiscriminately, with mooring balls, leaving very little room for sailors who prefer to anchor.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 16:06   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot

Having lived in the sailing industry here for 20 years, my only real moan is that I have watched all the bays filled almost indiscriminately, with mooring balls, leaving very little room for sailors who prefer to anchor.
That is absolutely frustrating to those of us who "used to have" nice little patches of sand to anchor on. I believe it's called progress!!!!!
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 17:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
That is absolutely frustrating to those of us who "used to have" nice little patches of sand to anchor on. I believe it's called progress!!!!!
Yep!! I must be a grouchy old NIMBY
Old 22-11-2012, 07:27   #7

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot

Yep!! I must be a grouchy old NIMBY
I was just reading on TTOL that about 11 mooring balls have been installed in White Bay, Jost in front of the Soggy Dollar. That should make for some interesting scenes with so many bound and determined to pack in there on the hook with moored boats free to swing around.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 09:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
I was just reading on TTOL that about 11 mooring balls have been installed in White Bay, Jost in front of the Soggy Dollar. That should make for some interesting scenes with so many bound and determined to pack in there on the hook with moored boats free to swing around.
Yes, I was over there a few week's ago and they hadn't all gone in. They are going to obstruct the middle entrance "fairway" (such as it is). I can't help feeling that they are going to shoot themselves in the foot as you could get more boats in when there was only anchoring there....oh well...we shall see!
There was a disaster last year when a crewed cat went aground off a mooring ball at the Eastern end of the bay....heck of a job to mend but the owner did very well and is back in business.
Old 22-11-2012, 09:16   #9

a good rule is always travel early. Get in the mode of arriving early every time you move, even if anchoring you get the best spots. Of course some idiot will pull in just before dark and anchor right next to you and put his fenders out so you dont bump too hard!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 13:47   #10

Does anyone have a good method for attaching to a mooring ball that does not have a pennant?
adventuresome is offline   Reply With Quote